Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain Length Basics- school me

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowiat

Chain Length Basics- school me Empty
PostSubject: Chain Length Basics- school me   Chain Length Basics- school me EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 pm

My WRR was stock and although I really like it, I miss the ability my old 2 stroke KTM had to lift the front wheel up and over a puddle or a limb with the flick of the wrist. I'm not sure how close the WRR will ever get to that, especially while remaining geared and tired for street use also but I've been experimenting.

I got a 12 for the front and that's sure a step in the right direction. I've got a 47 tooth for the rear on the way. I'd like to have first gear pretty slow for picking my way through rock gardens and such.

Questions: How many links was in the stock chain? 108? Does it have a master link or must I grind and punch? Is it worth buying the tool for that?

The normal links on a chain are in sets of two... right? If you add a piece from another chain you have to do it in two link increments.. right? But a master link is just one link... Is that the exception to the rule? If I needed 3 links, it would be weak to simply add 3 masterlinks, right?

Should do this with pieces linked together or is it smarter to just have two chains, and if I go with a second chain from what I've read I will need a 112 for the 12/47 and that should work for the 13/27 also... do you agree?

thanks.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chain Length Basics- school me   Chain Length Basics- school me EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Stock chain is 108.
No master-link on stock chain.

I have a 13/48 and 112 links works great.

110 might work for 12/47, but I don't know for sure.

Get a new chain. Order a 115 link chain. Cut it to meet your needs.
If all you're changing is front sprocket from 12 to 13,  I see no reason why you'd need two chains.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs

Last edited by motokid on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain Length Basics- school me   Chain Length Basics- school me EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Order a few front sprocket nuts, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain Length Basics- school me   Chain Length Basics- school me Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain Length Basics- school me
Page 1 of 1