Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Break in period during winter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Afunaro

PostSubject: Break in period during winter   Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 pm

I need some opinions on this. I got my 2014 wr250r in August and have only put 500 miles on it. (I know need to ride if more) Now that it is winter will me winterizing it effect the break in?
I was going to replace the gas and add stabalizer, change the oil with valvoline 10w 40,
Clean the bike, then leave it on a center stand. What do you guys think?
Also was going to switch to synthetic at 1500k?
And how do you drain the fuel?
Back to top Go down
Afunaro

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:04 pm

And oil filter**
Back to top Go down
4play

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Drain the tank by syphoning it out, or remove it & turn it upside down. At 500 miles it's broken in, don't worry about that. Fresh fuel with stabilizer, fresh oil & putting it on a stand all sound good. After you clean it up, I'd run it until the fan cycles to get everything up to temperature before putting it to sleep before the winter. I'd then remove the battery & put it on a tender.
Back to top Go down
Evol

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Where are you located? Or a better question would be: Does the fuel you use contain ethanol ? If so, then I've heard it is a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer.
The fuel I use does not contain any ethanol, and I just park my bike in the garage for the Winter (5 months) without doing anything to it at all. No fuel stabilizer, no battery tender, nothing.
Back to top Go down
Afunaro

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks guys and New York I use premium
Back to top Go down
Evol

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:54 pm

You're supposed to use premium, but does it contain ethanol where you buy your fuel in NY?
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 am

I'm not far from you, been cold lately, no riding in the near future. I have an 08 and have stored it throughout the winters every year without any issues at all. All I do is fire it up every few weeks and let it run for 10 minutes or so, and I splash a bit of fresh 93 in the tank once a month or so. If the tank gets too full just siphon a bit out with a tube and add some fresh gas to keep it from sitting with old gas in it.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Also make sure to take off the seat and open up the airbox to take a look and check for mouse nests before you start it. I've had some really bad ones on more than one occasion.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:37 am

You may want to check the owners manual about pulling the battery out of the bike.

I have read some issues where battery voltage gets low on the WRR and it scrambles something in the instrument cluster. Probably best to leave the battery in the bike and hook up a battery tender to it.
Back to top Go down
Afunaro

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Hahahah mice nest thats crazy thanks for the replies
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:07 pm

rsteiger wrote:
You may want to check the owners manual about pulling the battery out of the bike.

I have read some issues where battery voltage gets low on the WRR and it scrambles something in the instrument cluster.  Probably best to leave the battery in the bike and hook up a battery tender to it.

That's my inclination also for fuel injected bikes.  Best to keep some voltage going to the ECU, clock, etc.  It might be completely unnecessary, but I'm just used to using a battery tender, even on my older carbureted bikes. You'd want a tender on the battery on your workbench anyway, especially over a long winter.  Why not just leave it in the bike?
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:23 pm

read your mouse problem link wristpin...  I would have blown a fuse and declared mice war ..once they piss on something it's like declaring a mouse hotel grand opening...
Back to top Go down
bigg

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 pm

regarding battery removal:

I don't have any power outlets in my garage and so am forced to take the battery out during the winter. Just follow the correct procedure (page 6-33) in the manual and there should be no problem regarding the speedo going crazy etc. I've done it several times already no problem.

Key in OFF position, disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Putting it back in, positive first, then the negative thumb
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:23 pm

bigg wrote:
regarding battery removal:

I don't have any power outlets in my garage and so am forced to take the battery out during the winter. Just follow the correct procedure (page 6-33) in the manual and there should be no problem regarding the speedo going crazy etc. I've done it several times already no problem.

Key in OFF position, disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Putting it back in, positive first, then the negative thumb

Good to know!

When all else fails, check the manual!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Break in period during winter   

Back to top Go down

Break in period during winter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1