Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gearing Question

Go down 
+2
rsteiger
sdowiat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowiat

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Mine's an 08 WX, low miles, great shape. I'm currently running the stock gearing although I have bought both a 14 tooth to try on the street and a 12 for the dirt that I'm now afraid to use. Don't need my swingarm chewed up.

Question - I'm new to regearing - If I go to the 14 and try to lower my street crusing RPMs', I know it will make acceleration slower... right? But if as I accelerate, I stay in lower gears longer, won't that compensate to a large degree? Also, will that stock plastic cover still work with a 14?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

sdowiat wrote:
Mine's an 08 WX, low miles, great shape.  I'm currently running the stock gearing although I have bought both a 14 tooth to try on the street and a 12 for the dirt that I'm now afraid to use. Don't need my swingarm chewed up.

Question - I'm new to regearing -  If I go to the 14 and try to lower my street crusing RPMs', I know it will make acceleration slower... right?  But if as I accelerate, I stay in lower gears longer, won't that compensate to a large degree?  Also, will that stock plastic cover  still work with a 14?

I wouldn't let your fear stop you from trying the 12 tooth.   The is a plastic chain guard on the swing arm to protect it and as long as that is in decent shape nothing will happen to you swing arm in the short term.  Go ahead and try it out but make sure you have the chain tensioned properly.  Many people run a 12 tooth front sprocket without an issue.  If you like the gearing of the bike with the 12 tooth you can always order new sprockets and chain if you still have the 12 tooth fear.

I copied this from the Sprocket and Chain Subforum on the this site and it should give you an idea of what is available:

STOCK:
13/43 = 3.31

12/43 (most popular alternate choice) = 3.58

CHAIN OPTIONS

110 Link:
13/45 = 3.46

12/46 = 3.83
13/46 = 3.54
14/46 = 3.29

13/47 = 3.62
14/47 = 3.36

112 Link:
13/46 = 3.54
14/46 = 3.29

12/47 = 3.92
13/47 = 3.62
14/47 = 3.36

12/48 = 4.0
13/48 = 3.7
14/48 = 3.42

13/49 = 3.77
14/49 = 3.50

13/50 = 3.85
14/50 = 3.57

I have two sets of wheels myself for my WRR and I run a 14 tooth front sprocket with a 48 tooth rear on my street tires and a 50 tooth rear on my offroad tire setup.

The stock cover will fit with a 14 tooth sprocket up front.

Generally speaking for tight off road riding you want a larger ratio which allows for the motor to spin more for a given speed. This helps when you are trying to navigate though some tight stuff since the motor is in it's power band and less likely to lug.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 pm

sdowiat wrote:
If I go to the 14 and try to lower my street crusing RPMs', I know it will make acceleration slower... right?  But if as I accelerate, I stay in lower gears longer, won't that compensate to a large degree?

Doesn't work that way.
Every gear will be taller, and the engine will be pulling against taller gearing in every gear at every RPM.
Whether or not it is acceptable is up to you.

I'd simply stay with stock gearing for open-road cruising as it's tall enough.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 pm

I did 14 for a while, didnt make a noticeable difference on fuel mileage and didnt really keep the revs down like you would think. You end up going a little deeper into each gear if you want to maintain the same exceleration you had before so the revs end up about the same. It also extends the speed range you stay in 5th instead of getting into 6th. Then when you get up into the high speeds you're actually using the and need the power because its as aerodynamic as a brick and low on poer. Its not like my VTX where you have the throttle turned mostly to maintain the revs required not supply power, in that case higher gearing probably would help a lot.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 5:20 am

1) swingarm gets "eaten" by having improper chain tension and by not checking the plastic "slider" on the swingarm regularly. Sprocket size isn't the main issue in those cases. Usually it's having the chain too tight and not paying attention to what's going on. In other words - human error.

2) Stock gearing is boring as hell on the street. Go bigger in back. You'll need a longer chain, and a speedo correction device, but generally speaking it's the best bang for your buck change you'll make to the bike.

3) By going to a 14 on front you'll make the bike even more boring on the street......Prius drivers will be flipping you off for holding them up..... hide lol! get the f out 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Rushblur

Rushblur

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyWed May 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Does anyone have a chart or list showing the speed and rpms for each gear - with sprocket sizes noted?

The real question I'm trying to answer is what are the rpms in sixth gear 13/43 going 70mph via gps compared to 14/50.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question EmptyThu May 22, 2014 5:22 am

Rushblur wrote:
Does anyone have a chart or list showing the speed and rpms for each gear - with sprocket sizes noted?  

The real question I'm trying to answer is what are the rpms in sixth gear 13/43 going 70mph via gps compared to 14/50.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/ <--- clicky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing Question   Gearing Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearing Question
Page 1 of 1