Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
tawheed
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tawheed

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! Empty
PostSubject: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 3:23 am

Heya,

I've been riding since '97, done the sport bike thing up til '05 when I bought a DR-Z400SM, been bit by the supermoto bug ever since. I've since had a full race CRF450R and a Husaberg FS550E... I sold that thinking I'd get out of bikes altogether but am now being tempted by the WRX. The reason I like it is because it seems like solid, maintenance free fun. When I say maintenance free, I mean WAY less maintenance than was required on either my CRF or my Husa..

Either way, my big question is if I pick one of these up (leftover '08) what are the first mods to do w/out losing warranty? I've read up on the Flapper removal / airbox mod and that's about it.. Seems like the AIS shouldn't be removed until the exhaust system is replaced.. Also, for exhaust it seems most people are doing FMF, is there any major comparos yet?? That barrel 4 system or whatever on wheeling supply looks pretty neat!!

Also, how livable are these things as a fun street bike?? I know it's not going to be fast but is it fun enough?? The DR-Z was slow but it still usually put a grin on my face..

Here's some pics of my sumo history..

The DIRTY DRZZZ

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! N655675429_3092398_9801

The Honda

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! N655675429_1225546_5905

and the mighty Husa (about to crash)

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 786-8750

Any advice and info will be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 am

Howdy. :)

I've got a 2008 WR-250R (the on/off road version), so I'll just comment on a couple of general things which both bikes share.

No. 1 thing is to do the airbox flapper removal and install a fuel injection programmer like an FMF Power Programmer, Power Commander, or the Attitude programmer (which looks like a variation of the FMF item).
These things are a must if you want something that feels like a 250cc bike.
The EPA regs that the Japanese bikes must meet these days are rediculously tight, and stock, the bike feels like a TT-R125.
Once you do these mods, it runs well. :)

Will you like it and be satisfied?
Honestly, it depends on your personal view of light weight vs. power vs. maintenance.
Even though the WR ain't much lighter than the DR-Z (I also own a 2009 DR-Z400SM with lots o' mods) on the scales, it still feels smaller, lighter, and a bit more easy to manouver.
This is good.
The trade-off is that it's a 250.
It has enough power to avoid being called a slug, but it's not a 400.
It revs quite high, and getting max power means revs.
It's got good low end power, but won't launch you forward down in those regions.
Basically, if having killer power at your disposal ain't as important as just getting back out there with a fun little bike is, you'll probably like the WR.

The FMF Q4 muffler is popular, I feel, because it is easy to find, priced reasonably, and not too loud at all.
I'm using this along with the FMF Powerbomb head pipe.

As far as maintenance goes, it's just like any other Yamaha street bike:
Just the occasional basics like oil/oil filter/air filter services.
Nothing crazy or labor-intensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 1:45 pm

Having had the CRF series in my blood as well, I can also appreciate the lack of mantenance with the WR! thumb

If your worried about warranty, which surprises me, that all really depends on your DEALER to make that call... Just about anything we do to the bikes can be reversed if needed...

THe WR is a 250 but it is basically one cylinder off the R1 sport bike platform and comming off the CRF, it is a bit scary to rev the piss (and I mean piss) out of the WR but it loves it and can take WOT all day long, such as down the slab...

It will take you anywhere you want to go, just not at superbike speed but it can go down the interstate, highway or however far you wnat to go. The trade off is that it's like a dirt bike with a liscense plate! It is light and nimble compared to just about anything else with a plate on it and takes to the gravel roads naturally and that is a good thing cause the Gold Wing or RC51 on gravel is a white knuckle experience. My friends didnt understand why I got this bike and now they call it "The Gravel Bike" cause they decided I bought it just for that, but around here, that is a whole new place to play and I love it!

What I dont understand is why you would have decided to "get out of Bikes alltogether", which, to me, is like trying to quit smoking, or give up beer! scratch I mean, for me, that would be impossible. puke The WR is a great compromise, and really covers all aspects of motorcycling, in my opinion! Dont be a quitter, the older you get the faster you were...
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. I agree with YZetc on a Power Commander being a first mod for the bike. Any mechanical change to the bike changes the air to fuel ratio & needs a programmer to alter the fuel map according to the mods that are done. I just got an 09 WR250X a little over a month ago & got the PC III & removed the side cover of the airbox to allow better breathing & downloaded the fuel map from the PC website for this set-up. This helped the throttle response & it has better power at highway speed. The good thing is these mods won't be permanent so the bike can be put back to stock fairly easily for warranty repairs. The bike is very nimble & fun to ride. I agree with the others on the bike not being a big HP machine but it has more than one would expect from a 250. I traded in my 97 YZF600R for the WR cause I wanted a more versatile bike & it is! I miss the power of the 600 but I like having a bike I can handle. I'm 5'5" & only 145 lbs. so even a 600cc sportbike is a lot to muscle around for me. I think the WR would be a good choice if you want a fun solid dual sport for commuting & weekend rides. I'm sure more aftermarket mods for the WR will be coming out as the bike gets more popular like the DRZ. MP fabrication has a turbo kit for the WR that raises the stock 27HP to about 50HP.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

