Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fuel pump problem

Go down 
+104
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
asphaltaddict33
keenWR
FJROB
timzim
X-Racer
BCRider
DSO
Bookaroo
chriswh86
johnkol
k1322
Epee
TioJose
WolfpackFBNS
Lord Hornka
kvon
averian
GT-250
vagabondmatt
Monkeynuts
bfgjohno
5S Dude
grw800
jicanew
Rule292
hamish54
Adam.
Jonnythong
Decapsuleux
galland1
Coop
Delta_T
MO-tarder
papi4baby
Silverfz1
airbornediver
jimbop
cambojimmy
sswrx
Heoz
04asphalt
ramz
ballisticexchris
duanew
daggone928
Novy
TwilightZone
tomar19
A66auto
tblumer
Berwyn Henderson
rokka
mr-cave
00PowderSpecial
ratthing
mattnadz
YZEtc
Jäger
wr250x08
Will B
mordicai
Akasy
motokid
jason meacham
DesertRatliff
mwgak
Mach828
edteamslr
oh2RideMore
cryptomundo
mrdoo2
bhmax
Yaozer
skrew
renokjm@gmail.com
Mr.Metal
mhm2a
Jomamaha
denniswrr
nonlinear
SuperSize
malibu_dan
Hertz
BlueAngel
f3joel
ozarkadver
Chadx
Noppy
BluePill
SheWolf
KNjonjo
Chrispy1200
OOk
rydnseek
0007onWR
mwakey
bash3r
inspector
mtb
greer
dirtytrixx400
108 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
MO-tarder

MO-tarder

fuel pump problem - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 pm

didn't work! took the bike for a ride after i let it warm up and it sucked, runs ruff off throttle and won't pull enough to get to speed, the fuel pump just runs on while the bike is running and i don't think it did that before?

Must of taken too much off or shouldn't of taken any at all and the problem is in the armature and brush area? like you said yesterday.

Oh well, it will just sting a little less when i dig in my pocket to buy a good pump. worth the effort, but a fail none the less.

:TTSB:
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Since the pump runs on and doesn't build any pressure, I think you may have taken too much off. GAHHHH

Bummer...
Back to top Go down
nonlinear

PostSubject: anyone lose 2 fuel pumps?   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 pm

great write-up and pictures MO, I just ran across it tonight, sorry it didnt work, I think I would have sanded down the impeller the same amount. since it seems like there is a significant loss in volume, is there a possibility the impeller is on the axle in the wrong direction, where the "C" shaped fins are pointing in the wrong direction? seems like it could go on the axle either way.

I am having a repeat of my summer 2010 fuel pump failure, I had it fail at that time on my 2/08 at 1800 miles. it was replaced under warranty and all seemed fine until yesterday. the complete failure was proceeded by hot-weather-only failures. yesterday it wouldnt start after a lunchbreak sitting in the sun. cooling down the tank, radiator, and engine with cool water cured it quickly. initially the pump wouldnt prime but the starter would turn. after the cool water, the pumpp primed and it started right up. (it did a similar stunt last september on a hot day also) . I expect the hot weather failures will increase in frequency until it completely fails. it now has 8400 miles ( about 6600 miles on the new pump). anyone found a more reliable aftermarket pump?
thanks
nl
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for the fascinating write up. thumb

My '08 pump hasn't failed me yet although it could be that the pump has been replaced before I bought the bike.

This is what I don't really understand: Isn't it possible to replace broken -in tank- pump with an external one. There are a lot of cheap but good pumps out there and as long as it is within spec, there shouldn't be a problem? And by deleting the original pump and blocking off the hole and creating a feed from there you even create more volume in the tank.
I am sure I am wrong because someone would have done it but I am still wondering. Most cars, and a lot of outboards, ATV's etc.. are Fi nowadays, so there must be a pump out there that would work? dunno
Back to top Go down
MO-tarder

MO-tarder

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:13 am

Chrispy1200 wrote:
Bummer...
Times 10!
thanks for following this and commenting. Now that its a fail and i look back i wish i would of only taken enough off, like .001", to remove the wear marks i seen, and called it good. but i got carried away, i am not an engineer and if i was like minded i might of been able to make a better decision. amateur attempt at best.

nonlinear wrote:
is there a possibility the impeller is on the axle in the wrong direction, where the "C" shaped fins are pointing in the wrong direction? seems like it could go on the axle either way
yes, it can go on either way. But i checked and double checked it was in the correct way. the outer surface has 4 holes in it and the underside has 5 holes and the 5th doesn't go all the way threw. The impeller cover ? which i was calling the outer pump housing must also go in one way so the fuel ports match the inner pump housing. I had this outer piece marked and the motor case marked so i could put it back exactly the way it came off.

