Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
250riders

250riders

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  Empty
PostSubject: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 am

After switching from the prior week with a group of KLR riders that I have ridden with over the years, I found my riding friend heading out a week later with riders from advrider .com  Their annual DVDAZE 2014 held around the last week of each January.  I packed (ok maybe overloaded) the poor WR250X with all my latest purchases and mods and headed out from the Central Coast of Calif on a Thursday.  
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0806_zps77d41bf7

Pure rain for the next four hours.  I stopped at a local winery near our home and added some additional rain gear.  My new "waterproof" Joe Rocket was letting in some water somewhere. Everything was not to bad until I arrived near the Mojave desert and signs warned of high winds.  Expected 20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 50.  While riding on Hwy 395 North of Mojave, I got hit by three gusts that threw the WR into some nasty headshake and pushed me from the left side of the right lane into the shoulder.  Still, the WR did great getting me out of that windy mess.  Here is picture where there was a break in the rain in Maricopa.

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0808_zps4bd2d354

I wasn't worried as the other 4 bikes I had ridden this route on handled the winds pretty decent.  What I forgot was that I had about 25hp with the WR.  The head winds which I seem to have whether I was coming or going  dddog took care of the WR even thinking about maintaining the speed limit.  I can't remember but I think there were hours where I had the throttle pinned for hours.  Here somewhere about 80 miles West of Death Valley before Panamint Springs.

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0819_zpsb9c23fee

Spent the night in Lone Pine Ca. as I did not have a reservation in D.Valley that first night.

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0809_zpsa5a9f6be

The next day headed over 190 surrounded by snow and some really cold weather.  Arrived on Friday at the Furnace Creek campground where three or four hours later my friend arrived on his KTM 990 and his friend on a newly purchased BMW 1150GS with 105K miles on it.  This picture is just as I entered Death Valley National Park.  Cooked our Mountain House food in the campsite as 18.00 hamburger dinners at the local cafe didn't seem right.  Went on some nice rides on Saturday around Death Valley including Titus Canyon which is about a 50 mile pavement ride and then a 22 mile dirt ride.  

Here I met a guy from the UK that asked how I brought my Yamaha 660 Tenere into the states.  He was surprised it was a 250.

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0821_zpsd989a0ee
Furnace Creek Campground with just the WR
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0823_zpsc5aa50d1
The Big Bore Boyz arrive at the campsite
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0828_zpsd5a6dd2c

Top of Titus Canyon
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0834_zps7be9ac4a
Start of Titus Canyon from the Nevada side
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0832_zps099ec812
Titus Canyon
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0835_zps3282844f
Ubehebe Crater Death Valley
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0837_zps36f0516f

Headed out on Sunday towards Panamint Valley and hit some really cold weather.  Probably in the low to mid 30's with more wind.  Hit Tehachapi and the weather report showed the temp at 30 degree's with a "feels like" 21 degree's.  The little WR pulled me home on Monday by completing 950 total miles.  Not sure but looks like I might have a minor oil leak but won't know for sure until I clean her up.

Trying to escape the rain under an old crop barn off the 5 Freeway near Metler Ca.
950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCN0848_zps0d0d4427
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Small world, I just got home from Furnace Creek today & I saw you ride through the camp ground.
I did 950 miles of Death Valley, but trucked it too & from AZ.
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey 4 Play,

I assume you were on your WR there? I did see a blue WR250R around. Were you there with the ADVRIDER group?

This summer I would like to check out Cottonwood AZ. Are you anywhere near there? Just wondering what the area is like.

Thanks!
Jon
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Several of us are on ADVrider, but this we were not on an ADV ride. Just a few buds hanging out.

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCF2197

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCF2214

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  DSCF2243-1

There is some riding around Cottonwood. Depending on what you like to ride & the time of year, there is a loop that includes Casner Mountain that loops through Jerome for lunch & back.

Back to top Go down
Little Ripper

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Great pics Jon, thanks for posting. I'm hoping to get to DV in March or April. Titus Canyon is on my list.....  thumb
Back to top Go down
jckid

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm a little slow finding this thread.  Great trip report.  I go to Death Valley several times a year, and it never gets old.  I have a picture of my bike in that same spot at Father Crowley Point.  I love your setup.  I'm in the process of converting my X to a 19"/17" wheels too.  I'm getting the same front tire size, 110/80-19, but a slightly smaller rear tire (130/80-17).  Going to give TKC80's a try.  Those Karoo 3's look good on your bike.  I was wondering where you found your tank graphics.  They look great.  My X is white, but seems like they might still look good.  Also, I was wondering what gearing you are running.  I've only run stock gearing, since I use the bike for travel too, but with the new tire and wheel sizes, I was considering going up a tooth or two in the back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider    950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider  Empty

Back to top Go down

950 Mile Death Valley Ride with ADVRider
Page 1 of 1