Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need your wisdom

Go down 
+11
rsteiger
gatorfan
4play
YZEtc
wristpin
Evol
beefcakemorris
beee
dmmcd
motokid
DustyCowboy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DustyCowboy

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi WR owers!

I came here searching for some advice. To make it short, I'm on my third DS bike in three years and I still not have found the right one for me.

My first bike was a TW200. I really loved it but his lack of power on the highway was the main reason I sold it.

My second one was a KLX250S 2009. At first I thought I had found my dream ride, but again, with a top speed of 75 mph, I had had time following my riding buddies on longer trips.

I liked both bikes on the trails I ride (forest service roads and light ATV trails) but I did not felt comfortable riding them on the highway. It was almost impossible to pass cars and headwinds were a problem.

In may I bought a KLR650 2002. I like the torque of the engine, his highway manners, but in the trails it's way too heavy to my taste. I'm not a small guy at 5'10'' 215 lbs and needing the help of a friend to pick my bike if it falls when loaded really pi»% me off. It's now for sale.

I'm looking at the WR250R and wondering if it's the right bike for me. I red tons of infos on the web about it, but not being able to do a test ride before purchase, your opinions are more than welcomed.

What I'm looking for in a DS motorcycle :

1 - Keep it for a long time (I'm tired a buying a bike, customize it to realize it's not the one for me).

2 - Reliability. When far away from home and civilization, I want peace of mind.

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a car if needed. Remember, I'm 215 pounds + gear.

4 - Luggage capacity. Two side bags and a duffle on the rear rack for longer trips.

5 - Light weight. I mean not needing someone else to pick up the bike if it falls.

6 - The possibility to mod it to my taste. Aftermarket parts for comfort and performance.

So, do you think the WR250R would suit my needs?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:30 pm

NO.

You need a 500cc race bike to do what you're asking for: KTM 500 or maybe a Honda XR650R. They will both go a true 100 mph, and weigh less than the WR250R.

Back to top Go down
DustyCowboy

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:20 pm

dhally wrote:
NO.  

You need a 500cc race bike to do what you're asking for:  KTM 500 or maybe a Honda XR650R.  They will both go a true 100 mph, and weigh less than the WR250R.

I hope not everybody on this forum is like you.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

DustyCowboy wrote:
Hi WR owers!

I came here searching for some advice. To make it short, I'm on my third DS bike in three years and I still not have found the right one for me.

My first bike was a TW200. I really loved it but his lack of power on the highway was the main reason I sold it.

My second one was a KLX250S 2009. At first I thought I had found my dream ride, but again, with a top speed of 75 mph, I had had time following my riding buddies on longer trips.

I liked both bikes on the trails I ride (forest service roads and light ATV trails) but I did not felt comfortable riding them on the highway. It was almost impossible to pass cars and headwinds were a problem.

In may I bought a KLR650 2002. I like the torque of the engine, his highway manners, but in the trails it's way too heavy to my taste. I'm not a small guy at 5'10'' 215 lbs and needing the help of a friend to pick my bike if it falls when loaded really pi»% me off. It's now for sale.

I'm looking at the WR250R and wondering if it's the right bike for me. I red tons of infos on the web about it, but not being able to do a test ride before purchase, your opinions are more than welcomed.

What I'm looking for in a DS motorcycle :

1 - Keep it for a long time (I'm tired a buying a bike, customize it to realize it's not the one for me).

2 - Reliability. When far away from home and civilization, I want peace of mind.

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a car if needed. Remember, I'm 215 pounds + gear.

4 - Luggage capacity. Two side bags and a duffle on the rear rack for longer trips.

5 - Light weight. I mean not needing someone else to pick up the bike if it falls.

6 - The possibility to mod it to my taste. Aftermarket parts for comfort and performance.

So, do you think the WR250R would suit my needs?

Thank you!

The big issue here is the highway - 75 mph and over - stuff.

We're talking a 250cc, 4 stroke single, making 25 horsepower.

If you'd have asked everything you asked without the highway (75 mph and over) stuff you might be getting different answers.

Can you do it? Yes. A few have.
Should you?????

Find a wr250 you can test drive.

We'd all love to have a 50 horse power, sub 250 pound, 8 speed, touring dirt sportbike that can be taken on single track and motocross tracks, as well as roadraced, and super-slabbed with a passenger for hundreds of miles a day that only costs about $3500 brand new, and has a bullet proof engine.

The wr250 does some things really well, and others not so well.

Test drive one. Rent one.

Then, only you can make the call as to whether it's the bike for you or not.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Maybe I am the exception, but my WR cruises at 75 mph with no problems. Well, not in the power department anyway... It does get a little bit of weave from the aggressive steering geometry and cross winds will have you in the next lane before you realize it. But I can be at 75 and accelerate to over 80 without too much trouble at all.

