Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wr250r and heated gear

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
oxygenrace

wr250r and heated gear Empty
PostSubject: wr250r and heated gear   wr250r and heated gear EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 pm

I live in canada and would like to extend my riding season with heated gear. i have a yamaha wr250r with a 350W alternator. I was thinking glove liners, sock liners, jacket liner and pant liner. Do most people skip on the pant liner? Do you think all this gear would be ok electrically? I also have a GPS and heated grips (which I wouldnt use with the glove liners).
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: wr250r and heated gear   wr250r and heated gear EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 pm

oxygenrace wrote:
I live in canada and would like to extend my riding season with heated gear.  i have a yamaha wr250r with a 350W alternator.  I was thinking glove liners, sock liners, jacket liner and pant liner.  Do most people skip on the pant liner?  Do you think all this gear would be ok electrically?  I also have a GPS and heated grips (which I wouldnt use with the glove liners).

I run the following heated gear:

Jacket liner
Chaps
Gloves

along with a hard wired GPS with absolutely no problems.

I don't remember the voltage numbers now, but my bike was putting out enough juice even at idle to support the gear AND charge the battery.

Just do what I did and measure the voltage across the battery terminals with everything plugged in and running with the bike idling (worst case scenario).

We don't have the exact same gear, but I would bet that you are good to go. thumb
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: wr250r and heated gear   wr250r and heated gear EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 11:16 am

I run grip warmers and a home-made heated vest, along with a phone charger (doesn't draw much). My vest draws 55-60 Watts. Not sure about the grip heaters, but probably another 20 watts or so. Never had an issue with draining the battery.

I have ridden down to 10 deg F before. It sucked, but I survived. The heated vest and grip warmers were key. I also have insulated covers that go over my hands like big mittens that keep the heat in.

I wear insulated riding pants and waterproof boots, and I can honestly say I never had a problem with cold feet or legs. I wear a balaclava over my head, but still get some air up in the helmet. I think that is the worst part for me in cold weather. Then if you seal up the helmet, it will fog up inside and the fog will start to frost over. I need one of those snowmobile helmets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wr250r and heated gear   wr250r and heated gear Empty

Back to top Go down

wr250r and heated gear
Page 1 of 1