Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fork disassembly issue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LordEndo

LordEndo

Fork disassembly issue Empty
PostSubject: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:28 am

Trying to install gold valves and I can't get the compression valve out of the bottom of the fork. I'm using an impact and applying as much pressure (pull) on the damping rod as I can manage. Have retightened and tried again several times now. I've even tried securing the damping rod with chop sticks but the Allen bolt to the compression valve is just too tight. I don't have the race tech damping rod holder - I fail to see how it'll help.

I'll call race tech tomorrow, and probably resign to having to go to a local suspension shop unless somebody can give me a bit of wisdom...... baldy 
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 am

The damper rod holder actually holds the cylinder-shaped cartridge in there that the bottom valve threads into, not the damper rod that extends up to the fork cap (which is free to spin 'round and 'round).
Works like a charm.
I'd get it (or hand the forks over to a guy with the stuff to git 'er done) before you $$$ the fork parts.

Also, I've seen guys get that bottom valve off with the forks fully assembled, using an air impact gun.
Back to top Go down
mick wr250r

mick wr250r

PostSubject: fork issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:36 am

keep us posted on how you get it done i am going to have the same problem i think with mine
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:33 pm

I've resigned to needing a tool (the damping rod holder). However....I'm gonna make one. I'm taking lots of snaps and will post the whole process.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 am

i've just jammed a very long screw driver or soft bladed long instrument inside to keep the damper rod assembly from spinning as i used an impact on the other end...the tool is a long pipe with four "prongs" to hold the assembly from spinning...nothing slides on the inside of the inner tube so i wasn't worried about slight marring of the tube...
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm

The right leg is done - definitely made some mistakes along the way and was confused in a number of spots, but now it all makes sense. I put a couple of scars in the teflon on my outer bushing but am hoping it'll be okay for now. Fork tube seems to move nicely and doesn't leave any marks.

Racetech's info was a bit off, but I got some solid help from their techs and have the right info now.

Anyway, have a bunch of pics and am going to take step by step pics on the 2nd fork to try to avoid the same mistakes for others. Will also post pics of the docs. Stay tuned.....
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork disassembly issue   Fork disassembly issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Fork disassembly issue
Page 1 of 1