Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

WRR bike needs "street" rubber

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Electrojake

PostSubject: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

What is the most street-able tires I can fit to my stock WRR 1.60/21 front and 2.15/18 rear rims?
Figure 80% super-slab duty.

Disclaimer:
1.) Yes, I used the search function (and got tons of great 50/50 "dirt" tire info).
2.) I thought I could squeeze top-brand Dual-Sport rubber on these narrow 1.60 & 2.15 rims but after reading the manufacturers rim-width suggestions I feel like a dog locked out in the rain.
3.) I found some nice budget tires (Kenda, Shinkos, etc...) that looked possible size wise but they also came with their share of poor reviews, (even a couple of death threats from the heavy-bike guys).

Any comments, advice, or general harassment on this would be greatly appreciated.  thumb 
Thanks!
-Ej-

Last edited by Electrojake on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Less is better!)
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 pm

I run Shinko 705's on my WRR and my DL650.

No issues.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

rsteiger wrote:
I run Shinko 705's on my WRR and my DL650.
No issues.

Assuming your running the 705's on a WR205R with stock rims. . .
Could you please list the specific tire sizes you chose?
http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/705-series

Thanks times ten for the info! :-)
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 am

For the WRR

Rear: 120/80 -18

Front: 90/90 - 21
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 am

I will be putting these on my bike this summer. How many miles do you have on yours now?
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 pm

rsteiger wrote:
For the WRR

Rear:  120/80 -18

Front: 90/90 - 21

Thank you rsteiger,
My concern was that trying to stuff a 90/90 on the narrow stock 1.60 front rim was going to cause a problem.
Obviously you did fine with this setup.
Your post helped me a lot more than you probably realize!
Thanks again,
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm

I am guessing about 1000 miles on the WRR and about 2000 on the WeeStrom.

The thing is that I have two sets of wheels for my WRR. When I am riding it around town and during the week (80% of the time I use the bike) I have the Warp 9 wheels with the Shinko's on it. If I am going for a multiday camping trip with a pretty good chance of mud and sand with the WRR the I put the stock wheels back on which have Kenda Trackmaster 2's on them.

Also, I am running a 14 tooth front sprocket with a 48 tooth rear sprocket on the Shinko wheels and a 50 tooth rear sprocket on the Kenda wheels.

About the only thing I would watch on the Shinko's is to make sure you get a couple of hundred miles on them to make sure the mold release agent is off them before trying push them to the limits.

You should have no issue with a 90/90 wheel on the WRR front rim.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm

rsteiger wrote:

The thing is that I have two sets of wheels for my WRR.  

Rims. Good point!
Separate rim sets is exactly what would solve my problem here.
Seems available rim sizes for the front are...
21 x 1.60
21 x 1.85
21 x 2.15
Meaning that absolutely any tire/rim combination (front or rear) would be possible.
I have also just learned that setting up two full wheel sets would be blindingly expensive! $$$
By the time you add tires, rims, spokes, rotors, hubs, etc... the cost gets into the thousands! Wow.

My noob adventures into the Kingdome of WRR is getting mighty darn interesting.
Thanks again for your input!
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm running Pirelli Scopion MT90s, totally useless on anything that does not resemble a sealed road, but grippy on the road.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:55 pm

mekros wrote:
I'm running Pirelli Scopion MT90s, totally useless on anything that does not resemble a sealed road, but grippy on the road.

Thanks for the info mekros.
You running those tires on the stock sized rims?
Thanks,
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Stock rims, I think slightly wider tyres. I'll check when I get to the bike tonight, it's laid up with starting issues.

There are also the MT60s, slightly chunkier rubber and a bit more dirt focus, but looks just as terrible on the dirt. I thought I may as well get something that suits my riding (sealed road commuting).
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 am

1.6x21 is standard front wheel size for any dirt bike. 80/100-21, 90/90-21, 90/100-21 are all suitable sizes.

2.15x18/19 is standard dirt rear wheel. It has to be a big, heavy bike or a powerful bike to run an bigger rim/tyre setup ('14 YZ450F runs 2.5 to get better contact patch for its 60hp). on the wrr i would run a 110/100-18 or 120/90-18, or 120/80-18, depending on the tyre (variences in measurements make some bigger for same stated size) and use... your super slab work would suit a 120/90-18... slightly bigger rolling diameter makes better tyre wear.... tight tech single trails need the 110/100 or even a 100/100-18 to allow the using the rear wheel to turn and to create "flickability". same can be said for the front wheel sizing. keep in mind the lower aspect ratios may turn faster, but are more prone to pinch flats.

As for tyres... Pirelli MT90/MT60, Bridgestone Trail Wing, Shinko 705, Mitas E07, Avon Distanzia are all tyres that could suit your purpose if your 80% slab/20% dirt is a gravel driveway. if its 8days on slab and 2 days single trail... get a second set of wheels.
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 pm

I would say anything more aggressive than an unsealed road at slow speed would need proper tyres rather than the mt90s that I have fitted. They really feel like a road tyre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR bike needs "street" rubber   

Back to top Go down

WRR bike needs "street" rubber
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1