Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Super Tenere, It's big.

Go down 
+3
66T
gatorfan
sophijo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sophijo

Super Tenere, It's big. Empty
PostSubject: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 6:03 pm

I sat on a Super 10 today, at the Motorcycle Expo, and I'm here to tell you that it is one BIG horse. Can't imagine riding it on the two trackers I take my WR through. This one even had a winch mounted on the rear! I guess for pulling buses outta the ditch. Just an interesting side note; there were no KTM dealers at the show; every one else but not them. Is that typical?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 7:15 pm

I suspect the winch is for pulling the Tenare out of the ditch.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 8:57 pm

You're right. They're huge! But here in Oz there are men who ride Super 10s, BMW1200s and 990ktms like they're mini bikes. Seriously, these people are fast over all sorts of terrain. Obviously, whooped-out mx tracks are out, but over adventure riding country I've never seen anything like it. Heroes all. Rear tyres are a maintenance item - almost check your oil and change a tyre. Unreal.  droooool 
Back to top Go down
Checkswrecks

PostSubject: It's big   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Yup, too big to go off road at all.
Super Tenere, It's big. Yamaha-xtz1200r-super-tenere-al-pharaons-rally-2011-gallery_3
(not photoshopped)

To compare with something like the WRR, there is a CRF250L in this video, where these Dutch guys "prove" the Tenere cant go off road:
 poser2 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLX8fgRgjI
btw - One of the KTMs shows the reason for the winch on the tail at 3:40.

Seriously, you just need to recognize that when the big girl is half way to the ground, you let it go and pick it up after. I find it slightly easier to pick up than a BMW R1200GS, because the Tenere cg is actually lower. The rest is all in your traction, like any other big dirt bike. Comparing the Tenere and CRF250L at 17:50-18:20 shows the benefit of the lighter bike when each gets hung on a log. The little bike is half the weight of a loaded Tenere, so it does take less muscle when off road and is more forgiving balance-wise, which is why I have both a Tenere & WRR.

My Tenere has been off road plenty and in the last 2 years it's been to the 4 corner States (AK, CA, FL, ME). It's in its' element on dirt/gravel roads, just as much as on the super slabs. 

Super Tenere, It's big. 3fb7aa8f[/url]

As for tires, yes you can shred them. On the other hand, my last K60 tire set lasted 17,000 miles. Coulda gone another 1 or 2 but the rear shoulders were just so squared that I wanted something that could handle well again.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Checkswrecks   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I like your two bike setup a lot. The Tenere looks like the perfect long haul bike; capable of secondary roads, two trackers, and 8 laners. Nice. I'm thinking solo geezer and won't be jumping any firetrucks. My agenda is definitely laidback. I use the WR to get closer to brook trout and such but am pondering bigger adventures. The Super 10 seems perfect for that.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Re; Video:

That's off-road???? My driveway is more challenging than that!!
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Off road   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 7:35 pm

That's off road for this geezer!
Back to top Go down
Checkswrecks

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Re; Video:

That's off-road???? My driveway is more challenging than that!!

In Florida????
 poser2 

Our WRRs may be better at this:
Super Tenere, It's big. DSC_1133

And plenty of dirt bikes are better going faster or steeper off-road, they lack the oomph to also do this with the same bike:
Super Tenere, It's big. Sized_P1040847_zpsf8161071

Sophijo - C'mon over to http://www.yamahasupertenere.com to learn more. There are a number of us now with the WRR and Super-T combo.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Ray & Karen   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm in!
Thanks
Dave
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 12:31 am

Checkswrecks wrote:
Yup, too big to go off road at all.

Bloody hell!! That is brilliant! I take back my mx track comment. That photo needs wide circulation imo.
Back to top Go down
Checkswrecks

PostSubject: Old video   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 am

Same guy as in the first photo, doing things I sure never could have. You realize how really tall he is when you see him get off at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyxbhOYlCQM&feature=player_embedded#at=25
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: scooter   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 pm

He sure is tall! .....and skilled.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Now that is humbling. Makes me realize how low my skills really are. Great to see someone handle a big bike like that. To me the most impressive part was going up the 3-4 steps to a 3 foot wide landing at top and not crashing into the wall.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Not to knock the guys skills but the vid got me wondering. How hard are a set of stairs? If you think about it you should be able to zip up and down easy enough. No?
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 2:43 am

saddletramp wrote:
Now that is humbling.  Makes me realize how low my skills really are.  Great to see someone handle a big bike like that.  To me the most impressive part was going up the 3-4 steps to a 3 foot wide landing at top and not crashing into the wall.  

Ditto. Sad, that. I am officially feeble. GAHHHH Shog 
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 am

gatorfan wrote:
Not to knock the guys skills but the vid got me wondering. How hard are a set of stairs? If you think about it you should be able to zip up and down easy enough. No?

No mate. Well, depending on the stairs, I guess. Peace YAM 
Back to top Go down
Red dust

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi. I`m a new forum member :-)

I got a Super Tenere which I love and can run circles around my mates off road bikes with this 640 pounds beast, very capable!

But... it is too heavy and too wide to get into deep bush and on single tracks so I need another bike (#4) and been looking at this little 250, also took it for a short spin.

Short test ride revealed: Good looking bike, very tall, very good suspension, tiny bike, very low on power but got used to it to some degree. Power would probably not be an issue at slow pace between trees in the forest on "goat" tracks. It is a Yamaha :-) which is my favorite brand.

Looked at WR250F, WR450F and a Husky TE511 but they require much more maintenance :-(

If I can get an amazing deal I might get the WRR one, will go to Queenslands largest ever bike show tomorrow :-o.....

This seems to be a great forum as the Super Tenere ones.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 am

Sounds like its gonna be a BIG expo up there... definately hit the yammie stand and talk to the guys. I honestly dont think there is a better bike on the aussie market that will meet your demands. And with the recent price drop the RRP is only $8000 + ORC.
Back to top Go down
Red dust

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks. YES I will have a talk to the Yammie guys at the stand :-)
Bike seems to be good, just feel strange to rev it so much the whole time, must be very well built to last.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Tenere, It's big.   Super Tenere, It's big. Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Tenere, It's big.
Page 1 of 1