nonlinear wrote:
I am having a repeat of my summer 2010 fuel pump failure, I had it fail at that time on my 2/08 at 1800 miles. it was replaced under warranty and all seemed fine until yesterday

Thats exactlly why i tore this thing apart. There is no guarantee that a new pump wont do the same thing. As for a better pump, not for a direct replacement (motor only not complete assembly) the same mfr that made the bad ones is also still making the only (?) one that fits into the fuel assembly. At least i haven't found any other than the one coming from china. IF you have the ability you could gut the old assembly install a different pump from different mfr. and some type of pressure regulator and plumb it to the fuel tank hose, which i have thought about, and i have seen similar attemps when researching a replacement for this pump. I did give a link couple days ago of a company in california that ordered just the motor from china and it is a plug and play, remove old install new motor reassemble fuel assembly type of fix for $130 + shipping. good luck with your fix, IMO if you keep your tank full of gas on a hot day it might help it to not act up, but that's a lame way to roll.

Delta_T wrote:
This is what I don't really understand: Isn't it possible to replace broken -in tank- pump with an external one.

YES, and if i can find the link i will post, but some guys that have the fuel injected Husqvarna 4 strokes 250, 310, 450, 510, 610 from 2008-2010 have this same pump and some of them did exactly what you stated. IMO it's better route than putting back in a "new" same POS motor that can from the same mfr as the "old" one. they swaped out this motor and installed one out of a ducatti (?) and had sucess. The company http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus seen what was happening and ordered up some pumps from china slapped there company logo on it and marked it up to the sky. here is a link to buy direct from china http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/358173173/Fuel_Pump_for_YAMAHA_motorcycle_1100.html check out the price of the pump motor that is in our bikes $15 bucks. but you have to order 10 min. . which is just a touch more than the $130 ca-cycleworks is selling it for. good move on their part, but no thanks. hey did you get your new graphics yet?
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:47 am

MO-tarder wrote:
.. hey did you get your new graphics yet?

No, not yet, I think they shipped them on Monday but I have no way of tracking it. I might take another week before it gets here. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 pm

mattnadz wrote:
build date 2/08
vin 000061

My pump shit the bed twice on me this week. Once with the girlfriend on the back lol, we had to walk it home for a good 20mins. Ordering one from Service Honda today. I`m from Ontario so i`m sure i wont be seeing it for 2-3 weeks Canuckistani

Has anyone from Canada had this problem. I`m gonna give Yamaha Canada a call tomorrow.

Same here. I'm from Canada. I have a WR250X 2010 (bought in 2011). My dealer wasn't aware of this problem. I have now a little more than 12 000 km. If the new fuel pump is exactly the same as the original one. I'll change bike. Since 2008, i'm no lucky. In 2008 i bought a KLR 650 brand new. And i discover a few months later that the damned bike had oil consumption problem. When i bought the WR, i knew that some of the 2008 had fuem pump issues. Now, i see that the problem not only concern the year model 2008.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 am

Matric wrote:

Same here. I'm from Canada. I have a WR250X 2010 (bought in 2011).

You have a 2010 build date with a bad fuel pump?

Matric wrote:

My dealer wasn't aware of this problem.

I think that kind of answer form a dealer is something they are forced to say by the manufacturer. PHUCKERS!!! dddog

Tell your dealer you'd be glad to show them lengthy threads from this forum, Thumpertalk, Supermotojunkie, and advrider (I think) regarding this exact issue from hundreds of riders, not to mention that a recall was available in Japan.

Although your biggest issue might be that your bike is a 2010 and that's extremely rare.

Some people have gotten a replacement through Yamaha warranty.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am

Well so guys know we are not alone on my local dual sport forum there are 4 guys with Husaberg's that are fuel injected. EVERY one of them has had there fuel pump replaced. Under warranty but still it's pain when you have to tow the bike home, wait while it gets order/replaced etc. So it's not just our WR's.

When I bought my bike I knew the pump was an issue and it's a risk I am willing to take for a decent bike. I don't think you will find one bike that doesn't have a problem related to that model. It just sucks that's it's a $200 repair and you have to wait a few weeks for the part. I am tempted to buy one just as a backup like skierd did. I don't think he ever had to use his yet but it's nice knowing it's there if you need it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:25 am

motokid wrote:
Matric wrote:

I guess that the bike was built in late 2009. I can't check that because my bike is at the dealer for the installating of a new rear Distanzia tire. The bike sits there, waiting for the new fuel pump. I wrote to Yamaha Canada because i wanted to know if the new fuel pump will be the same as the one on my bike. Here's the answer i got:

Good morning! The replacement pump will be nearly identical with a slightly different impeller tolerance and you will not have a repeat issue. Very few of the pumps were affected in Canada but we often tweak designs and materials when we can to make improvements.

