Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:15 am

A little late to the party, but I'll chip in.

I'd truck or trailer, unless you love every minute you're on a bike and the surroundings, weather, etc simply don't matter.  There is a big difference between riding the world, taking in the view, stopping when you feel like it, etc, and pounding out 1600 miles to get from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible.  For a lot of people, that just takes any fun out of it.  I wouldn't worry about leaving your truck unattended once there - there are lots of safe places to leave a vehicle.  Mountain bikers and hikers also love Moab, and they have no option of whether they leave a vehicle behind or not.  I've never had a single problem with my vehicle in Utah, anywhere.

GPS units, once you start looking, are as unique as choosing a motorcycle.  For example, because I'm as likely to stop and head out on foot for a while, I like the Garmin Rino series with the built in weather and GMRS radios.  It's also nice that they slip in a shirt pocket.  Lately, on adventures, I've been using a 7" Samsung tablet that I slip into the map pocket of my tank bag.  Loaded DualSportMaps on it... awesome moving map display.  If I manage to destroy it in that location, I'll be having much greater problems than a broken tablet.  But the important thing is you select a GPS that suits your style and habits, not somebody elses.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:22 am

Jäger wrote:
A little late to the party, but I'll chip in.

I'd truck or trailer, unless you love every minute you're on a bike and the surroundings, weather, etc simply don't matter.  There is a big difference between riding the world, taking in the view, stopping when you feel like it, etc, and pounding out 1600 miles to get from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible.  For a lot of people, that just takes any fun out of it.  I wouldn't worry about leaving your truck unattended once there - there are lots of safe places to leave a vehicle.  Mountain bikers and hikers also love Moab, and they have no option of whether they leave a vehicle behind or not.  I've never had a single problem with my vehicle in Utah, anywhere.

GPS units, once you start looking, are as unique as choosing a motorcycle.  For example, because I'm as likely to stop and head out on foot for a while, I like the Garmin Rino series with the built in weather and GMRS radios.  It's also nice that they slip in a shirt pocket.  Lately, on adventures, I've been using a 7" Samsung tablet that I slip into the map pocket of my tank bag.  Loaded DualSportMaps on it... awesome moving map display.  If I manage to destroy it in that location, I'll be having much greater problems than a broken tablet.  But the important thing is you select a GPS that suits your style and habits, not somebody elses.

^^^+1000^^^
Back to top Go down
oldschoolsdime92




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:30 am

Hey , I'm from dayton also. Go to harbor freight and pick up a dirt cheap 4x8 trailer , toss some extra wheel bearings in a tool box and get heading to Moab. Trailering is s much better option imo , expessially this time of year.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 pm

UPDATE: At this point i'm 99% sure i'll be riding there, unless there is an awful storm system in my way and if so i'll pack it up on the truck, i'm giving myself three days to get there, five days in Moab and two days to get back. I've decided not to get a GPS thanks to all the apps everyone here and others have talked about and decided that will definitely suit my needs and save me some cash so thanks! thumb attached are two pictures of my bike and all the luggage i'll be carrying, minus the oem tool kit that is off the bike at the moment. only thing left to do is decide on tires that will work well for the entire trip, install the RAM mount for my phone, and buy an IMS 4.7 gallon tank. really appreciate everyone's input so far!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FNmtpU2FZdHZVZGM3c200Z3JfdHFZS2xrLWY0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FaHppSHVRSzBiRVlUUDNJUGFzbTJ1MWY5M1pF/view?usp=sharing
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 pm

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
I also downloaded an app called MyTrails and it seems to have a bunch of different features like TOPO map (not that I really know how to read a topo map)
I'm trying to learn how to use topo maps to my advantage, it'll take me a while haha

Jäger wrote:
A little late to the party, but I'll chip in.

I'd truck or trailer, unless you love every minute you're on a bike and the surroundings, weather, etc simply don't matter.  There is a big difference between riding the world, taking in the view, stopping when you feel like it, etc, and pounding out 1600 miles to get from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible.  For a lot of people, that just takes any fun out of it.  I wouldn't worry about leaving your truck unattended once there - there are lots of safe places to leave a vehicle.  Mountain bikers and hikers also love Moab, and they have no option of whether they leave a vehicle behind or not.  I've never had a single problem with my vehicle in Utah, anywhere.

