Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Result of sidestand abuse

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rocketjump

Result of sidestand abuse Empty
PostSubject: Result of sidestand abuse   Result of sidestand abuse EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:05 pm

As I retracted the landing gear the other day, I noticed the stand swinging home did not make the satisfying clunk that it normally would.  I took a closer and look and found that the lower of the two mounting bolts (Part #25) had worked lose and completely fallen out.  This possibly explained why, a few days earlier, I did a wheelie that ended with error code 19 (side stand switch error).  The bike cutting out after landing the front wheel was not a great feeling.  I bought a replacement bolt from the hardware store to hold me over until my next order of stock parts.  

The next day I parked where I always park at my local grocery store.  I was amused to see a grimy old bolt lying on the ground that looked suspiciously similar to the bolt I had just bought.  I am not 100% sure, but I have a strong feeling that this is my missing bolt.

Result of sidestand abuse 20140228_173809_zps8482a284

As you can see, the threads are extremely worn down.  I am pretty sure this is from a combination of:

-Previous owner removed the stand and painted it black, and did not appear to use a thread locker upon re-install
-Repeatedly supporting the bike on just the stand
-Free play in the stand bracket?
-Crashing and stuff

The hole in the stand bracket that this bolt passes through (threading is on the frame only) seems to be slightly wider than the bolt.  The fiche does not show a collar on the bolt, but it seems like it should have one.  Plus, my bracket is bent inwards somewhat - consistent with supporting the weight of the bike.  Not sure if that was me or if I bought it that way.  Regardless, the wear on the upper area of the bolt is also consistent with the theory that the bracket had some free play.

Just a PSA that spinning the bike on the stand might have some negative consequences, but so minor that it is probably not a big deal.  And always do your TCLOCS! :p
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Bolt   Result of sidestand abuse EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks for the headsup!
Back to top Go down
Dmonkfunk

Dmonkfunk

PostSubject: Re: Result of sidestand abuse   Result of sidestand abuse EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm

I had the same thing happen! only I never saw the bolt. I felt the kickstand wobble when trying to flick it out with my foot. Not a huge problem because I keep a whole lot of spare hardware for these types of events, but I def slopped some blue loctite on. Anyone have other bolts to check?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Result of sidestand abuse   Result of sidestand abuse Empty

Back to top Go down

Result of sidestand abuse
Page 1 of 1