Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something

Go down 
+6
SLOWRIDER
rsteiger
martin_nj
YZEtc
motokid
cbennett5199
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
4play

4play

Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 pm

I have no data to back up my butt dyno, but I thought my bike's low end responded very favorably to the GSX can & ultimate airbox mod even without the PCV. I did tweak the TPS to the high end of the tolerance to eliminate a slight off idle stumble. It could have been the improved throttle response, but lofting the front end over a rain rut was definitely easier. Ater installing & playing .with the auto tune, mine took away fuel in way more tables than it added. Mine was not even close to being dangerously lean anywhere with the stock tables.
 I did some reading on the exup & it was engineered to boost lowend torque.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 5:51 am

4play wrote:
I have no data to back up my butt dyno, but I thought my bike's low end responded very favorably to the GSX can & ultimate airbox mod even without the PCV. I did tweak the TPS to the high end of the tolerance to eliminate a slight off idle stumble. It could have been the improved throttle response, but lofting the front end over a rain rut was definitely easier. Ater installing & playing .with the auto tune, mine took away fuel in way more tables than it added. Mine was not even close to being dangerously lean anywhere with the stock tables.
 I did some reading on the exup & it was engineered to boost lowend torque.

I have been curious about the difference between autotune and dynotune.

I think the advantage with dynotune is that you can get power output feedback on what the bike is doing with the different A/F ratios. But in my case they used a probe in the end of the GSXR can. It seemed like once he found what A/F ratio made the most power he went and used that across the board when setting up the fuel tables. I have the map at home but I seem to remember that at some RPM and throttle positions he was adding as much as 60% fuel - most of these were near WOT and higher RPMS. Most of the fuel take away was at the lower throttle position and RPMs. Guess this would make sense one would see less bottom end torque.

With the autotune you have an O2 sensor sitting in the exhaust stream at the optimal point to measure the A/F ratio. I would imagine that will autotune you get a more precise reading on what the A/F ratio is really like.

I wonder that if you are not getting a good read on the O2 with a probe in the back of the can (remember that the GSXR can is not a straight pipe/packing type muffler but rather has chambers) how bad that can affect your tuning of the bike.

Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

As long as you are not getting air in the system from leaks, reversion or dealing with a cat, your tail pipe readings should be very accurate. I've dyno tuned many cars this way. I chose the auto tune because I knew I would be making changes as I went & I'm not worried about peak numbers. I'm tuning for each gear & I have played with various AF ratio's. I choose not to run leaner than 14-1 & that's at light throttle cruise in the upper gears. Just above idle in the 1st three gears is normally set ~13.4 for crisp throttle response & no on/off transition issues. I have not played with the AP setting, but I'm considering trying a slightly leaner setting an adding some AP to take care of the transition.

The AT is a fun tool, I check it's trim after a ride or two. Sometimes I accept the changes, sometimes I modify or reject the changes. I get real suspicious on really lean low throttle position numbers thinking that may have been recorded on a long descent..
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 7:14 pm

I went back and looked at the graph from the Dynorun. Looks like he was targeting an A/F ratio of 12.4 across the board.

Seems a tad rich to me.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I've been as rich as 12.5. My perception is I gave up nothing backing off the fuel. I'm still at 13.2-13.4 at WFO to protect the engine running WFO in a long deep sand wash, but I've gradually moved the middle of the curve (cruising range) to 13.8-14 & feel no loss of power.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 6:56 am

Sounds like the gsxr muffler isnt a good fit for this bike, like it is 650 singles, which kinda makes since as 650s are almost 3 times as big, its too big and not scavaging properly at low rpm even tho its quiet.

You cant compare your setup to someone whos running a proper 250 sized pipe on their wrr.

Get a muffler with a straight through design with a smalish core dia (1 3/4-2 inch is ideal for mx 250 four strokes) and you will gain some low end tq like us guys running fmf pipes even tho the fmf is 2 inch core dia (they only make one muffler for every size four stroke to keep cost down so they're all 2 inch cores even tho 1 3/4 would be better for the wrr), other brands will work fine too.

Also watch the vid on how the exup works its on this site some wheres, you will forget about adding it to improve power as it doesnt help power at all.

Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 am

Biglake wrote:
Sounds like the gsxr muffler isnt a good fit for this bike, like it is 650 singles, which kinda makes since as 650s are almost 3 times as big, its too big and not scavaging properly at low rpm even tho its quiet.

You cant compare your setup to someone whos running a proper 250 sized pipe on their wrr.

Get a muffler with a straight through design with a smalish core dia (1 3/4-2  inch is ideal for mx 250 four strokes) and you will gain some low end tq like us guys running fmf pipes even tho the fmf is 2 inch core dia (they only make one muffler for every size four stroke to keep cost down so they're all 2 inch cores even tho 1 3/4 would be better for the wrr), other brands will work fine too.

Also watch the vid on how the exup works its on this site some wheres, you will forget about adding it to improve power as it doesnt help power at all.

Curious what facts you used to draw that conclusion?  I ran an FMF on mine briefly & it was louder, in no way better. I've ridden with a couple of FMF equipped bikes when mine was stock other than the GSXR can & air box mod. Their wasn't a dime's difference in performance between any of them. If anything mine pulled harder with the GSXR can than any of the FMF equipped bikes & I out weighed the guys by 50lbs.or more.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 4:07 pm

I looked at what works best on similar 250cc bikes like motocrossers, non of them run any pipe with baffles as they hurt power and the largest core dia is 2 inch most are 1 3/4, the wrr is no different just a bit slower.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm

I've run both & disagree.

Rsteiger, what did yours dyno at?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 5:15 pm

4play wrote:
I've run both & disagree.

Rsteiger, what did yours dyno at?

26 with a newish D606 rear tire.  I mention the rear tire since he was having some issues with it on the dyno rollers.  Said it works much better with street type tires.

Last week I decided that instead of having a set of shelves for my motorcycle parts that I would break the shelves down by bike. A set of shelves for my DL650, WR250R, GasGas XC250, and the Beta 520 RR. I came to this conclusion when trying to find a set of rear brake pads for my DL650. Well I found about 6 sets of brake pads without a clue of what bike they go on. So I spent about 40 minutes with Google to figure out all the applications.

While going through my search I found a stock exhaust header for the WR250R with an O2 bung welded in it. Forgot that I had bought that awhile ago. Well maybe I just might play around with Autotune a bit now... wonder if I bought the module too? LOL  poser2 
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 pm

I wound up getting a pretty good deal off ebay for the auto tune. I paid less for the PCV and AT combined than I could buy the PCV alone locally. I've been talking to Daniel Crower about the 306 so I may not be through tuning yet  wink
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 5:52 pm

4play wrote:
I wound up getting a pretty good deal off ebay for the auto tune. I paid less for the PCV and AT combined than I could buy the PCV alone locally. I've been talking to Daniel Crower about the 306 so I may not be through tuning yet  wink

thumb thumb wings 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something   Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just bought a 2013 wr250r and am curious about something
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next