Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

2008 WRR won't start

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mekros

PostSubject: 2008 WRR won't start   Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi all,

This is an interesting one, I've got an Aus model 2008 WRR with about 13 000km on it. Earlier this week when I went to start it, it backfired and then refused to started after that. In that time I have tried in the following order:

- charging the battery, no luck.
- Draining the tank, fuel filter looked ok, tank was clean, fresh fuel, no luck.
- New spark plug correctly gapped, no luck
- New battery, backfired first time I tried to get it to start...no luck.

During the whole process, every time I have been trying and the exhaust gases do smell of unburnt fuel, so fuel delivery doesn't seem to be a problem.

I initially suspected it to be bad fuel but I've eliminated that (I hope!). Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do to get the bike started?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
beee

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Is the bike stock? any engine mods? Can you pull codes on an aus model? Maybe google around for a manual to find out? How long was it sitting for? Was it in storage?

You need 3 things, fuel, air, spark. If you smell fuel, odds are that is good. If it is backfiring odds are you have spark. How about your air filter?
Back to top Go down
GT-250

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 pm

X2 on checking the air filter & intake system.... Also maybe check for a exhaust restriction, as in vermin nests etc. I often have green tree frogs living in my exhaust on a weekly basis - so if yours has been sitting for a extended period, then who knows what might want to make a home in the intake or exhaust.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Thu May 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Haven't checked air filter but it is a road commuter and the air filter has 6000km on it. Will check when I get back home.

A look down the air intake with the seat off revealed no chokes, will have a proper look later.

Bike is a daily commuter, was not run over the weekend and then didn't fire up on Monday morning.
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm

tried to start it with thee air filter removed, no luck.

Tried with the kick starter up, no luck.

Drop it off to the mechanic. He calls the next working day "What's the problem with you bike, it starts, I've taken it for a run up the street, stopped and started it many times."  baldy 
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Mon May 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Let us know if you have the problem again. I'm interested to know what the problem is. I've had a similar issue, but code 19 shows on the dash. one day it acts up, the next couple weeks its fine.  scratch 
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: won't start   Mon May 05, 2014 6:04 pm

sounds like a "short" somewhere.
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   Mon May 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Fuel pump? Read somewhere that one of the problems with the early fuel pumps was a chech valve that was sticking and not allowing pressure to build.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WRR won't start   

Back to top Go down

2008 WRR won't start
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1