Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sputtering backfires and bogging

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Texan Dude

Sputtering backfires and bogging Empty
PostSubject: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 8:58 pm

I've had my 2008 WRX for about a year now and ive been having throttle problems since last fall. It stated with needing to let the bike idle for a few minutes before setting off or it would cut out as soon as i blipped the throttle. It then turned into starting to bogg down horribly the first few times accelerating from a stop on a ride, but after that it was all good.

Yesterday i went out for a ride because it finally got above 50 and the bike cut out twice trying to leave the parking lot (even after letting it warm up). It did the bogging under acceleration as usual for the first stoplight but when i got in the frontage road and opened her up to full throttle it started rapid backfiring horribly through several gears and i had to pull off the road.

I started off again and something felt really wrong during high RPMs. It had no power and was prone to backfiring after anything above about 6000. Then it kept dying while idling and cutting out when i tried pulling away from a stop.

I pulled into a parking lot and tried to mess with the FMF programmer but nothing helped (its always been on the settings they recommend for my mods).

I eventually got it home having to hold RPMs when stopped and being absurdly slow and easy with the throttle when pulling away. Today i disconnected the programmer but it does the same thing with stock programmer (dying if i try to do any throttle before its been idling for a few minutes, dying if i throttle quickly, and backfiring like a sunabitch once i get above 6000RPM or so.

The only thing i can think of since its not the programmer is that the jets need to be cleaned. I might try finding some fuel additive to try and clean them becuse getting the throttle body out is a pain in the a** and i dont have the time or tools up here at college.

Any advice yall have would be greatly appreciated. I use this bike to get to class and really need it up and running.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 am

Can you pull the fuel pump and take a look to see if the filter is plugged up?
Back to top Go down
Texan Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 am

Maybe i will have time next weekend to do it. If it is clogged up what could i do to ensure it doesnt again?
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 am

Hey mate i would start off by replacing the spark plug....Cheap and relatively easy to replace + several others with similar symptoms have solved the issue with a new plug.

How many miles on the ODO overall, also how many miles have you done since ownership ? ( Have you ever inspected / replaced the plug ? ).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Texan Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm

The bikes got around 23000 i think (havnt noticed in a while). Got it with 20k. I rebuilt the top end over the summer and the spark plug didnt look too bad but it'd be worth replacing while ive got the tank off to check the fuel filter. Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down
Texan Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Heres what the plug looked like last july:

Sputtering backfires and bogging 20130811
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Not sure if the filter is serviceable on the fuel pump. I don't think so.

I do have a pump assembly from my 2012 that has a broke outlet tube - broke it when I made a bonehead move removing the tank.

PM me if you should think you would need it.
Back to top Go down
Texan Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 1:45 am

Thanks for the offer, Ill keep it in mind.

I got out and rode it today despite being in the 40's outside. It felt a lot better, not as prone to cutting out and only did the backfiring thing twice. I think in going to get some Seafoam and put a little in the tank and see if it helps any. I just don't have the time or facilities to do much else till spring break.

Ill update here whenever something new happens.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 am

Texan Dude wrote:
Heres what the plug looked like last july:

Sputtering backfires and bogging 20130811

What a few have found is that the ceramic on the plug has cracked......so the "check your spark plug" suggestion is just that. Just inspect it for broken/cracked ceramic. Of course, you'll need to remove it to do that so checking the condition of the electrode isn't a bad thing to do either.  thumb 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Texan Dude

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Replaced the spark plug and shes good as new. it wasnt all that bad looking but the cathode? (middle part) looked worn or kinda eroded at the tip.

Thanks for the help guys
-Colt
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 am

Always nice when it turns out to be something simple.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 am

Thanks for the follow up & outcome Colt......

It is often too easy for any of us to "overlook" some of the basic things that would almost seem too simple to consider. But obviously on a single cylinder Hi-Comp engine, the ignition system & spark plug are absolutely critical.

Anyway glad that you got it sorted with minimal fuss mate.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sputtering backfires and bogging   Sputtering backfires and bogging Empty

Back to top Go down

Sputtering backfires and bogging
Page 1 of 1