My opinion:

1 - Yes, it will last a long time. Some have 40 to 50k on them, which is pretty darn good for a 250cc single.
2 - Yes, super reliable with a long track record. Super easy maintenance, similar to a car.
3 - I can hold 75 mph with no problems, but I am about 145 lbs.
4 - People have done this, but your bike weight will increase, as will drag, with subsequent decrease in performance.
5 - It's not a featherweight CR250R, but it is certainly no KLR650 either.
6 - There are plenty of ways to dump money into it.
Back to top Go down
beee

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm

My engine stock, can happily cruise at 70mph all day, with the ability to slowly creep up to about 78, if there are no hills or heavy wind. You can modify your motor, but that will cut into reliability.

I have been curious about a ktm exc 530.  It is basically ktms enduro that is street legal.  add a cush drive, easily bought, and it should be good for 10,000 miles reliably.  People say the engine is smooth similar to the wr250r, only lighter with better suspension and way better power.  If having a lower life race motor doesn't scare you then you should definitely check it out.

If you want to be able to pick up a loaded bike that has fallen over, then you might want to look into ultralight/light weight back packing.  Everything I need for a weekend of summer camping/hiking with 2 liters of water and food weighs in at 35lbs.
That includes a real tent (henry shire's double rainbow tarp tent) and a blow up comfy air mattress by big agnes.  Another place to save a lot of space and weight would be a quality sleeping bag.  I have a mont-bell down mummy bag that is stretchy, making it the least restrictive mummy bag.  800 fill down is extremely compressible and light allowing it to pack up into tiny spaces.
Back to top Go down

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

DustyCowboy wrote:

I hope not everybody on this forum is like you.

They are not.  Some will tell you that the WR250R can cruise at 75 mph and pass easily.  That is not my experience.  I think it can cruise at 60 mph and pass with some planning.  It is WFO at 75.
Back to top Go down
beefcakemorris

beefcakemorris

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:58 pm

I am coming from a similar path. I have TW200 and had a DRZ 400 supermoto at the same time. I love trail riding, going to MX tracks, and single track with my TW200 so much that I sold my DRZ 400 supermoto and got a WR250.

The weight difference between the DRZ 400 and the WR250 feels night and day, I have no idea about the actual numbers. The WR can cruise at 73 very and still have a little room for passing if planned ahead. I am running a stock motor, use a 13/46 setup, and running stock tires.

The DRZ would have made a good dual sport if I bought the rim setup, but it was a heavy bike. It could cruz at 80 no problems.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm

I easily cruise at 120km/h (75mph) and I have hit 143km/h (89mph) when needed.
I weight 185lbs + gear (~210lbs)
I have done all the standard mods to my WRX except gearing (I'm still stock with 13:42)
I don't know how this translates to the WRR with it's taller wheels.

I will say that there is a good difference between a stock WRR/X and a modified one.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes - the wr250r/x can go 90 mph, or even more, depending on conditions, gearing, mods, and length of road.

There's trade-offs to get that too.

Geared to run 90 mph means you have a very boring bike at slower speeds.

Also, cruising along on a freeway in 6th gear at 75 mph and "needing" a burst of acceleration is something that's not really going to happen.

As others have said....you really need to plan ahead to push this bike past 75-80 mph, and especially if you're loaded down with all kinds of extra crap on your bike.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
wristpin

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:33 pm

A wr can do everything you want it to except blowing past people on the highway. It's not a whole lot different than the kawi 250, a bit more top end, 85 is reasonable if you are not going uphill. You are asking for too much. A dual sport bike is neither a street bike or a dirt bike, you will make compromises in both areas with one. Your dream bike has not been built yet.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 pm

DustyCowboy wrote:

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a car if needed.

The WR-250R will be able to maintain 75mph, but is also approaching it's top speed at 75mph.
That means if you expect to be able to just whack open the throttle and get past a slower car as quickly as that KLR-650, fuggetaboutit.
Slowly creep past it is more like it, unless the slower car is doing 45mph.

Basically, in automotive terms, you're asking if a Jeep CJ would be King of the Highway.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 10:55 pm

You are getting good advice.
 A stock WRR will cruise 75 (actual speed) all week long on flat level ground without much headwind. There is not much reserve accelerationat that speed. Open the exhaust, tune it & go to a ~47 rear sprocket & it's a bit easier.

IMHO to get everything you described from the WRR, you'd need a pipe, air box, programmer & a big bore kit.

Mine's 306cc's now & it will do everything you listed.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm going to add I bought the WRR to replace a dual sport that weighed about the same as your KLR knowing the trade off of being a little less high speed hwy capable. I also had a KTM450XC. After playing with the WRR for a few months I decided I didn't need the KTM. The WRR is the only bike I'm aware of that can do gnarly single track & pull out on the hwy & cruise 70plus all the way to Alaska & back with no worries.
Back to top Go down
DustyCowboy

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 am

Thank you for your answers guys. They seem really honest and I appreciate it. The WR250R might not be the bike I'm looking for. I'll try to find one and test drive it to confirm that.

