Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fuel pump problem

Go down 
+104
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
asphaltaddict33
keenWR
FJROB
timzim
X-Racer
BCRider
DSO
Bookaroo
chriswh86
johnkol
k1322
Epee
TioJose
WolfpackFBNS
Lord Hornka
kvon
averian
GT-250
vagabondmatt
Monkeynuts
bfgjohno
5S Dude
grw800
jicanew
Rule292
hamish54
Adam.
Jonnythong
Decapsuleux
galland1
Coop
Delta_T
MO-tarder
papi4baby
Silverfz1
airbornediver
jimbop
cambojimmy
sswrx
Heoz
04asphalt
ramz
ballisticexchris
duanew
daggone928
Novy
TwilightZone
tomar19
A66auto
tblumer
Berwyn Henderson
rokka
mr-cave
00PowderSpecial
ratthing
mattnadz
YZEtc
Jäger
wr250x08
Will B
mordicai
Akasy
motokid
jason meacham
DesertRatliff
mwgak
Mach828
edteamslr
oh2RideMore
cryptomundo
mrdoo2
bhmax
Yaozer
skrew
renokjm@gmail.com
Mr.Metal
mhm2a
Jomamaha
denniswrr
nonlinear
SuperSize
malibu_dan
Hertz
BlueAngel
f3joel
ozarkadver
Chadx
Noppy
BluePill
SheWolf
KNjonjo
Chrispy1200
OOk
rydnseek
0007onWR
mwakey
bash3r
inspector
mtb
greer
dirtytrixx400
108 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
grw800

grw800

fuel pump problem - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 11:13 pm

I had posted a separate thread about a problem I was having wih my 2011 WRR. I wasn't sure that it was the fuel pump at first, because mine was showing different symptoms than what I had read about in other threads. But in the end it did turn out to be the fuel pump. So I wanted to post in this thread to add to the database. To summarize:
When the problem first appeared, the bike acted just like I had blipped the kill switch for a moment. It varied from about 1/2 second to 2 seconds. The engine would die, and then immediately come back on. This happened consistently for about a week, and only when the bike was completely warmed up, like at least 10 miles into a ride. It was more likely to happen when temps were in the 70s or higher. I did one all-day ride when it was in the 60s, and the problem never occured. After about a week, it got worse, and the bike would sometimes die completely, but would restart after just a few seconds. Once it started happening, I could only ride a hundred yards or so before it would die again. When the bike was cold in the morning, it would start and run just fine until it got warmed up.
I installed a new OEM pump, the updated version, Yamaha P/N 3D7-13907-10. So far I've ridden 150 miles or so with temps in the 80s, and the bike has run flawlessly.

Last edited by grw800 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
5S Dude

5S Dude

PostSubject: 09 WR250X locked pump   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 1:02 am

Just ordered the updated 3D7-13907-10-00 Fuel Pump Complete from yamahasportsplaza.com so we'll see if the updated unit really is the solution we're all hoping it is.

In my research, I also found a replacement fuel pump motor Part Number: HFP-389 which carries a LIFETIME Warranty!!

This one comes from Axiom-Performance, HighFlowFuel.

Here's the link;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Intank-Fuel-Pump-30mm-Yamaha-WR250R-WR250RB-WR250X-WR250F-2008-2011-/161028028513?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e04b861#ht_2315wt_959&clk_rvr_id=666854722492

High Flow Performance
152 Aero Camino Unit E
Goleta, CA

If the new updated OEM pump assembly craps out again, I may try the lifetime motor swap or simply trade it for a dependable Honda 250!!
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi folks,
Pump on my 2008 has given up the ghost. Do these new pumps just strap on the top of the old or do I need to take the thing apart? Te picture looks like it just plumbs in rather than taking the housing apart.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-for-Yamaha-WR250R-WR250RB-WR250X-WR250F-2008-2011-/261526884974?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3ce437926e
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Intank-Fuel-Pump-30mm-Yamaha-WR250R-WR250RB-WR250X-WR250F-2008-2011-/161028028513?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e04b861

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 1:36 pm

You'll have to strip the old pump housing apart to fit the pump.
Have fun !
Back to top Go down
vagabondmatt

PostSubject: Latest Opinion on Fuel Pump Problems?   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 12:31 am

Hi All,

I've zeroed in on getting a used WR250R dual sport, and everything I've read points to this being the perfect bike for my needs. But clearly there are fuel pump issues with this bike. At first I thought it was just the early 2008 models. But the more I read, the larger the span of time and models that seem to be having pump failures. I've spotted some 2008 models that I could purchase...but I am hesitant now that I have read so many fuel pump disaster stories. Should I just avoid the older models altogether? Is there a year where the fuel pump flaw or bad design was finally resolved? I've seen evidence of failure all the way thru '08 and into '09 and '10 so far, with mixed opinions on replacement/aftermarket pumps. I've lost count of how many WRR owners have talked about being left stranded when the pump fails temporarily or permanently. What says the community about this issue? Thanks much!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I got a 2008 WRR and I've ridden the heck out of it, including remote solo singletrack, with no problems so far! If it happened to fail at the wrong time, I may be walking a bit.

Just imagine how many WRR's have been sold vs. how many fuel pump failures have been reported, and you can gage your own risk tolerance.

Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Possible fuel pump fault is an "over stated non issue".......unless it happens to you of course, lol.

Anyway i'd say just go ahead with a purchace if you find a suitable bike, and if you are really worried about this possible problem then just buy a new F/P..... I think from memory that some guys on here have brought new genuine pumps from " Service Honda" ? USA for around $150 ?.

Just do it and enjoy the overall riding fun of this little 1/4 litre machine.
Always look back and regret something you HAVE done - rather than something you wish you did !

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
averian

PostSubject: ;   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 am

The fuel pump on my 2008 failed around 16k miles or so. I figured since it had lasted over 10k miles it would go forever. Nope!

Taking the fuel pump cage apart was a pain, but definitely doable if you take your time and shave down the tabs carefully with a razor blade. Now I even carry a spare fuel pump (not the whole assembly) with me on my 2013. I already shaved the tabs on it so I can do a trail side replacement. I've almost been stranded in the middle of a desert because of fueling issues so I see the value in being thorough.
Back to top Go down
kvon

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 am

So I am new to the world of WRR ownership and looking to prepare the bike for some long back adventures. Have there been any failures of the new part number 3D7-13907-10-00 fuel pump yet?

I did a quick search around the forums and I have not found the new part number called out specifically. I'm the optimistic sort and I'm hoping that it could be solved.
Back to top Go down
Lord Hornka

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 11:55 pm

The pump on my 02/2008 WR250R failed last summer, in a most embarrassing fashion. The first time it acted up, I was on my way in to work and stopped to get gas 20 miles into my commute. It didna start back up, so I had to manage to get the rest of the way to work using the local light rail, then more rail to get back home. On the weekend I toodled on up to pick up the bike with my truck. Of course, the bike fired right up.

That wasn't the embarrassing event, merely the foreshadowing. A few weeks later, I took a ride on a Saturday, and decided to stop in at the local Harley shop, which has a fairly decent eatery, for lunch. My WR wouldn't start. Yes, my Yamaha DP died in the parking lot of a Harley dealership... Shog Shog

Circumstances and priorities meant that I didn't get around to finding out what the problem was, nor get it resolved until yesterday. Yup, fuel pump. Worg (my name for the bike) is a happy camper now.

Why, some may wonder, did it take so long to fail? Given that the failures are heat related, and I'm living in Utah's desert, it would seem odd. Except... I'm the second owner. The first owner bought the bike up in Alaska and put the majority of it's miles on it up there. He barely used the bike after he moved down to Wyoming (not exactly a toasty locale either) before selling it to me, where I wasn't able to use it much until the following late spring.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: 2008 Second Fuel Pump   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Okay so I bought this bike new in 2010 and about 1000 miles into owning the bike it wouldn't fire up for me leaving me stranded. Thankfully the bike was still under warranty and the fuel pump was replaced without costing me anything. Fast forward 16,000+ miles and my bike starts to not fire up after it has been running fine for a while. It'll start up just fine when the engine is cold but after running for a while and I stop (i.e. getting some gas or whatever) the bike will not start back up.
Did some research and it looked like I could either buy a new OEM pump for about $250-$300 or a new fuel pump (without the plastic housing that the OEM comes with) on amazon for about $30. I choose to go the Amazon route and try dissembling the plastic housing myself. I used a cotter pin removal tool and a medium size flathead to get the plastic tabs up to remove the original pump and it worked just fine. A little frustrating but that was because I didn't want to break the plastic housing and end up buying the 10x more expensive OEM pump. I got 2 of the 3 tabs up and was able to finagle it. Sorry I didn't take any pics to post but it is pretty straight forward. The nice thing about the $30 pump is that it came with 2 fuel filters too. I thought it was a good deal for $30.

The bike starts up just fine now anytime, Cold or hot!
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 9:04 pm

My replacement pump failed after only 6000 miles this time. It was supposedly the updated version, P/N 3D7-13907-10-00. (See my last post in this thread, 11 posts up.)
This time I installed only the pump, filter, and hose into the stock module. I bought the kit here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFI0NPE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3QEAIM7YYCNN4
We'll see how long this one lasts.....
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Ordered pump   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Need a spare to put on stock.

Ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-Intank-EFI-30mm-Fuel-Pump-for-WR25R-WR25X-2008-2012-/181236341992?hash=item2a32871ce8:g:2jMAAOSwxH1T7YrR&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

Seems to included the lot whats needed.

fuel pump problem - Page 12 Fp11
Back to top Go down
bhmax

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I posted back in 2010 when my stock '08 pump went out somewhere around 4K miles. Got a new Yamaha one then. Just left me stranded yesterday (fairly hot out) with around 9K miles. Just bought a Kemso motor off eBay. The only reason I chose that one is because it says it's made in Japan and designed with ethanol in mind. Hopefully will be good long term!
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Ideas   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Reading topics about the fuel pump.
Nobody mentioning using a std. steel tank or a big plastic tank.
There is a lot of heat insulation at the std tank. From the outside free air flow isnt great.
Can imagine plastic tanks releasing heat different.
No idea whats the more bad the steel or the plastic.
Do the plastics come with insulation.
Do the black plastic give more trouble than the white.

60dgr / 140F shouldnt trouble any kind of device, thats isnt the critcal operating temp,om any kind of part.

So why it fails?

Ethanol or just dirt.

Or is it the typical WR size of 30mm diameter, most others are >35mm.

Car pumps last forever if you ask me.
Lots op street bike pumps easily do 60k mls or never brake.

Why not a general recal or clear courtesy policy.

I think its idiot. Doesnt belong to outback riding, carrying this type of spare parts.
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 4:41 pm

TioJose: How did the HFP pump replacement go?  Any issues or installation problems?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 am

Epee wrote:
TioJose: How did the HFP pump replacement go?  Any issues or installation problems?

Thanks!

Its for spare. Mine isnt broke. Only want a complete set with all parts.
Status quo.
Recieved 1 pump + 1 screen.
Complained about missing parts and made clear i wanted parts that fit.
Made clear "comply" to the advert.

Reaction this morning.
We are sending the hose from the advert with another option as well. It is tough with motorcycle fitments as we think we have our fitment data 100% correct but then there is always someone that has a different set-up. We pioneered motorcycle fuel pump replacements 10 years ago and have researched all of our fitment data ourselves. We strive to make sure we always send out the exact components needed for each year, make, and model so we do apologize you didn't receive what you needed.

By the way, the flex hose isnt needed. Possibly they change the advert pic thats up to them.
I pointed for a fitting black hose and clamps.

Last edited by TioJose on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 am

Thanks for update, TioJose.
Back to top Go down
k1322

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:37 pm

The amount of aftermarket fuel pumps is a jungle to navigate.

KEMSO 13001 looks like an interesting more trustworthy alternative. Made in Japan, some sort of quality testing, lifetime warranty etc. Looks a bit more confidence inspiring than the cheapest chinese pumps (or same pumps sold at a high price by other retailers).

USA retailer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEMSO-30mm-Intank-Fuel-Pump-for-Yamaha-WR250R-2008-2015-/152048776345?hash=item2366d03499:g:eTAAAOSwz2lXCgc3&vxp=mtr

UK retailer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTANK-FUEL-PUMP-FITS-FITS-YAMAHA-WR250X-2008-2009-2010-2011-/262393355517?hash=item3d17dcdcfd:g:eBAAAOSw14xXFJx6&vxp=mtr

Simply, what aftermarket pump to buy these days?
Back to top Go down
k1322

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat May 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Bought the Kemso as a spare. Looks solid, but haven't tested it. Fuel connection pipe isn't ribbed as Cycleworks is.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 3:59 am

My pump finally bit the dust: 2008 model, 8k miles, hot day, aftermarket tank (IMS 4.7), and low on gas. It started dying for a couple of seconds, then it would come back, die again, etc. I was fortunate that this happened at the very end of a 550 mile trip, and I was able to make it home.

