Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install

Go down 
+3
Caldsy
TwoBuells
Evol
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Caldsy

Caldsy

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Empty
PostSubject: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:07 am

Hey Forum!

pretty excited about last nights events in my garage! I've had my WR for about a month and have had the bars and stuff since the day I bought it... well, last night finally got off my ass to install them! Very easy and straight forward!  thumb

I decided to go with the Magnesium color rather then the Black for the bars and I'm pretty happy with the results! Thanks for everyone's posts on this site... it helped me make my decision with this setup! Can't wait to try it out now... except it's now winter in Canada! booerns.. baldy

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install <a href=Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Fullsi10" />

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install <a href=Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Fullsi11" />

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install <a href=Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Fullsi12" />

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install <a href=Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Fullsi13" />
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Those handguard brackets look heavy duty! I like the way they mount close to the triple clamp. How do they attach to the bar ends? Some are coming with taps now instead of the expanding inserts?
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

They are definitely well made quality stuff and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. They fit the bar ends with expanding inserts...although they don't tighten that well they are still very solid. Maybe I just don't know how to make them expand like they should...either way I can't see them going anywhere
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am

**Update**.. now that my grips have had time to cure with the rubber cement I used (maybe that was a bad idea...lol) the throttle side seems to stick and won't release. I've loosened off the Throttle tube to make sure it's not overtight but that's not the problem.. my guess is that maybe I used a little too much Rubber Cement and it's causing the Throttle Tube to not release properly?

Any thoughts before I have to buy new grips and take the old one off?

thanks,
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 pm

I love my Evo's...
Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_20140906_152817

Caldsy wrote:
**Update**.. now that my grips have had time to cure with the rubber cement I used (maybe that was a bad idea...lol) the throttle side seems to stick and won't release. I've loosened off the Throttle tube to make sure it's not overtight but that's not the problem.. my guess is that maybe I used a little too much Rubber Cement and it's causing the Throttle Tube to not release properly?  
Any thoughts before I have to buy new grips and take the old one off?
thanks,

How did you install yours?
For me, I had to do a few things.
First I had to break off the locating tab in the throttle (that locates in the hole on the stock bar)
Then I had to cut off the end of the throttle tube completely so that it would NOT interfere with the bar end (Zeta, made by Cycra)
This means I have a "short throttle tube" (insert joke here) and my grip is actually a tad longer than the tube.

FYI, I do NOT use grip glue or wire, just put them on dry with an air gun nozzle. They grip like crazy and have not moved one bit all summer and unfortunately it rained a few times when I was at work. Still didn't get loose. They are Renthal Kevlar Road grips.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Apparently, my butt is not as lazy as I thought it was, I went to the garage and I took some pics... D\'OH
Cell phone pics that is... Shog
Hopefully these can help you and/or the next guy looking for insight.  freaky

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_20141120_174230

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_20141120_174147

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_20141120_174126

Oh and I forgot to mention, I have crash tested this setup twice and everything has held up nicely !!!
First time I pretty much drove into a ditch on the side of the road.
Second time I low sided at an intersection at night (didn't see the gravel).
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 12:27 am

I managed to figure it out. The grip needed to be trimmed down some s it wasn't sticking to the guard. Thanks for the help.

I like your mirror setup.. Where did you get those?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Ebay knockoffs... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Motorcycle-3-Round-7-8-Handle-Bar-End-Rearview-Mirrors-Side-Mirrors-1-Pair-/281487114519?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4189f08117&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 pm

EVO Bars Rock beavis

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_0636_zps09885c53

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install IMG_0749b_zps66b4ec25
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Yes they do! Very happy with the set-up!
Back to top Go down
nsrider

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 pm

How high did you go with the risers, and how much slack is left in your cables?
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 am

nsrider wrote:
How high did you go with the risers, and how much slack is left in your cables?

the Pro-Taper risers utilize the bottom half of the stock risers. So all in all I likely gained about 3/4" on the risers. I went with the low bend (I don't do much stand up riding) so overall I think I gained about an 1" overall. As for slack... there wasn't much to start with and there wasn't much when I finished. No modification needed nor did I have to adjust the slack in any of the cables (clutch or throttle). It was very straight forward install and it was my first time doing something like this on a bike.

Overall, between my Pro-Taper/Cyrca guard set up for my handlebars or my Full FMF system with FMF programmer the better $ was spent on the handlebar set up. The extra power is nice but the nicer fit and finish/less vibration up front makes for a nicer ride IMO.
Back to top Go down
nsrider

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I am looking to go a couple inches higher than stock. I want to be a little more upright when standing on the pegs.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 am

You're better off going with the Windham RM/MID bend. I believe it will give you the most height. Here is the link to the Pro Taper site that gives all the dimensions for their EVO bars.

http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/evo

Happy purchasing. I bought mine online thru motorcyclesuperstore.com. best prices I could find.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 8:53 pm

Caldsy wrote:
You're better off going with the Windham RM/MID bend. I believe it will give you the most height.

That's what I've got on my WRX and I find it to be very comfy.
I also have the universal solid mounts which add about 3/4" themselves.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 pm

For anyone wanting to maximize the handlebar to foot peg distance

... there is a guy in the vendor section that makes lowering pegs.. {5 to 20mm "down" and rearward about 10 mm }

here is the link in case anyone is interested..

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8177p20-footpegs-for-wr250r
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 am

I pretty much did the same thing. ProTaper EVO (Windham) and the Cycra Pro Bend guards. Here are a couple video reviews of each. Really easy to install, gives me almost an inch of lift over stock, stock cables work fine. Feels like a new bike.

ProTaper EVO bars, Windham bend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AfNofFjiA&list=UUel5rOdOv1PC45YLc8JSixA&index=5

Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMlohjgnOA&list=UUel5rOdOv1PC45YLc8JSixA&index=4

Back to top Go down
Alf-Jam

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

My NOOBness may be exposed here, but I really need some help>>>

I removed stock bars and installed ProTaper Windham bends, but I ran into a couple issues with throttle tube. It is possible that I routed the throttle cables incorrectly bc my throttle is very sticky and hard to turn....and it will not return to neutral throttle position once you release it. I placed grease between bar and throttle tube, and used rubber cement to adhere grip to throttle tube. I really think it is just the throttle cables though. Does anyone have any photos showing correctly placed throttle cables? Another thing is that my cables seem too tight when bars are turned to the max. I may need to trim the bars as I know many of you have. What is the ideal amount to cut off? 1/4" on each side?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Alf-Jam wrote:
It is possible that I routed the throttle cables incorrectly bc my throttle is very sticky and hard to turn....and it will not return to neutral throttle position once you release it.  I placed grease between bar and throttle tube, and used rubber cement to adhere grip to throttle tube.  I really think it is just the throttle cables though.  Does anyone have any photos showing correctly placed throttle cables?  Another thing is that my cables seem too tight when bars are turned to the max.  I may need to trim the bars as I know many of you have. What is the ideal amount to cut off?  1/4" on each side?

I wouldn't cut the bars yet.  I installed the Windham bend and ProTaper risers with no throttle cable issues whatsoever.  Since the Pro-Taper bars do not have a hole / groove where the throttle mechanism sits, it is possible your throttle tube is mounted too far inward where the inside end of the throttle tube is making contact with the handlebar end.  Try loostening the throttle tube assembly and sliding it outward just a hair (1mm) and re-tighten.  If that doesn't help, is there a chance you got some rubber cement inside the tube?   Inspect the tube and handlebar for friction before reassembling.  Check those things and report back.

If you skip to about 2:20 in my video you can see how my cables exit the throttle mechanism and route downward into the bike, same routing as stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AfNofFjiA&list=UUel5rOdOv1PC45YLc8JSixA&index=5

Eric
Back to top Go down
Alf-Jam

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 2:55 pm

emdavis197 wrote:
Alf-Jam wrote:
It is possible that I routed the throttle cables incorrectly bc my throttle is very sticky and hard to turn....and it will not return to neutral throttle position once you release it.  I placed grease between bar and throttle tube, and used rubber cement to adhere grip to throttle tube.  I really think it is just the throttle cables though.  Does anyone have any photos showing correctly placed throttle cables?  Another thing is that my cables seem too tight when bars are turned to the max.  I may need to trim the bars as I know many of you have. What is the ideal amount to cut off?  1/4" on each side?

I wouldn't cut the bars yet.  I installed the Windham bend and ProTaper risers with no throttle cable issues whatsoever.  Since the Pro-Taper bars do not have a hole / groove where the throttle mechanism sits, it is possible your throttle tube is mounted too far inward where the inside end of the throttle tube is making contact with the handlebar end.  Try loostening the throttle tube assembly and sliding it outward just a hair (1mm) and re-tighten.  If that doesn't help, is there a chance you got some rubber cement inside the tube?   Inspect the tube and handlebar for friction before reassembling.  Check those things and report back.

If you skip to about 2:20 in my video you can see how my cables exit the throttle mechanism and route downward into the bike, same routing as stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AfNofFjiA&list=UUel5rOdOv1PC45YLc8JSixA&index=5

Eric

I think you may be right....I pushed the throttle tube all the way back so that the outer-most plastic rim was against end of bar. I will look into it when I get home.. Also, the rubber cement could've easily gotten inside the tube, as that gunk was hard to control (much runnier than I expected) MUCHO GRACIAS!
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 am

I had the same issue (throttle tube wouldn't return). and it was caused due to adhesive I used for the grip. took the throttle tube/cables apart, cleaned everything and it works magically. DO NOT CUT YOUR BARS. shouldn't have to. I did however drill a tiny hole for the throttle mechanism to hold in place better. most people just cut that nipple off the mechanism but I took the extra time and did the install properly.
Back to top Go down
Alf-Jam

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for the input guys....turns out I had tightened the throttle housing back with the black plastic ring inside. It is supposed to act as barrier between tube and housing. Guess that's what I get for taking a dinner break in the middle of the install. Also, I moved my bars forward to the "+2" position and my cables seem to have more slack....not much though. I do not plan on cutting the bars and I don't see any reason to do so...my controls barely fit as it is! And I DID remove the locator tab within the starter housing....which was really just a victim of my frustration, but I don't believe it is going to cause much trouble in the future, especially with my triple clamp mounts! Time will tell.

I plan on mounting my Handguards tonight, but I can already sense a trip to the hardware store may be in order as the clamps look like they will need longer bolts and the angle of the end of hand guard doesn't seem to match angle of clamps once set. I will report back.....
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 9:43 am

what kind of guards did you get? The Cyrca's came with a longer bolt and spacer for that reason.
Back to top Go down
Alf-Jam

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Caldsy wrote:
what kind of guards did you get? The Cyrca's came with a longer bolt and spacer for that reason.  

Did you get the bar mount pack or the triple clamp mount? I got the Cycra's but just the guards and bar ends...I ordered the triple clamp mounts seperately and there were no longer bolts in my package.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install   Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install Empty

Back to top Go down

Pro-Taper risers, Evo fat bars and Cyrca Guards install
Page 1 of 1