Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut

Go down 
AuthorMessage
trailrider77

PostSubject: Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut   Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 pm

I have a 2008 WR250R (about 4K miles on it).

I was changing the stock sprocket from a 13 to a 12 tooth (gearing it lower to prepare for a trip to CO this August). I used an impact air wrench to remove the counter shaft sprocket nut. I pinged out the indentions and then let the wrench run. I noticed that there was some rust on both washers. After I got the nut off I noticed that the threads on the counter shaft and the nut appears to be buggered in a few areas. So much so that I can't screw on the nut anymore. I even added WD40 to reduce friction but with no success.

I was going to get with a mechanic to see if there's a way to clean up the existing threads on the countershaft and nut.

Has anyone ran into this before?

thx
Back to top Go down
4play

PostSubject: Re: Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut   Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Buy a good thread file & a new nut. Work slowly/carefully trying the nut often.

When I remove the nut to change sprockets, I don't try to dig the staked dents out of the sprocket, just turn it off & let the output shaft straighten the staked part of the nut.
Back to top Go down

Buggered Threads on CounterShaft and nut
Page 1 of 1