I ordered the Kemso pump and it came in just a couple of days (then again, the guy is in California); I was expecting some documentation given that the seller advertises a lifetime warranty for the pump, but there wasn't even a label to indicate the manufacturer, or some contact info in case one needs to file a warranty claim.

So I sent the seller an email asking them how the lifetime warranty is supposed to work without any documentation, and here is his reply:

Quote :
Yes, we offer lifetime warranty, we don't have any document, but we have been selling fuel pump at eBay since 2009, you can count on us, we will give you continued support.

Essentially then the warranty works on an honour system, and the expectation that the seller will still be in business when the pump breaks down. I suppose the pump is inexpensive enough that even if the warranty does not work, one can buy a new one from another vendor.

Got my precision picks form Harbor Freight, and will be installing it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 5:07 am

Mine is still packed in my spare parts bundle, hope not needed in future.

If you like please make a step by step pic story and post it here, how to exchange it and what the trick is leaving the existing hose and pulling it from the bracket.
Back to top Go down
k1322

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 10:09 am

Yes, please snap a couple of pictures for a simple tutorial.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 4:38 am

Replaced the pump over the weekend, and it was easier than what I had feared, but more difficult that what I had been wishing for. Hopefully these notes will help others when faced with the same task.

So we start with the pump assembly, which I had already modified for the IMS 4.7 tank (removed the fuel sensor cage, and moved the sensor down). I had already seen the posts suggesting that the job is much easier if precision picks are available, so I got a set from Harbor Freight.

The plastic cage holding the pump is secured by three tabs, and I started by attempting to open the first one. Inserting one pick was not enough:

fuel pump problem - Page 12 Enhance

but using a second one did the job:

and I was able to pry open the first tab:

But now the plastic cage was under stress, so when I tried to open the second tab, the first one slid back into the locked position.

After a few similarly failed attempts to open the second tab, I realised that I needed to use something to keep the first tab from closing back while I attempted to open the second one. I lodged a small precision screwdriver in the plastic cage to prevent it from sliding back:

and that did the trick; still, the second tab was much more difficult to pry open because the cage was stressed already:

The third tab was even more difficult to open, but eventually it too succumbed without breaking:

Removing the electrical connectors should have been easy, but I was not able to pull the blue wire off; eventually I figured that pushing instead of pulling was much more effective: pushing it up (using the cage as a lever) required almost no force to pop it off:

Next task was to remove the fuel line that connected the upper cage to the lower one:

but no matter how hard I tried, the line would not budge. At some point I gave up and decided to see whether one could separate the two cages enough so that the pump could be pulled out -- and indeed they could:

Finally, the pump is out:

I took my caliper and measured the two pumps, and their dimensions were identical; keep this in mind, we will need this information later.

The stock filter looked clean, so I separated it from the pump intending to use it with the Kemso one. But for some reason, the stock filter did not fit the Kemso pump tightly, so I decided to use the Kemso-provided filter. The star nut that secures the filter to the pump housing was surprisingly difficult to install, so I used the stock one that I had removed from the original pump:

Pay particular attention to the o-ring that seals the pump outlet against the cage; you should hear and feel a distinct *pop* when the pump seats against the cage; I had to re-arrange the o-ring a few times before I got it right.

Once this was done, it was time to slide the upper cage onto the lower one; this required quite a bit of force because the fuel line is inflexible enough that it does not allow for a lot of twisting and bending. It can be done but just barely. From there on, it's easy to slide the two cages to engage the three tabs:

Next step was to secure the fuel level sensor, but when I slid it back into the zip ties, it felt quite loose -- and so did the IMS fuel line that is secured to the stock fuel line with zip ties. I suppose the zip ties must have expanded after spending this much time in gasoline, so I tigthened them up:

I thought I was done, but while examining the pump assembly I discovered that the pump was rattling inside the cage. How could that be? Remember that I had measured the two pumps and their dimensions were identical, so why doesn't the Kemso pump fit tightly inside the cage?

I could not answer this; maybe the stock pump had also been rattling and I did not notice it simply because I never checked it? Whatever the reason, the fact was that the new pump was not fitting tightly inside the cage, so I lodged a zip tie between the cage and the pump, and that eliminated the rattling:

Finally, everything looked fine, and I went ahead and installed the pump assembly back into the tank.

Let's see how long this new pump lasts.

Last edited by johnkol on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks for your quality report.
Info makes it easy to carry a parts and toolkit when going abroad.
And also points of attention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel pump problem   fuel pump problem - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel pump problem
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next