Regards,

Scott

YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA LTD.
480 Gordon Baker Road, Toronto, Ontario, M2H3B4
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

Mine is finally getting bad enough to fix. Bike is a wr250x 2008 mfr. date of 04/08. Purchased new April 2010. Falls in the Japan recall range. It has the classic fail when hot. Has been a little flaky when hot since day one. Now at 4300mi. Restarts fine when cool. Going to sic my wife on Yamaha to try to get it fixed under warranty. She is a pro at making people see things her way and has left many a salesman crying in their cheerios.
Back to top Go down
Decapsuleux

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi guys im new on the forum...

I have a Canadian 2009 wr250x (bougth new in 2010) Date of 09/08

bike have 12000 km and never had any issue at all, but today....
seem I got my first problem whit the bike...the fuel pump baldy

I notice a major change in the rush sound comming from the pump couple
of week ago... This afternoon I came to start my bike and I did not hear the usual rush sound
from the fuel pump at all...

il give it another try later when its cool down outside.But I think I need to order a new fuel pump... dddog

I checked all the connector hidden behind the rad too, just in case, and they seem ok

great forum btw thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:49 pm

motokid wrote:
Matric wrote:

The build date is 08-2009. It took exactly 2 weeks to receive and install the fuel pump. My bike was ready tonight. I didn't do a top speed test. Just for the fun of it. You know kinda scientific test wings It rained and i have a brand new rear Distanzia.
Back to top Go down
Jonnythong

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Special Thanks to MO-Tarder on Page 13! His tear down gave me confidence to try the same and it ended in success. My toy funds are short right now so I tore the pump apart for a temporary fix.

First thing I would like to reiterate is that the outer plastic halves (holding the motor) are not easy to take apart, the tabs that hold it together are set in a way that makes it seem permanent. I took the easy route and cut angles in the square backs of the lock tabs (term?), so with a bit of pulling force the upper half would slide off without needing to bend the plastic upwards, risking breakage. Tabs Represented in Red. There are 3 total.

The fuel hose connecting the lower and upper nipples was fairly brittle, if your planning on this tear down expect to go buy a replacement. Represented in Blue.

fuel pump problem - Page 11 Fuel_p10

Stole the picture from http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm thumb I'm sure most of you have stumbled on his build, if not, it's definitely worth taking a peek.

Now, after prying open the housing, I found the easiest way to take the innards out was to tap the bottom (filter end) of the motor on a table, popping out the outer pump housing. I would suggest doing the same for removing the impeller as I found the plastic fins to be very fragile...

As for wear shown on the impeller, I believe my pump failure must have been caused by contamination. The faces showed no signs of wear. The outside had a gash running across about half the circumference. This mark was even very hard to feel with a fingernail but was still enough to cause some rubbing when I spun the motor by hand.

fuel pump problem - Page 11 Img_0014

As for sanding the impeller, I ended up using 320 grit though I recommend a finer, maybe 600 grit paper. I sanded the face a bit even though I doubt it was causing any problems in my case. I was careful with the outside, sanding just enough to show new plastic. To be more specific, wrapping the paper around my thumb caused the edges to wear first, though I continued this until most of the outer edges showed new plastic but still had a small strip the middle mostly untouched. Hopefully that made sense.

I can't guarantee, but this might be the trick to ensure the impeller still creates a seal on the outside as the middle would still have the original tolerance but in overall will reduce friction while spinning.

As for testing, I took the bike on a 20 minute ride and made sure to get it nice and hot bannana and the pump still primed like a champ upon multiple restarts. Ill be sure to update tomorrow or monday when I get a chance to take it out for a few hours!

Total time took me ~4 hours, though I always fiddle around with unimportant stuff and get sidetracked woohoo

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 am

Nice job ! thumb I'd be interested to know how your fuel pressure has been affected, if at all.
Back to top Go down
Jonnythong

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Well I've ridden about 200 miles since then, everything is still well wings It feels a bit less punchy but it might just be me, I haven't owned it very long.
Back to top Go down
Adam.

Adam.

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Ok, I have a 2008 bike with pump issues, what is the recall range and how do I find the build date on mine? Also where is this recall info available to print off as I will need to convince the dealer of the problem as now it's cooled down its starting ok. I have about 1 months dealer warranty left on the bike!
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm

My understanding is that the recall was only in Japan. Build date of the bike is on the throttle side of the bike on the frame in front of the gas tank - top center of the large sticker. It will show something like 2/08.

Tons of info in this thread - including a link to the recall as translated by google: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/recall/mc/campaign/2009-05/fuel-pump/index.html

Back to top Go down
Adam.

Adam.

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

Heoz wrote:
My understanding is that the recall was only in Japan. Build date of the bike is on the throttle side of the bike on the frame in front of the gas tank - top center of the large sticker. It will show something like 2/08.

