Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

LED H4

Go down 
+5
cloudbuster
4play
rocketjump
camaroz1985
NeilW
9 posters
AuthorMessage
NeilW

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Has anyone tried the LED H4s as a headlight bulb replacement?

I did a few searches, and was surprised to see no relevant results.

Like:

http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Daytime-Running-Lights-Lighting/dp/B0093XLGVM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391637158&sr=8-2&keywords=h4+LED
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I've seen some kits, but that isn't one you will want. You want a high powered CREE light. The one you posted is just to match the color of an HID light they don't put out much light.

Look for a kit similar to this.

http://electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/led-hl-h4.htm

Saw them in a VFR and a Yamaha FZ-09. Seems the output is highly dependent on the reflector design. Guess you would be the guinea pig. I have been thinking of it too, but with the ADV Monster LED fog lights I have on there now I don't feel the need to upgrade the headlight.
Back to top Go down
NeilW

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 7:36 pm

I am thinking that the fan is not that good of a thing to have on the WRR. Unless it is everything proof.

HID kits seem to be less, and no fan on the back.
Back to top Go down
rocketjump

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 7:46 pm

HIDs are temperamental and draw more power, but you're right about the fan likely being the weak point.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm very happy with this setup. The low beam is on a rotary dimmer that get's bypassed on high.

LED H4 Photo-7

That's two of ADVMonsters 60's, 3600 lumens each
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:21 am

4play wrote:
I'm very happy with this setup. The low beam is on a rotary dimmer that get's bypassed on high.

LED H4 Photo-7

That's two of ADVMonsters 60's, 3600 lumens each

Wow that cool.
Do you have a build link?
Is the whole thing plug and play? Easy to install and setup?

I always wanted to do something similar using HID projectors but now days LED are better for this.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

that's a piece of ABS plastic with two ADonster bulkhead mounts. It took me about an hour to lay it out and make it. Very simple, no mods to the original parts, the lights work awesome.
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Cool, so you removed complexly the stock housing?

I might give it a try there are so many nice LED now days don't know which one to pick
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 8:19 pm

I replaced the headlight with this

LED H4 Photo-15

Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 5:30 am

Nice so you can adjust them quite easy up/down left/right?
So you think the 60 are the ones to get for this mod?

Still considering if going this way or just add them as extras.

Are they to big to use on the forks?
Or handlebar mounted would be better for this ones?
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 4:38 pm

I have mine mounted on the forks now (in place of the reflectors), but I just put HDB handguards on, so I might attach them up there instead.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm

[quote="cloudbuster"]Nice so you can adjust them quite easy up/down left/right?
So you think the 60 are the ones to get for this mod?

Still considering if going this way or just add them as extras.

Are they to big to use on the forks?
Or handlebar mounted would be better for this ones?[/quoute] They could be made to fit other places. For the stuff I typically ride in, I like them in the housing out of harms way.
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 3:02 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bracky72

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 9:04 pm

I installed this led replacement bulb into my wr and am very happy the result.  I have used a 55 watt hid in the past and this is considerably better.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3000-Lumen-H4-H6-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

LED H4 Ledheadlight

Low beam
LED H4 Led1

High beam
LED H4 Led2
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Looks good, but it looks like it is very focused and it doesn't spread much light to the sides. Is that the case or is that just something with the pictures?
Back to top Go down
bracky72

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:43 am

camaroz1985 wrote:
Looks good, but it looks like it is very focused and it doesn't spread much light to the sides.  Is that the case or is that just something with the pictures?

It's better then the stock h4 but is limited by the crappy headlight housing on our bikes.  A worthy upgrade though.

My next step in total nighttime domination are these long range lights. I have them mounted but need to wire them up today.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/-Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxliary-light-Round_p_10.html

LED H4 Aux1
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 9:07 pm

bracky72 wrote:
camaroz1985 wrote:
Looks good, but it looks like it is very focused and it doesn't spread much light to the sides.  Is that the case or is that just something with the pictures?

It's better then the stock h4 but is limited by the crappy headlight housing on our bikes.  A worthy upgrade though.

My next step in total nighttime domination are these long range lights.  I have them mounted but need to wire them up today.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/-Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxliary-light-Round_p_10.html

LED H4 Aux1

I really don't think the head light housing is the issue here.

I bought one of these and played around with it for a bit and got a lot of light scatter with this set up but that actually maybe beneficial as I will explain in a bit.

Our standard housing is design to cast light is a rather uniform pattern from an H4 incandescent bulb. The reflector and housing are designed to focus the light from filament(s) at a certain wavelength spread. This LED bulb tries to emulate this by arraigning 3 10 watt emitters on planes that are set at 120 degrees from each other. The top two emitters are on for low beam and the bottom one turns on for high beam. The result is too far from the pattern that the housing was designed to focus and the end result is more light scatter than you typically would see with a regular H4 bulb. However, since there is more light available the end result some what compensates for the increased scatter.

What is interesting is that when I ride down a trail when it is dark out with my H4 bulb and two LED spots that are mounted on my handlebars I am always wanting more light thrown to the sides and less out front. I was in the process of changing out the LED spots for a different LED with a wider beam spread.

However after playing around with this LED headlight bulb tonight I am thinking that I may just leave that in there and connect the LED Spots to a dimmer to drop the power when I am on low beam.

I just love to tinker with stuff like this.
Back to top Go down
Nine Ways

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptySat May 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Since I put a pair of ADVmonster Model 60 LED lights mounted to my handguards, I always notice that the stock headlight is anemic in comparison. We have been testing LED headlights and came up with a design that works great. I now have one mounted in my stock headlight housing and all I can say is WOW! Now my headlight puts out as much light as my 60s (when dimmed) and it is the same bright white color as my aux lighting.

As the previous poster said, the LED headlight works a bit different from a standard incadescent bulb. Where an old fashioned dual element bulb will burn brighter on high, the LED light mimics a high beam by turning on some leds that shine at a higher level. The light coming from the LED light is so much more "whiter" that it appears brighter.

This is our new light: LED H4 Headlight Bulb

LED H4 IMG_20140413_165255_938
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 2:53 pm

bracky72 wrote:
I installed this led replacement bulb into my wr and am very happy the result.  I have used a 55 watt hid in the past and this is considerably better.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3000-Lumen-H4-H6-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

LED H4 Ledheadlight

Low beam
LED H4 Led1

High beam
LED H4 Led2

Looks great !!!

Could you post an update about this bulb now that you've used it more?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED H4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED H4   LED H4 Empty

Back to top Go down

LED H4
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: