Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Cam chain tensioner fail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
66T

PostSubject: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 am

One thing I forgot to mention in my update on my work bike is that the cam chain tensioner slips periodically, mainly when the motor is cold. Once they start to slip, it's only a short step away from serious failure which can cause disaster.

I went through several new (read expensive) genuine TTR250 tensioners  on my old bike before I bought a manual one for it from the US. Problem solved for ever; just got to be careful not to overtighten the chain.

With that in mind, I ordered a Krieger manual tensioner for the WR-R. It's yet to be fitted, but going on experience I will never have to buy another bloody tensioner.

The problem for us is that our engines are subjected to so much slow running in hot weather, combined with occasional bursts of full throttle up to the limiter, and sudden deceleration to a dead stop, sometimes stalling  Shog from high revs. Anyway, the WR-R one has only lasted 7500km, which is greatly less than the TTR managed. I think that because the WR engine is more responsive and has less flywheel effect, the revs rise and fall quicker and the tensioner can't handle it.

I know a lot of you are going to respond by saying how hard you flog your bike etc etc, but that isn't what roots tensioners imo. It's the conditions described above, which is a different scenario. Some bikes, notably Kawasaki's Stockman, are blessed with extremely tough engines including good tensioners, which rarely fail. Others... Pity the Kawasakis are very nasty to ride imo, something which neither of my Yamahas can be accused of, particularly the WR.
Back to top Go down
wankle

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 am

I never heard anyone having problems with the WR250r timing chain tensioner.  I wonder where these stories come from?

Kawasaki KLX250 yes but not a Yamaha WR250R/X
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 am

wankle wrote:
...I wonder where these stories come from? Kawasaki KLX250 yes but not a Yamaha WR250R/X

2010 - Chain Tensioner, new Yamaha issued part number
2012 - Chain Tensioner, new Yamaha issued part number (redesigned for reliability)
Back to top Go down
zachsb3

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 11:01 am

my wrx has a bad engine rattle sometimes, im thinking the tensioner is on its way out. i was goin replace it with the updated design, but a manual tensioner sounds much better.
Back to top Go down
beee

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I am not trying to be a dick, this is an honest question. How do you know why a part number changes? Is there a tsb associated with the new number?
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

wankle wrote:
I never heard anyone having problems with the WR250r timing chain tensioner.  I wonder where these stories come from?

Kawasaki KLX250 yes but not a Yamaha WR250R/X

I apologise for rattling your cage - that is not the intention of my posts at all. I'm just reporting what happens to my bike, especially because it's often used outside its design paremeters.

As you've probably guessed from the other posts (very interesting, I didn't know the tensioners were upgraded. R1s had an upgrade due to tensioners backing out at high rpm too), it isn't a story. It's a fact. So I have elected to bypass the argument and have bought the Krieger manual tensioner. End of problem. Easy.
Back to top Go down
66T

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm

beee wrote:
I am not trying to be a dick, this is an honest question.  How do you know why a part number changes?  Is there a tsb associated with the new number?

Sometimes there is a recall to solve a problem - some R1s were, I think, recalled to have new tensioners fitted. I haven't heard of this with our bikes. Failed auto tensioners are very common, though. I had an XR600 which had three new tensioners in 63,000km. As I said, the TTR250 ones fail often (and not only mine), and so do DRZ400s (I think the original aftermarket manual parts were to cure their issue).

Factories don't change parts for fun. Unless a design is altered to cut costs, it actually costs them money to upgrade a part. They often do it in the middle of production runs, which creates a headache for spares people. Logic dictates that they will only upgrade a part if they think it will cost them more if it fails than if they leave it alone. A fully failed tensioner in a single is bad enough, but really expensive to fix in a multi if the valve timing goes wrong! GAHHHH 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner fail   

Back to top Go down

Cam chain tensioner fail
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1