Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Fuel Issues?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lancek

PostSubject: Fuel Issues?   Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:47 pm

My bike has just done 700klm's since new, I have noticed yesterday and today - that when I start the bike it stops shortly after and when restarting takes a couple of tries, would this be a sign of a blocked fuel filter?

I ride in dusty and often muddy environments in the NW of Western Australia. Typically when I go riding I start the bike and let it idle for 3 or so minutes while I put my helmet etc on to let it get a little warmth in it - this is where I am now having the issue.

Thanks in advance

Lance
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Could be pump or filter....or many other things...

Good job on letting the bike warm up...seems like no one does that anymore, I let mine warm up for 5 min +. "Stops shortly after," I assume it stalls then? I don't think dust and mud would effect the internal filter, but take a look at it anyway. To get it started after a stall it often helps to turn the key on off again to prime it.

This just all of a sudden happened? What kind of mods do you have? Did you maybe pump some bad gas? Interesting issue, more details please!
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am

I went looking through the manual - and couldnt find any reference to the Fuel filter - there has to be one??? Is there one?

Stall is probably a bad word - it runs then stops - in idle on the stand...

I notice the past couple of days its not been behaving like it has in the past... I have been filling it up for the past month from a plastic jerry can - brand new - and fuel has been from the one trip to the station.

The bike itself doesnt seem to be complaining once its up and rolling - it just makes me a little nervous as Im miles away from anywhere at times

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:18 am

sounds like the same issues others have been having with faulty fuel pumps.. Someone was posting a build date for the bad pumps.. see if yours is in that date range. IIRC, it was something with the pump motor overheating & resetting. If it's not covered here, i'm sure it is over on TT.. (sorry for recommending the competition!)

scotty
Back to top Go down
mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:59 am

lancek wrote:
I went looking through the manual - and couldnt find any reference to the Fuel filter - there has to be one??? Is there one?

It's in the fuel tank connected to the fuel pump assembly. It is not a serviceable part and not available as a seperate part. The only way to get a fuel filter is to buy the complete fuel pump assembly. One of the big complaints I have about this bike.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:06 pm

The in-tank filter is supposed to be a "lifetime" filter. I'd personally prefer an external filter too. Basically consists of a very fine mesh nylon screen. The automotive industry had adopted this same system about 3 years ago since they all started going to non-recirculating EFI fuel systems. The fuel isn't constantly being run through the pump via the return line that they used to use. Now there is only a feed line to the injectors & the fuel filter only filters the gas once & not constantly which stirs up any particles in the tank & clogs the filter up sooner. The pump also lives longer cause it doesn't run as much.
mwakey wrote:
lancek wrote:

It's in the fuel tank connected to the fuel pump assembly. It is not a serviceable part and not available as a seperate part. The only way to get a fuel filter is to buy the complete fuel pump assembly. One of the big complaints I have about this bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues?   

Back to top Go down

Fuel Issues?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1