Tons of info in this thread - including a link to the recall as translated by google: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/recall/mc/campaign/2009-05/fuel-pump/index.html

Thanks for that, at least I will have something to show the dealer to try and convince them it's the pump.

Back to top Go down
ratthing

ratthing

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I see there's been some new info posted. Good stuff about the motors.

I've had my second fuel pump failure, 13 months since the last replacement. I'm going to purchase some of the motors and try doing the swap in the broken one I removed to keep for a spare.

Update: I ordered 10 pcs of the motor from the manufacturer in China. The motors look identical to the one in the stock pump, save for a different printing of the part number on the motor, and a small change in the casting of the bottom that seats into the motor. The casting on my original (broken) motor has the number "1", the ones from the manufacturer have the number "3".

Tearing apart the housing was an epic PITA. I'm guessing the body will only handle 3-4 disassembles before it cracks. I have the bike torn down at the moment to wrap the FMF pipe and repack the muffler. I'll get the pump back together and installed after I put the exhaust back on.

Edit: Replacing the pump motor did not resolve the problem--I may have messed up the installation, not sure. I had no way of measuring fuel PSI at the output side of the pump. I have pictures of the failed pump I should post, and a bunch of the replacement pump motors I can let go cheaply if anyone else wants to give the rebuild a try, or to tear apart a 3rd party pump for comparison. I no longer have the WRR--I replaced it with a CRF250L. Guy who bought the WRR lives across the street from a dude who's supported by Yamaha Racing, so I'm sure he got everything sorted in short order with the WRR.

=RT=

Last edited by ratthing on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit: added update of status)
Back to top Go down
hamish54

PostSubject: New pump part number???   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 pm

I see in Yamahasportsplaza.com that the fuel pump part number has changed to 3D7-13907-10-00 from the original number of 3D7-13907-00-00.  Have they finally redesigned/fixed the pump???  Has anyone had any experience with the new pump?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Another 2011 with the fuel pump issue   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 pm

I just purchased a 2011 WR250R with a build date of 9/10. The bike is exhibiting the symptoms of the fuel pump problem. Until I found this forum and thread, everything I read indicated that it was only the earlier models that should have this problem so, between Matric and I there are two confirmed later model year bikes with fuel pump issues. It seems the newer bikes are not completely immune.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 pm

So far so good. It's been almost one year with my new fuel pump. I rode as often as before in hot temperature ans on the reserve. The new fuel pump doesn't show any sign of overheating. Here's the answer of Yamaha Canada that i received when i asked if the new pump is the same as the original one.

Good morning! The replacement pump will be nearly identical with a slightly different impeller tolerance and you will not have a repeat issue. Very few of the pumps were affected in Canada but we often tweak designs and materials when we can to make improvements.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm

8633 wrote:
I just purchased a 2011 WR250R with a build date of 9/10. The bike is exhibiting the symptoms of the fuel pump problem. Until I found this forum and thread, everything I read indicated that it was only the earlier models that should have this problem so, between Matric and I there are two confirmed later model year bikes with fuel pump issues. It seems the newer bikes are not completely immune.

I have a 2010 R with a build date of 8/09. that I bought in 3/11.. Has about 3500 miles on it.

It's been having on and off problems, about 4 months ago it left me stranded an hour from home in the hinterlands. I tried sitting it out and it took 2 hours until it cooled sufficiently to run. Ordered the new pump (Thanks Yamaha, it was $294 for pump and an O-ring), finally got a chance to install tonight after we got back from dinner.

Garage was about 90 and as expected bike would not start. Did the R&R, which took a bit less than an hour. New pump primed with a bit more growl than old one. Ran it to fill up tank and bopped around the hood and it's seeming to be back to normal.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 pm

GAHHHH 
my replacement pump has started failing. my bike has less than 3500 miles on it....only because I have other bikes and atvs. this is my only street legal dual sport bike though.
guess i'll have to buy yet another fuel pump if I want to keep it and use it. budah 

same thing as everyone else....after it's good and hot and you stop ...no fuel pump. usually between 20 minutes to an hour cool off and then it will pump again.

also have noticed the "lazy performance" after it has gotten hot and thought the same of the pumps performance falling off.
sure wish we had a aftermarket pump to choose from.....one with an adjustable regulator would be nice,but it would need to be a much better pump than the o.e. pos.GAHHHH

I read this thread after I posted...
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8374-unanswered-fp-hus-replacement-fuel-pump-for-wr250r
so there is at least a source for the pump without the housing...but is this a better pump than the oem china part? made by same factory? they post some specs on their website....how does it compare to the stock Yamaha part for it's performance?
I hope someone can answer these questions.....if it is a better part that would be great. I've lost my confidence in this bike over this one part.dunno 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel pump problem
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next