Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
allan p

allan p

Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) Empty
PostSubject: Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)   Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Currently in the midst of giving a new-to-me stock X a makeover. I've got new tires on the way (Shinko 244's) and have moved on to replacing the rear sprocket.

I know the common consensus 'round here is to go with a 13/48 setup but my new (taller) tires had me wondering what effect they had on gearing.

Long story short... my brain damn near exploded and I'm now more confused than when I started.

To get the desired effect of 13/48 with the taller tires do I go even bigger (50?) than the recommended 48 or smaller?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)   Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 am

A taller tire will give you taller gearing, but, in my opinion, just try it and then decide.
I wouldn't be surprised if you feel it's just fine.

On my own WR250X, I used Michelin Pilot Power tires (it was a street bike for me) with 13/49 sprockets.
I felt it was perfect for the bike.
I did not measure or compare the circumference of the Pilot Powers to the original Bridgestone tires.
Back to top Go down
allan p

allan p

PostSubject: Re: Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)   Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I went ahead and bought a Renthal 49t sprocket and 112 link chain...

Hopefully I'll like the setup with the taller(ish) tires.

I just want a little more pep, I don't plan on doing too much highway riding with this bike.
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)   Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 am

I've got a 50 tooth with the relatively tall Dunlop 606 rear tire. I use a 13t front for mild dirt roads and a 12t front for the steep, rocky, nasty stuff. 112 links, like you.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)   Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Effect of taller tires on re gearing (ie 48 or 50?)
Page 1 of 1