Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fuel pump problem

Go down 
+104
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
asphaltaddict33
keenWR
FJROB
timzim
X-Racer
BCRider
DSO
Bookaroo
chriswh86
johnkol
k1322
Epee
TioJose
WolfpackFBNS
Lord Hornka
kvon
averian
GT-250
vagabondmatt
Monkeynuts
bfgjohno
5S Dude
grw800
jicanew
Rule292
hamish54
Adam.
Jonnythong
Decapsuleux
galland1
Coop
Delta_T
MO-tarder
papi4baby
Silverfz1
airbornediver
jimbop
cambojimmy
sswrx
Heoz
04asphalt
ramz
ballisticexchris
duanew
daggone928
Novy
TwilightZone
tomar19
A66auto
tblumer
Berwyn Henderson
rokka
mr-cave
00PowderSpecial
ratthing
mattnadz
YZEtc
Jäger
wr250x08
Will B
mordicai
Akasy
motokid
jason meacham
DesertRatliff
mwgak
Mach828
edteamslr
oh2RideMore
cryptomundo
mrdoo2
bhmax
Yaozer
skrew
renokjm@gmail.com
Mr.Metal
mhm2a
Jomamaha
denniswrr
nonlinear
SuperSize
malibu_dan
Hertz
BlueAngel
f3joel
ozarkadver
Chadx
Noppy
BluePill
SheWolf
KNjonjo
Chrispy1200
OOk
rydnseek
0007onWR
mwakey
bash3r
inspector
mtb
greer
dirtytrixx400
108 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Hertz

Hertz

fuel pump problem - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Hey all, I haven't been around for a while since the bike has just been sitting in storage due to the pump being bad. I just took a gamble and bought a used tank w/ pump off a wrecked 08 X. Seller stated the pump works well but the bike only had 1500 miles on it. I called the seller inquiring about the build date and he said they already sold the frame. But, I got it for a good price and will have an extra tank. We'll see what happens. I'm ready to ride again. It's been too long!!!!
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 am

That's a tough spot you've been in and a load of crap you got from that dealership. Glad you were able to find a used pump, Spring's on the way!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Mach828

Mach828

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 am

After 5,000 miles on my 08, I think my fuel pump might be going out as well. Same symptoms as described in this thread.

Runs like a champ when its cruising and accelerating, but at idle it dies sometimes. No issues starting it yet.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 am

Just wanted to bring this to the attention of others. What do you think?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970360
Back to top Go down
mwgak

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:31 pm

02/08 #498 2400 miles. Riding Memorial Day with the kids...slow, mud, beautiful warm day...mom ended up finishing the ride on the '95 Honda while dad pushed and occasionally rode his '08 Yamaha back to the trailer. Called Yamaha...no support...of course... Had an idea it was going out last week with a little stumble when I was trail riding.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 am

Dang. A few sources and prices listed if you want to click back to page 5. Best of luck.

Sarah.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 am

Another '08 WR/X with a possible issue:

Build 12/07 #0295, dealer leftover purchased new from Wild West Powersports on 3/19/11 with 46 miles. Now has 1370 miles with AIS and flapper removed, Graves exhaust and FMF Programmer.

Despite mild temps here, my problem surfaces on my 25 mile commute. Engine dies at speed, almost as though I'm running out of fuel (despite a full tank of gas last night), and then comes back to life. Last night it took about 400 feet and a downshift to 5th at 70 mph to get it to come back on. Bike felt low on power before and after that, too. It has done this 3 times now, with last night being the longest/worst one.

Beyond the pump, my issue is that I didn't purchase the bike here in Durango, but in Greeley, CO, 400 miles from home. I've got nothing but good things to say of my local dealer, but know how busy they are this time of year and don't want my bike sitting around for a month when the problem can be fixed by me in an hour. Furthermore, I make it a point to do all the work to my vehicles myself.

So...Should I contact the Greeley dealer? Contact the local dealer? Or just pony up the $225, not hassle with the phone calls, do the work myself and feel satisfied that some schlub wasn't redlining my bike across town on a "test" ride?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:31 am

Honestly, considering the headaches most folks have had dealing with Yamaha, I'd just shell out the money.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:44 am

Its easy to replace if you want to do it yourself.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?101584-DIY-fuel-pump-replacement-wr250x
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for the push to do it myself (good write up, too, f3joel). Will likely go this route as shelling out for the pump and working a few more hours at a job I like sounds a lot less painful than the potential headache with the dealer and Yamaha USA.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I got pretty excited here and should have asked this:

Could there be any other problem or issue besides the fuel pump to diagnose?

Air filter was serviced last week (along with oil and filter), so I know it's not an airflow issue. Fuel is fresh from a gas station I trust and bike has been ridden 4-5 days a week since I purchased it in March. With the aftermarket pipe and free-flowing airbox, I'm hesitant to remove the FMF Programmer, but are these known to fail in circumstances described above? Bike has barely touched dirt, has never been ridden in rain or mud, so it's unlikely the programmer was damaged by me, especially considering where it was mounted-up high over the flapper solenoid hole.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 am

I've tried to follow the fuel pump issues fairly closely, since my bike has a build date of 04/08. Not that I actually know beans, but it sure does sound like the pump....

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 am

my fuelpump only acted up once last summer when I was 150 miles from home, I thought I was screwed but it seemed to straitend itself out..my question is,,,,,,are there a specific build date or vin # that I should be looking for ??? my build date is 5/08 and the last four # of my vin is 2419....right now I'm debating wether or not I should just replace it myself. after talking to my local dealership I don't think they would be much help....
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 am

my fuelpump only acted up once last summer when I was 150 miles from home, I thought I was screwed but it seemed to straitend itself out..my question is,,,,,,are there a specific build date or vin # that I should be looking for ??? my build date is 5/08 and the last four # of my vin is 2419....right now I'm debating wether or not I should just replace it myself. after talking to my local dealership I don't think they would be much help....
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:30 am

Pretty much all of the fuel pumps that fried were the very first 08's out there. The fuel pump is easy to replace on your own, and hella cheaper too. It's bad enuf you'll get soaked $400 for the pump. Why give them more or your blood. lurk

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 12:04 pm

well , for my own peace of mind I just ordered a new fuel pump..what made me finally make up my mind was when I read on here that after some guys replaced their pumps that their bikes felt like it had a little more power..plus I'm pretty confident I can replace it myself.....I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere like I was last augest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If I were to be standed again I would wish I had fixed the problem.........once I get the old one out ,I'm going to take it to the dealership and see if they will refund some of my money.....wish me luck....jason
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

jason meacham wrote:
........once I get the old one out ,I'm going to take it to the dealership and see if they will refund some of my money.....wish me luck....jason

SUPER good luck wished on that.

I think they'll look at you like you just farted pixxy dust, but maybe you'll inspire us to attempt the same thing.

Please let us know what they say.

I'd also love to know if you think the bike responds better with the new pump.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Motokid,, the reason I made the statement about bringing in the old fuelpump to the dealership to see if they will pay for it is because when I talked to the service manager at the dealership last augest he said they would remove the pump and send it to yamaha and they would test it,,if it's bad than it should be covered under my warranty if it's not a bad pump then I have to pay for the labor to pull the pump and then reinstall...then when I said I have an fmf exhaust and programmer and modified air box than he seemed even less willing to help..when I first talked to the service manager he said he had no idea about any problems with the fuelpumps on this bike and when I mentioned the recall in japan he just blew it off and when I mentioned this forum he said to not listen to forums because people aren't always truthfull on forums..It was around this point when I walked out very frustrated..maybe I would have felt a little better if the guy attempted to look up the recall or make a phone call or something besides acting like he had NOOO idea what I was talking about...You are probably right about them looking at me like I'm crazy if I bring in the old pump to have it sent back to yamaha to have it tested..... I will post what happens when I get my new pump installed.....Jason
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:06 am

[quote="motokid"

I think they'll look at you like you just farted pixxy dust[/quote]

poser2 Very happy poser2

If it were me I would just hold on to it in case you or someone here breaks another nipple off a good pump when pulling a tank. There are several posts were folks have repaired a broken nipple and were looking to buy a pump to cann the nipple. Also someone may be willing to pay for a good but suspect pump to have as a spare if the price were right. My guess is that you will get more for it selling it here or over on Adv than you will ever get out of Yamaha--but hey that is just in MHO. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:22 am

thanks for the advice guys,,,it's just sooooo frustrating to see the japan recall and other guys gettting their bikes fixed under warranty...I wish I never bought the extended warranty...maybe I should just avoid going to the dealership because if they say anything sarcastic then things will get ugly very quickly....never mind the 2 hours and 10-15 dollars in gas that would be wasted.when I bought the bike . I drove twice as far to this dealership than the one closer to home because I thought they would be better but I'm stsrting to think that they are all the same.....I guess I should have known when I picked the bike up brand new and the dealer had the tank shroud stickers removed and the stickers they had on there was a big advertisement for one of their other dealerships.....it said in big letters NEWENGLAND CYCLE across the tank.....I looked at the sales manager and said" that's not my bike is it?'',,,and right away he was saying "oh man , I knew you were'nt going to be happy about this" and right there I started peeling off the ugly stickers....the guy was like "what are you doing?'' and I said " I'm not advertising for anyone's dealership" after a few choice words,,the salesmanager ordered new stickers and sent them to my house...I actually like the look of the trank shroud with nothing on there so I've left it that way ever since..........oh well,,enough of my complaining.....I'll post what happens.....Jason..
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 am

The way I feel about dealerships is that they are all just pricks. I'm sure there are some rightous dealers out there, but I've never run across them. My dealer tried to fuck me upside down and backwards when I bought my new 2010 x. The written contract differed from the verbal agreement and I told them to go fuck themselves and walked out. Got a call from them saying how it was all a big mistake, bad communications and all that bull shit, so I went back and bought the bike. Every accessory in the place costs 1/3 more then anyplace else, so I never go in the joint. I think they really have their head up their ass as far as their approch to business. Well, I feel better now......had my morning rant and got it out of my system.
Back to top Go down
Will B

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi new here, I have an 08 WRX with a build date of 03/08. I haven't had any problems starting yet and the power seems to be fine, although there is a slight hesitation when the bike is cold and I give it alot of throttle. The only sign appears to be that the pump dosent prime every time the key is turned on but the bike starts every time no problem
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Will B

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm

OK now I feel dumb, apparently the fuel pump does not prime if the engine kill switch is in the off position and you turn the key on. I tried it many times after I found this out and it primed every time, crisis averted hahaha.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 am

No sweat, we're all learning as we go. Welcome to the forum.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:11 pm

I ordered my fuel pump on fri june 24 and I'm still waiting,,,,,,,,,hopefully it;s here tomorrow,,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel pump problem
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next