On a side note, I did post the same exact question a DRZ forum, asking if the DRZ would be the right bike for me and all but one answers were positives.

I don't want to start a debate here, that's why I did not asked for a comparison of the two.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 am

yeah ummmm...  hide   widely known, but hush hush fact...... hide 

suzuki riders lie....
Spoiler:

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 am

DRZ's are one gear away from being really decent dual sport bikes. If you gear one low enough for serious trail work it's miserable on the hwy & vice versa. a 6th gear on these would be really nice.

You might want to consider a Honda XR650L, way more capable than a KLR off road & ~40lbs lighter. If you have the budget a KTM690 would be worth a look.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Well, if money is no object, I would sell the WR and buy one of these.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/17/ten-reasons-why-i-love-the-ktm-500-exc-street-legal-enduro-bike/
Back to top Go down
beefcakemorris

beefcakemorris

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

DustyCowboy wrote:
Thank you for your answers guys. They seem really honest and I appreciate it. The WR250R might not be the bike I'm looking for. I'll try to find one and test drive it to confirm that.

On a side note, I did post the same exact question a DRZ forum, asking if the DRZ would be the right bike for me and all but one answers were positives.

I don't want to start a debate here, that's why I did not asked for a comparison of the two.

Thanks again

See if you can test/rent both bikes.

Mods would be about the same instead of doing the fuel prog. you will want to go with a 39mm fcr carb and the MRD SS full exhaust to really open the bike up. In addtion the stock seat height is lower.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Dusty, seems like you got the answer you requested but if you still have any doubts I'll weigh in on the NO side. The gearing changes you would have to make to pass at the highway speeds (and added weight) you are looking for would gut the life out of the low and midsection of this machine.

Look at the KTM EXC 500. For what you are asking out of a thumper you better be willing to pay for.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 4:10 pm

When I see "KTM" I see 300-500 mile oil changes with 500 miles really pushing the upper edge of the envelope.

As in, once in a while 500 miles isn't bad, but don't make it a habit.

I also see 750-1000 mile valve checks.

That's just too damn much to worry about and maintain on a $10,000 motocross bike with blinkers and a license plate.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 4:59 pm

motokid wrote:
When I see  "KTM"  I see 300-500 mile oil changes with 500 miles really pushing the upper edge of the envelope.

As in, once in a while 500 miles isn't bad, but don't make it a habit.

I also see 750-1000 mile valve checks.

That's just too damn much to worry about and maintain on a $10,000  motocross bike with blinkers and a license plate.

Service manual for 500 exc says 15 hours for oil change, so technically, if you can average 67 mph, you can go 1000 miles between oil changes...  Very happy deal 

Valve check is 30 hours.

If I had this for my daily commuter, I would be changing oil once or twice a month. Not too bad, considering what you get.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Moto, when did you get moderator status? Movin' on up are we?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 5:41 pm

I have a Beta 520 RR with similar service requirements. Most of those are based on racing.

Typically I change the motor oil every 1000 miles and would go out to 1500 if need be. Usually change the filter every other change. Since the motor oil requirement is only 0.8L this is not a big issue but if I was out on a long ride away from everything I would need to carry that 10W-50 super synthetic stuff along since it is not easy to find at a rural gas station.

Not sure about the KTM, but my Beta as a separate transmission oil circuit which I change with every other engine oil change. That too is 0.8L but typically easier to find oil.

So far I have not needed to shim the valves (shim under bucket) but I only have about 2400 miles on the bike. The good news is that in the two checks I have done they really have not moved.

That being said.....

I prefer my WR250R over the Beta for most of my adventure rides. Typically the bike has plenty of capability for my limited talent and it is nice to know that you have a full subframe to haul your stuff around.

The longer maintenance intervals of the WRR combined with easy to get parts is a big plus when doing longer adventure type rides.

The Beta is my base camp play bike and I really enjoy riding it since it makes me think I am far more talented than I am and that is a good fantasy for an old man to have unless you are dealing with a Gold Digger. If you told me I could only have one I would probably pick the WRR.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 5:53 am

gatorfan wrote:
Moto, when did you get moderator status? Movin' on up are we?

The admin's here are very tough salesmen. They grabbed my arm, twisted it high up behind my back and beat me with a rubber hose until I agreed to taking a position on the staff. I heard Jager in the shadows pushing for a bit of waterboarding, but I caved before things went that far.

They still haven't given me the key to the executive bathroom.  budah 

They've got it disguised as a overflowing porta-potty, but my keen talent for seeing past the surface of things tells me that when I finally get that key......well, I promise not to gloat about it here among-st the common folk.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need your wisdom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need your wisdom   Need your wisdom Empty

Back to top Go down

Need your wisdom
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next