Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Central Jersey Commuter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Electrojake

PostSubject: Central Jersey Commuter   Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

New 2014 WR250R so I'm here to learn how to convert it from an anemic stock enduro to a modded & farkled 80/20 Dual-Sport.
To better understand my target with this bike; it is going to be used to commute about 110 miles a day on the super-slab so it obviously will need some performance & comfort alterations.
(several thousand dollars in mods just to make it "typical") Yup, I know the deal. Rolling Eyes 

With tech-help from the crew here I'm sure this lil' WR is gonna' be a blast to mod!
Cheers,
-Ej-

Last edited by Electrojake on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Less is always better.)
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Central Jersey Commuter   Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:15 pm

With this bike, you can get where you want to be with very little investment.

If you are slabbing most of the time, might want to consider more street oriented tires, or have another set to switch.

Gearing. Gearing. Gearing. This is going to be your #1 mod. Sprockets are fairly cheap. Search around and see what others are running. I have the 'X' version, which has 17" wheels so my gearing might not be ideal for you, but with the stock 13 tooth front and a 45 tooth rear sprocket, 70 mph is a reasonable cruising speed, topping out in the mid 80s.

Note: this is a lightweight bike with upright seating posture, so you are going to get blown all over on the highway. Just know that in advance...

Performance mods are pretty basic on this bike. Exhaust pipe and airbox mods if you want it louder and slightly more power, fuel tuner if you go that route. Can be had for less than $500. More advanced mods for slightly more low end torque: big bore kit. More advanced with questionable durability: turbo.

Suspension is another area, but can get revalved for not too much money. I still have all stock suspension, but I am 99% street commuter use.

The thing with a 250 is that even if you spend a lot on engine mods (which really only option is big bore kit) you are still riding a 250/290 or whatever you get up to. Not sure what the most HP anyone has gotten, but probably in the 35 to 40 range. With just the pipe/airbox mods, you can be up around 30. Which is a lot of fun on this bike.

The usual farkles like hand guards, different bars, aftermarket turn signals, etc. are typical, but not necessary.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: Central Jersey Commuter   Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm

dmmcd wrote:
With this bike, you can get where you want to be with very little investment.
If you are slabbing most of the time, might want to consider more street oriented tires, or have another set to switch.

Gearing. Gearing. Gearing. This is going to be your #1 mod. Sprockets are fairly cheap. Search around and see what others are running.

The thing with a 250 is that even if you spend a lot on engine mods (which really only option is big bore kit) you are still riding a 250/290 or whatever you get up to.

The usual farkles like hand guards, different bars, aftermarket turn signals, etc. are typical, but not necessary.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm going to post a few question in the tire section first.
I would prefer to lose those stock Bridgestone TW-301 & TW-302 knobbys and fit some Dual-Sport rubber on those skinny rims, if that's even possible. (?)

I was sitting on an "X" bike at the IMS in Manhattan about 2 shows back. Super-Moto is pretty unique. Not street, not dirt, not really Dual-Sport.
Good looking machine though.  thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Central Jersey Commuter   

Back to top Go down

Central Jersey Commuter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1