Just off the phone w/ a fellow called Shay at Abernathy's in Union City, TN
He said they have wr250r for 4,800 + 95 doc fee if out of state buyer.
4,900 + 95 doc fee for the x. 866-542-8058
Have a bud in FL that is lookin hard for one of these bikes.
Best price here has been 5,600 cost of bike & then the BS begins.
good luck

Nice pix too
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 am

PonchoV wrote:
Just off the phone w/ a fellow called Shay at Abernathy's in Union City, TN
He said they have wr250r for 4,800 + 95 doc fee if out of state buyer.
4,900 + 95 doc fee for the x. 866-542-8058
Have a bud in FL that is lookin hard for one of these bikes.
Best price here has been 5,600 cost of bike & then the BS begins.
good luck

Nice pix too

WOW! Those are some good prices on those WR's. I paid $5300 + tax for my X here in central Ohio.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Compare this new 08 to a new 09 & someone is going to be able to buy a lot of neat stuff for a fixin up wknd.....new suspenders or lub for that chain saw bar.
Back to top Go down
tawheed

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Does the "airbox mod" include both the flapper and removing the side door?

thanks
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:35 pm

There are more than a few ways to "mod" the airbox. The goal is just to get more air. The X guys can get away with just removing the door. I, by example of others, simply drilled a 1 1/2" hole through the top and used some oily pantyhose in efforts to create somesort of a pre-filter. I have an R and like to....ride dirty!

I must say that after opening the box a bit I'm finally seeing what everyone is talking about. I was worried there was something wrong with my bike. I spanned my mods over a few weeks and started with 12 t, then 606's, then 'tude tuner, then AIS removal/Flapper, then airbox mod. It's finally easy to get the front wheel up (im not a very good rider!) But anyway, the bike has a bit of attitude now. It's definately, smoother, snappier and louder. Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 61865
Back to top Go down
tawheed

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:37 pm

wildmotha wrote:
There are more than a few ways to "mod" the airbox. The goal is just to get more air. The X guys can get away with just removing the door. I, by example of others, simply drilled a 1 1/2" hole through the top and used some oily pantyhose in efforts to create somesort of a pre-filter. I have an R and like to....ride dirty!

I must say that after opening the box a bit I'm finally seeing what everyone is talking about. I was worried there was something wrong with my bike. I spanned my mods over a few weeks and started with 12 t, then 606's, then 'tude tuner, then AIS removal/Flapper, then airbox mod. It's finally easy to get the front wheel up (im not a very good rider!) But anyway, the bike has a bit of attitude now. It's definately, smoother, snappier and louder. Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 61865

Thanks for the info.. I'll be on an X, so remove the door while I remove the flapper and I should be okay?? Even w/out the power commander to begin with or should I wait and do it all at once?

thanks!
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

IMO get the power commander first.

You're welcome and welcome! Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 61865

Last edited by wildmotha on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tawheed

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:49 pm

wildmotha wrote:
IMO get the power commander first.

Thanks again, I'm very close to making this deal happen.. I wonder how a supermoto would be for some light dual sport riding.. Always have wanted to do some of that :)
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Ha ha! I'm new to dualsporting and everytime I get off my bike I'm pretty much like, "that's the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle..."

There are some guys on here who have thoroughly tested the limits on the X off-road and been fairly impressed.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 pm

tawheed wrote:
wildmotha wrote:

Thanks for the info.. I'll be on an X, so remove the door while I remove the flapper and I should be okay?? Even w/out the power commander to begin with or should I wait and do it all at once?

thanks!

You can actually just leave the flapper door alone because the side cover removal provides more air than the motor can take in so removing the flapper door won't hurt or help. It saves the hassle & time of removing it. Plus if you need to go back to bone stock, it's a snap to revert back. I would also recommend the Power Commander before the airbox mod to avoid running lean.
Back to top Go down
tawheed

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Picked it up today... pretty fun so far :)
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 am

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 10:13 am

wildmotha wrote:
oily pantyhose

Huh huh huh, he said oily pantyhose... huh huh Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 983966
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Welcome to the fold! Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 61865

Of course, I'm going to be the odd man out and say leave the bike alone for a while before you start modifying it. Hold back until you get a few thousand miles on it before deciding stuff needs to be changed. It gets a LOT better after the first 2000 miles. Mine runs so so much stronger at 14,000 miles than it did when it was new, and I haven't changed a thing on the motor except changing from the stock airfilter to a twinair and changed the gearing twice (once to 13/47 with the taller 120/90/19 D606, once to 14/47 with a short 110/80/18 Kenda K761). I made the gearing change at about 5500 miles, and the bike is noticeably stronger now that it was when I made the change.

If you plan on dirt rides, I'd add a skid plate before anything else. After that, ride it! Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 942737
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 am

oh yeah......something about the smell of oily panty hoes in the morning ........Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 53647
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:45 pm

SpaGuru wrote:
wildmotha wrote:
oily pantyhose

Huh huh huh, he said oily pantyhose... huh huh Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 983966

Bahh ha ha ha ha! Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 851577

From time to time, I find it necessary to make some pantyhose oily! Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! 810411
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!   Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info! Empty

Back to top Go down

Potential WR250X Owner - Give me some info!
Page 1 of 1