Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front brake melted shaved or warped

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Smashey

Front brake melted shaved or warped Empty
PostSubject: Front brake melted shaved or warped   Front brake melted shaved or warped EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 pm

So I switched from the warp9 dirt rims to go for my first ride on the streets today and after a few red lights and getting about 20 km from my house my front break was making some noises. I went to brake and felt something like a warped rotor and immediately was worried my wheel was gonna fall off lol so I pulled over to see my brake disk and calliper fighting for the same space. I'm thinking I put my spacers in wrong cause they fell out a few times while changing it.
Any thoughts/any input  would be appreciated.
Thanks

Front brake melted shaved or warped <a href=Front brake melted shaved or warped Photo11" />

dunno baldy 
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front brake melted shaved or warped   Front brake melted shaved or warped EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 am

I would definitely check the spacers.

Do you have a stand or lift that allows you to support the bike with the entire front end off the ground?

You want that front wheel to pretty easily free spin with very minimal drag on disc from brake pads.

I'd bet, based on your post that either your spacers need to be switched, or perhaps your brake pads aren't "releasing" when you let off brakes. Perhaps forks are twisted a bit.  dunno 

Get front end elevated off ground. Might want to use a bungee cord or two to hold handlebars straight.
Spin that front wheel, squeeze brake. Let off brake spin front wheel. Repeat. Should be able to get a few complete rotations of wheel/tire without huge effort when not testing brake pad release.

You should hear a very minimal, but consistent noise as the front brake pads will evenly skim the brake disc, but the wheel should spin fairly easily. You should basically be able to "balance" your front wheel/tire assembly this way.

If you're hearing noise, nothing, noise, nothing....or wheel/tire just stops quickly without applying brake pressure, you've got some issues.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Smashey

PostSubject: Re: Front brake melted shaved or warped   Front brake melted shaved or warped EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks I don't have a stand I used a milk crate with a couple 2x4 which had the tire on the ground. Thanks for the input
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front brake melted shaved or warped   Front brake melted shaved or warped Empty

Back to top Go down

Front brake melted shaved or warped
Page 1 of 1