Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

PCIII or EJK Programmer?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublesome222

PCIII or EJK Programmer? Empty
PostSubject: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 am

I've had my '08 WRX since this past Aug. I got a list of mods that have been done from the previous owners. They had added a few bolt-ons and had performed the EXUP and flapper mods. I bought the bike thinking I could just continue with mods. So far I have added; Pro Taper bars, Righteous Stunt clutch lever, new mirrors, Delta Barrel 4 full exhaust, DIY axle sliders, Chain & Sprockets 14/49. It might even have the speedo healer on it, need to track that down.

PCIII or EJK Programmer? 3

The bike runs great but is a little sluggish in the bottom of 2nd and it pops (backfires) upon deceleration.

So,last week I finally decided to order a FMF Programmer. Well, they were out of the FMF so they sent me the EJK. No Biggie since EJK makes the FMF. Last night I tore the bike apart to install it and I found that something else was plugged into the injector.
PCIII or EJK Programmer? 012

I traced the wires and found a Power Commander III sitting under the headlight.

PCIII or EJK Programmer? 011

I am really surprised that it has a PC hooked up. It doesn't run like it has one, even before I made any mods. It must just be running on stock settings.

My dilemma is; I opted for the EJK (FMF) because of the simplicity of setting it up and changing the setting to better work with the setup on my bike. I didn't get the PC because trying to find a map that worked well with my setup and having to try multiple maps just seams way to time consuming. I want to ride my bike, not sit around trying to figure out what map is best for how I chose to build my bike.

I could:
1) Pull the PCIII & sell it, install the EJK, make the settings and be done.
2) Sell the EJK (or try to return it), track down the software and connecting wires for the PC then hope that my old @$$ laptop will run the software, spend time trying out different maps searching for the perfect one.
3) Sell both the PCIII and EJK and buy a PCV, then still have to search for the perfect map.

Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 am

If you have a laptop, the tuning of the PC is actually very simple. The advantage of the PC over the FMF type is the ability to take away fuel where needed, .
The PCV is smaller than the PC3 & has the ability to accept the auto tune if you where so inclined. I don't know of any other advantage of the PCV over the 3.

Some of what you are describing sounds like it's just a bit lean in the 0-5%, adding 10% fuel in those tables is just a mouse click away.

Back to top Go down
Troublesome222

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I talked to a tech today @ Power Commander. Tonight I will try to download their software onto my laptop. If I am able to change the map then I will probably keep the PCIII.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Troublesome222 wrote:
I talked to a tech today @ Power Commander. Tonight I will try to download their software onto my laptop. If I am able to change the map then I will probably keep the PCIII.

Or do a web search and find a dyno shop nearby and they can dial it in for you on the dyno. May cost you some money but at least you aren't guessing about the A/F ratio then.
Back to top Go down
Troublesome222

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 am

rsteiger wrote:

Or do a web search and find a dyno shop nearby and they can dial it in for you on the dyno.  May cost you some money but at least you aren't guessing about the A/F ratio then.

I'm to cheap for that.

Downloaded the software from PC and found a few maps. I looked them over to see witch one seamed like it would give me the performance I'm looking for. Installed one of them on the PC3 and really enjoyed it on the 7 mile ride in to work. Hopefully I can take it out this weekend and really run it.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 am

Troublesome222 wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

Or do a web search and find a dyno shop nearby and they can dial it in for you on the dyno.  May cost you some money but at least you aren't guessing about the A/F ratio then.

I'm to cheap for that.

Downloaded the software from PC and found a few maps. I looked them over to see witch one seamed like it would give me the performance I'm looking for. Installed one of them on the PC3 and really enjoyed it on the 7 mile ride in to work. Hopefully I can take it out this weekend and really run it.

It could be one of those pay me now or pay me later scenarios. I believe one of the guys on this forum decided to run an off the shelf map on a big bore motor he built. The motor didn't last very long from what I understand.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 am

rsteiger wrote:
Troublesome222 wrote:

^^^

What he said. Since you already have the PC, bite the bullet and just get the bike set up right. You won't regret it.  No off the shelf map will be perfect.
Back to top Go down
Troublesome222

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 am

One of the problems I have with spending the $ getting the bike dyno'd is that I am not done mod'ing it. I don't want to spend the $ right now and in a couple months have to do it again.

I found a guy with similar mods that had a few different maps, a couple of them are dyno tuned maps. I am currently running one of those maps.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 am

Based on my bike and playing with the auto tune, I don't think you're likely to hurt anything with pipe and airbox mods as long as you don't take fuel away from the stock map unchecked.

That said, my current map takes away fuel in about as many points as it adds.

The spare engine I bought was a siezed Athena 290 kit that was run lean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PCIII or EJK Programmer?   PCIII or EJK Programmer? Empty

Back to top Go down

PCIII or EJK Programmer?
Page 1 of 1