GPS units, once you start looking, are as unique as choosing a motorcycle.  For example, because I'm as likely to stop and head out on foot for a while, I like the Garmin Rino series with the built in weather and GMRS radios.  It's also nice that they slip in a shirt pocket.  Lately, on adventures, I've been using a 7" Samsung tablet that I slip into the map pocket of my tank bag.  Loaded DualSportMaps on it... awesome moving map display.  If I manage to destroy it in that location, I'll be having much greater problems than a broken tablet.  But the important thing is you select a GPS that suits your style and habits, not somebody elses.
I've genuinely enjoyed every single minuet on my WR thus far which is why i'm deciding to ride out there, from pouring rain to crisp rides to work with temps in the teens I just love it. I just started doing some quick research on the Garmin Rino and i'm intrigued because it would also be a great hunting companion if I get two, how well does it do on road?

oldschoolsdime92 wrote:
Hey , I'm from dayton also. Go to harbor freight and pick up a dirt cheap 4x8 trailer , toss some extra wheel bearings in a tool box and get heading to Moab. Trailering is s much better option imo , expessially this time of year.
Buying another trailer wouldn't justify just hauling it out there on the pickup considering cost and luxury , my only other vehicle is a Honda civic
Back to top Go down
oldschoolsdime92




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:02 pm

only reason I suggested buying a trailer, is because I didn't realize you had a truck. I'd use that truck. I hate long rides, to get somewhere, to ride some more. I'd rather cruise in comfort there, enjoy the riding while I'm there, and comfortably cruise home. I can't tell you how many times I've trailered somewhere, rode for a few days, and drove home in tsunami like rain. Much more enjoyable in the truck. Again, this is all just my opinion. Everyone has their own thing. Trailering is mine. =) I've done 5-700 mile days on more touring oriented bikes and I just don't enjoy it. I can't imagine doing it on a WRR.
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Atta boy!!!
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:55 pm

oldschoolsdime92 wrote:
only reason I suggested buying a trailer, is because I didn't realize you had a truck. I'd use that truck. I hate long rides, to get somewhere, to ride some more. I'd rather cruise in comfort there, enjoy the riding while I'm there, and comfortably cruise home. I can't tell you how many times I've trailered somewhere, rode for a few days, and drove home in tsunami like rain. Much more enjoyable in the truck. Again, this is all just my opinion. Everyone has their own thing. Trailering is mine. =) I've done 5-700 mile days on more touring oriented bikes and I just don't enjoy it. I can't imagine doing it on a WRR.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions, i'll definitely keep a close eye on the weather before hand to make sure mother nature won't ruin the trip going there or coming back because besides the gear I wear and my U.S. 10 dry pack nothing else I have it totally waterproof, so the truck is still an option, either way though I know i'll make some amazing memories on this trip and it'll be a learning experience either way. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldschoolsdime92




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:48 pm

wrrOH wrote:
oldschoolsdime92 wrote:
only reason I suggested buying a trailer, is because I didn't realize you had a truck. I'd use that truck. I hate long rides, to get somewhere, to ride some more. I'd rather cruise in comfort there, enjoy the riding while I'm there, and comfortably cruise home. I can't tell you how many times I've trailered somewhere, rode for a few days, and drove home in tsunami like rain. Much more enjoyable in the truck. Again, this is all just my opinion. Everyone has their own thing. Trailering is mine. =) I've done 5-700 mile days on more touring oriented bikes and I just don't enjoy it. I can't imagine doing it on a WRR.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions, i'll definitely keep a close eye on the weather before hand to make sure mother nature won't ruin the trip going there or coming back because besides the gear I wear and my U.S. 10 dry pack nothing else I have it totally waterproof, so the truck is still an option, either way though I know i'll make some amazing memories on this trip and it'll be a learning experience either way. cheers  

You've sure got a positive enough attitude about it all, you'll be fine. When you return, we will have to meet up for a burger or something and maybe go for a ride. I'm from dayton as well.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:17 pm

oldschoolsdime92 wrote:


You've sure got a positive enough attitude about it all, you'll be fine. When you return, we will have to meet up for a burger or something and maybe go for a ride. I'm from dayton as well.

Sounds like a plan! kumbaya RAM mount just came in so i'll be installing that today and routing the charging wire for it.
Back to top Go down
wristpin




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 pm

I didn't read all through this thread, but one thing to seriously consider is a new seat. If your butt can handle o.k., my stock seat was only tolerable for 100 miles or so, but that's just me. I got a softer foam seat concepts one on and it doubled my comfort distance.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:24 pm

wristpin wrote:
I didn't read all through this thread, but one thing to seriously consider is a new seat.  If your butt can handle o.k., my stock seat was only tolerable for 100 miles or so, but that's just me.  I got a softer foam seat concepts one on and it doubled my comfort distance.
I'm still on the fence about the seat, i'll be doing a few other trips about 500 miles before then, i'll decide after that if i should get a better seat, thus far though I haven't had any issues with the factory seat, we shall see.
Back to top Go down
Hog86r




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:43 pm

check out sweet cheeks
http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks
it is seat cover that you insert plastic bottles on each side ( sorto saddlebag style, but same height as the seat)
makes the seat feel much wider and it works.
I made a po boy variation in a pinch. took two water bottles and taped them together with duct tape. the contraption (tape) held the bottles on the sides of the seat about the same height as the part of the seat where your arse goes.
virtually free and it works.
or if you have a flair for sewing, you could make one and be proud of it
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:07 am

Hog86r wrote:
check out sweet cheeks
http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks
it is seat cover that you insert plastic bottles on each side ( sorto saddlebag style, but same height as the seat)
makes the seat feel much wider and it works.
I made a po boy variation in a pinch. took two water bottles and taped them together with duct tape. the contraption (tape) held the bottles on the sides of the seat about the same height as the part of the seat where your arse goes.
virtually free and it works.
or if you have a flair for sewing, you could make one and be proud of it
Suspect That's one of the most bizarre moto related add ons I've seen but it's genius! bow I'd definitely look into getting that and use it for just that trip vs getting another seat! You have enlightened me, thank you!
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:46 am

i use one of THESE coleman seat covers on my klr it is a cheap improvement and makes long rides more comfy.i ended up ditching the quick connects as they rub on the bike plastics...  just tied off the attachement straps under the seat.
They are for some reason only available in the USA walmarts .


*i have no idea how the seat cover would fit the WR maybe someone on the forum has tried it??

here is what it looks like mounted up.... the front buckle was the one that i noticed rubbing heavily on the plastics... thats why i removed them...


HPIM3190 by freewillieklr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 am

rarepartbuilder wrote:
i use one of THESE coleman seat covers on my klr it is a cheap improvement and makes long rides more comfy.i ended up ditching the quick connects as they rub on the bike plastics...  just tied off the attachement straps under the seat.
They are for some reason only available in the USA walmarts .


*i have no idea how the seat cover would fit the WR maybe someone on the forum has tried it??

here is what it looks like mounted up.... the front buckle was the one that i noticed rubbing heavily on the plastics... thats why i removed them...


HPIM3190 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Looks like it may be a bit too wide for a WR seat but yeah, I wonder if anyone else has tried it scratch because it's only $19 at my local Walmart but it would have to be ordered. In other news though the weather finally broke and I was able to route a USB plug and charging wire behind the left side fairing up to the handlebar, I left the stock SAE connector that came with the bike alone and plan to use it to charge my camera gear during the trip.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: UPDATE   Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

****UPDATE****

Took the plunge and bought a natural tone IMS 4.7 gallon tank, instal went without a hitch, also put on a white acerbis sm fender, I think it makes the whole package easy on the eyes wink . Absolute minimum range observed and expected is 250 miles, best fuel economy observed was 283 miles on one tank.
Things that still need to be done include installing a new oem chain with slider, oil change, thorough cleaning of the bike, and a new set of Bridgestone Trailwings that I know will get me there and back. thumb   more to come...

PICS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FUjlzcnFNeFhCT0VfLXBkY0tDMDBnN1VqTlF3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FZnVXOE5yWHk0TUwtdFVZajdwcGxwelBNNlh3/view?usp=sharing
Back to top Go down
Vulture

avatar


PostSubject: "priorities"   Tue May 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Also very late to this party, but cool thread here, kind of ADVrider like, keep it coming!

One inmate commented: "Would it have been "easier" to haul the bike, of course, but I didn't buy it to haul it. I bought it to run the hell out of and being a working class hillbilly it is my only bike, my "everything bike"!"

That's it! You can haul bikes yet when you're 40+, have three kids and a wife getting that particular facial expression each time you just mention your bike. dddog That expression, more or less.

I assure you, there will never be lack of opportunity/excuses for bike hauling. Riding it intensively is a different story however. Those "other priorities" you mentioned yourself somewhere won't get less. So absolute right decision taken.

I have to get my WR back to Germany from Eastern Europe every two years just for the independent tech inspection mandatory to maintain my registration and insurance. A pure, otherwise useless utility trip actually. Could do it by trailer in one day, get the inspection next day and get back same day. As efficient as boring. Everybody in my family, but particularly the grandfather of my kids is whining "why don't you just trailer it?" Go trailer yourself!

So far I always managed to have a nice road tour up in late autumn, sometimes with temps close to freezing point, but thats just a question of gear, then store the bike at my parents place, have the inspection around Xmas when we're home anyway and have another nice tour back down to Austria or other location of service in best spring riding time. That, in recent years, is one of the rare occasions I get to ride more than 100 klicks in one single month.
So just take the opportunity while you can. Something will always happen on such distance, experience guaranteed.

Btw: I use sheep fur. The good thing with the WR is, you don't need breaks, as your butt will be dead regardless of how many breaks you take.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 pm

[quote="Vulture"]Also very late to this party, but cool thread here, kind of ADVrider like, keep it coming!

One inmate commented: "Would it have been "easier" to haul the bike, of course, but I didn't buy it to haul it. I bought it to run the hell out of and being a working class hillbilly it is my only bike, my "everything bike"!"

That's it! You can haul bikes yet when you're 40+, have three kids and a wife getting that particular facial expression each time you just mention your bike. dddog That expression, more or less.

I assure you, there will never be lack of opportunity/excuses for bike hauling. Riding it intensively is a different story however. Those "other priorities" you mentioned yourself somewhere won't get less. So absolute right decision taken.

I have to get my WR back to Germany from Eastern Europe every two years just for the independent tech inspection mandatory to maintain my registration and insurance. A pure, otherwise useless utility trip actually. Could do it by trailer in one day, get the inspection next day and get back same day. As efficient as boring. Everybody in my family, but particularly the grandfather of my kids is whining "why don't you just trailer it?" Go trailer yourself!

I don't think you could have said it any better, if it's something that matters to you and that you really enjoy, you'll find a way and if not, there's always an excuse. Sometimes I meet up with people not much older with than me on trails that are only 50 miles away and they ask me why didn't I just trailer it..  Suspect  They must have forgotten why dual sports exist  tough and I'm still in excellent health at 19 years old  haha but that inspection you have to deal with sounds like an unnecessary hassle that I don't envy at all, everything is care free where I live, just act civil in local towns.

Sheep fur is hard to come by here to say the least and its another first I've seen, is it really much more comfortable though? or do you use it more for the added warmth? Thank you for your input and inspiration
Back to top Go down
Vulture

avatar


PostSubject: sheep fur   Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 am

To be honest, I use because it's cheap and easily available for me. It will never ever compete with a professional modification of the WR seat I guess.
It does improve the seat on long distances mainly because you do not feel the seat edges so much when it's on. It's not recommended when going real hard trail riding as you sit/feel a bit loose on the bike. But it can be taken off and on easily. Also it adapts to your geometry with time, thereby improving rideability a bit. I strap it down with two straps, front one from the small auxilliary frame left side under the tank to the lug on the right side of the engine, rear one using the rear pegs. Stays in position better than I initially expected. So it went from improvisation to permanent solution as with many improvisations...

To make it work/meaningful you need a real thick one with long felted hair, not those cut and treated ones sold at IKEA as a baby mat. It has to stink yet to be really adventure proof. kumbaya
It can be used with hair side up or down. I prefer down. The effect of the edges suppression is stronger and remains longer, you slide easier forth and back and it's not been much of a problem in rain that way. But thats all more about personal preferences and experimentation I think.

It gets dirty with time and wears out (i.e. the effect of suppression of the seat edges fading), in final stadium the skin gets brittle and it gets holes. Thats the time for me to get a new one at the Vietnamese markets near the Czech-German border. They trade at about 20 EUR, I usually got them down to 18 EUR. In Germany they sell these furs on medieval events for what I saw 60-80 EUR, tourist rip off clearly. In general these furs are sold for the purposes of a) decoration and b) as pad/cushion for armchairs, terrace furniture etc., maybe you can find something along these lines in the US, no idea.
However, what I get from the market is a way to large fur, so I usually cut it in two halfs, keeping one half as spare. So I get along for about 1-3 years (depending on how much I get to ride) with a 9 EUR solution (10USDsomething now?). Then use up the second half. If I am in the mood I try to extend its life by creaming it with some leather cream/fat.

The best thing about it is the scared looks you get once you arrive back from your adventure trails to "civilized" areas such as restaurants. If you are slightly mucky and your face dust covered, the sheep fur completes the Mad Max appearance perfectly. Very happy
Back to top Go down
wrrOH




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sat May 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Vulture wrote:

To make it work/meaningful you need a real thick one with long felted hair, not those cut and treated ones sold at IKEA as a baby mat. It has to stink yet to be really adventure proof. kumbaya

Unfortunately that's all I've been able to find, cheap highly processed furs that are way overpriced, I found a nice vinyl cushion that resembles something you'd see on a boat, this will also double as a pillow if it doesn't get filthy  


The best thing about it is the scared looks you get once you arrive back from your adventure trails to "civilized" areas such as restaurants. If you are slightly mucky and your face dust covered, the sheep fur completes the Mad Max appearance perfectly. Very happy



Unfortunately that's all I've been able to find, stuff you'd find in IKEA, cheap highly processed furs that are way overpriced, I found a nice vinyl cushion that resembles something you'd see on a boat, this will also double as a pillow if it doesn't get filthy  

Seriously... bow Probably the absolute best reason to have one of those in my area, haven't seen anything like that since your post and i'd love to see their reactions lurk

This will be my last post most likely until I get back from Moab unless I encounter some serious downtime, Bike has 7,500 miles and I decided it was the perfect time to switch over to synthetic, I went with Yamalube 15-50, also among the 5 hours I spent prepping the bike I put on a new oem chain (winter killed the old one), greased swing arm joints/ bearings since it was already off, put on a new chain slider that was almost worn all the way on the bottom new tires, and got a new no toil air filter... After all this I started her up and noticed she was abnormally loud, so I figured I didnt seat the air filter right, I checked and it was and then I found this...  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FdDlaTW5kY0I5X29zaHNVbjFKLVFxVkdZYUE4/view?usp=sharing

The weld snapped clean off, I noticed my bike was a tad louder last time I rode which was in the poring rain but I didn't think anything of it, My exhaust system has no damage anywhere else so hopefully it will be covered under warranty when I get back, I caught this two days ago so going in for repairs this late wasnt an option, so I made a temporary fix with some exhaust wrap.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FZXppR0ZRY3lnVmJLRUVkWTltZnRsc1hYNUZN/view?usp=sharing.

Anyway wish me luck! I'll make a new thread in the ride report section here when I get back and possibly post on ADVrider if I have time, till then I'll be posting from my phone on Instagram and Snapchat as erik77ss
Back to top Go down
grw800

avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Sun May 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Have a great trip! Good for you to do what you want and ignore the naysayers and trailer advocates. Trailers are for boats!
Be safe, have fun and keep us posted on your adventure.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 pm

So how was the trip? Your butt still recovering?
Back to top Go down
zestymac

avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Bueller, Bueller!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

avatar


PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:30 am

Maybe he didn't go?
Maybe he's still there?
Maybe he's stuck under a boulder and sawing his arm off as we type?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    

Back to top Go down
 
1600 mile trip to Moab Utah
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» My X in Moab, UT
» Moab, Utah UTV Rally Poll
» 2011 Outerbike - Bike Demo Event at Moab, Utah
» Return from near 4,000 mile trip
» MOAB UTAH 2014 ROTR

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: