Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Side Stand Switch

Go down 
+7
Broo C em
MeefZah
rydnseek
ZED
YZEtc
mwakey
WRRSam
11 posters
AuthorMessage
WRRSam

WRRSam

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 5:20 am

I've heard of people removing these and I'am considering doing it but is it really worth doing?
What is the chance of it blocking up and stopping the engine? GAHHHH
Any info on how to remove it would also be good thumb but it can't be to hard can it?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 6:12 am

Very simple to remove. Just unplug it and take it off. Then connect the two wires on the engine plug side so the ECU thinks the sidestand is up all the time.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 am

A key reason they're removed is if you run into situations where the side stand is temporarily moved downward enough to trigger the switch and momentarily cut the engine just when you don't need it cut.
Examples are when moving around on the bike and stepping on the side stand with your heel or hitting a big g-out or when landing from a jump. :)

These switches have been on Yamaha dual-purpose and street bikes since 1982.
I had a 1982 XT-200J that eventually had the switch start sticking in the "stand down" position even after the stand was put up.
This was due to lots of off-road use and tons of dirt, dust, and watery grit thrown at it, and the switch eventually cried "uncle!".
Same thing happened to my sweet 1990 DT-200RA, although, again, this was after many a' off-road mile put on it.

A shot of WD-40 freed the XT-200J switch up and probably would have done the same for the DT, but it was a great excuse to get rid of them.
In fact, I even removed the switch from that DT-200RA out in the field, connected the wires, and kept riding.

I'll probably remove the one on my WR-250R now that I'm thinking of it. :)
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 11:35 am

The side stand and clutch switches are there as safety (stoopidity) devices. I tend to leave them on until they start malfunctioning. My KLR doesn't have any of them. My Ducati has them fortunately because it's about the only bike that I forget to put the side stand up on. My WRX still has them but that may be changing as something was preventing the starter from running for about 5 minutes at the gas station the other day. It's likely one of the safety switches or the starter button itself.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 4:21 pm

first thing i did was remove the kickstand switch & clutch switch.. i've had both malfunction on other bikes in the past, & don't really need them. Just don't start in gear with the clutch out.

They are easy to take off. I put a jumper on the kickstand switch.. the clutch you can just unplug.. or is it the other way around? It's easy to do a search for this easy mod.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 pm

rydnseek wrote:
first thing i did was remove the kickstand switch & clutch switch.. i've had both malfunction on other bikes in the past, & don't really need them. Just don't start in gear with the clutch out.

They are easy to take off. I put a jumper on the kickstand switch.. the clutch you can just unplug.. or is it the other way around? It's easy to do a search for this easy mod.

You are correct.

I also removed mine before I had ridden even the first 10 feet. Rolled it off the trailer, in the garage, and started unbolting stuff. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Broo C em

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 5:13 pm

.. . here in 'DownUnderLand' we have LOTS of farm gates to go thru, & with the switch removed I find I can often have the stand down before I stop, making it easier to jump off, open the gate, put the bike back in gear (especially on uphills) to drive it thru the gate without getting on & off again OR having to put he stand up & down again to close the gate . . .. .. OTOH I wouldnt dream of disconecting the device on any road bike. Falls offof a traileybike are just par-for-the-course, but certainly not with a roadeybike.

Another worthwhile mod (imho) worth consideringt is to weld a larger foot/pad onto the bottom of the sidestand, to make the bike less likely to settle into soft mud/grass/sand etc.
In my case, somewhere in the shed I've a LONG piece of 2"x1/4" flat plate 'stock' which I've used for this mod on numerous bikes. Just cut about a 3" pc off, round the corners with the grinder, work out the best orientation for it so that when the stand is up most of the extra pad length is upwards (ie less likely to snag on stumps/rocks etc).
Then put the bike on the stand with the extra plate under the stock foot (so the booster-plate will be flat on the ground when in use), & tack weld it in place. Swing the stand up again just to make sure nothing clashes anywhere, then put it down again & run the weld right around . .. . a final squirt of black enamel & it'll look like it came from the factory!

HTH
BrooC wink
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I disconnected mine, unplug it under the seat, make up a jumper wire and plug it in. The only reason I did this was to prevent any damage to the switch or wiring that could happen out in the trails that would render the bike dead. It is easier to do at home the right way as opposed to mcgyver in the field.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 am

Broo C em wrote:
.. . here in 'DownUnderLand' we have LOTS of farm gates to go thru, & with the switch removed I find I can often have the stand down before I stop, making it easier to jump off, open the gate, put the bike back in gear (especially on uphills) to drive it thru the gate without getting on & off again OR having to put he stand up & down again to close the gate
I have devloped my own gate own opening method after many years riding around our farm.
When near gate slow down and when your front wheel touches it put it on full lock. Lean over handle bars and open gate. Drop gate on ground. Ride over gate. Put stand down get off shut gate. Get back on bike put the stand up and take off with lots of wheel spin. Very happy
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 9:19 am

I finally got around to removing the switch today. Easy as, all you have to is remove the side cover cut the wires and twist the ends together then tape them up, then you chop the cable ties holding the wire in and screw the switch off, put the cover back on and thats it.
That's another 110g off my bike Very happy
Back to top Go down
RichardU

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:29 pm

A nice thing I've noticed about the WR is that it doesn't require the clutch be pulled in to start when the bike is in neutral. The DRZ is not that smart.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 4:48 pm

How easy does the sidestand want to "pop" back up on it's own if I forget to put it up ? My bike is laid up for the winter so I can't do any testing myself and I'm tempted to pull the switch altogether but once in a blue moon I do forget and try to leave with it down. Shog Very happy
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Pic after attack of the angle grinder. Looking now for a lighter pipe. Existing stand is way to weighty wrot.

Side Stand Switch Copyofcimg4918
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Side Stand Switch
Page 1 of 1