Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BackRoader

PostSubject: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Fishing installing the FMF header and Q4 Exhaust.
Did the ESRM Mod as part of the Exhaust install.
Going to do the AIS mod today (as soon as I the temperature in my shop above freezing today). Just wondering if the Air Box Flapper Mod is required as part of AIS Mod.?
I plan on riding 75% off road, so there is going to be lots of dust and water crossings.
Listening to the comments on the forum, the general consensus seems to come down to " more noise " and many have not really noticed a change.

Also installing an FMF Programmer in the spring when it warms up enough here to test the settings.

Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: air box   Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:40 pm

this may be a bit outside the airbox question you have but i ride off road a lot and was thinking that maybe the air flapper may buy valuable time if the wr was dropped during a larger water crossing ... so far comments are more to the effect "i pray that doesn't happen" ..

food for thought... lurk
Back to top Go down
BackRoader

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 pm

I have seen the tip overs in water holes..... Some pretty good ones, complete sub merges....
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:01 pm

The stock intake setup is restrictive enough as it is, if you are opening up everything else downstream of the cylinder I can't see any reason why you shouldn't open up the top and let it breathe. The ultimate air box mod seems to be the best option without really opening up the box (like taking the door off or something) to keep crud out if you are spending a majority of the time off road. Just do your air filter maintenance religiously, you should be alright. You swamp it, and you're screwed either way stock or modded.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:24 pm

If you look closely at the flapper you see it only closes off part of the opening so it wont keep water out in a tip over.

A quick easy way to tell if modding the airbox makes it run better is to take the airbox door off and go for a ride, you can find out for yourself for free and put it back on easily.

Mine runs better with a big hole cut in the airbox above the filter and the flapper gutted, this is about the same as taking the door off but its in a spot water cant get into unless its coming in the stock opening anyway. I run mostly offroad, this setup is just as good as stock at keeping water and dust out of the airbox.

This mod isnt necessary at all, you can leave the bike 100% stock, it runs fine that way too.

It has been dyno proven years ago that cutting holes in the top of the airbox or taking the door off for guys avoiding water makes a couple more hp.
Back to top Go down
BackRoader

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for the input. I will open the side door and give it a go in the spring.
Its going back into storage for now until April. Way too friggin cold here now, as it takes 4 to 5 hours to heat my shop up to a bareable temp.
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:29 pm

BackRoader wrote:
Thanks for the input. I will open the side door and give it a go in the spring.
Its going back into storage for now until April. Way too friggin cold here now, as it takes 4 to 5 hours to heat my shop up to a bareable temp.

Just knock the inside part of the snorkel out. The "ultimate airbox" if you will. With that, a slip on, and a PCV with ignition and Autotune, it makes vastly more power. I would never go back.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

PostSubject: Air Box Mod?   Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

I F#$Ked with mine a little bit...

Runs like a champ with the programer, and new exhaust.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?   

Back to top Go down

Air Box Mod, Is It Necessary?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: General Maintenance Discussion-
Jump to: