Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

1600 mile trip to Moab Utah

Go down 
+13
Hog86r
wristpin
oldschoolsdime92
Gruvey12
Jäger
dogfarm
WolfpackFBNS
GusinCA
edteamslr
morgan9283
GlibGuy
Moto57
zestymac
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wrrOH

1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 am

rarepartbuilder wrote:
i use one of THESE coleman seat covers on my klr it is a cheap improvement and makes long rides more comfy.i ended up ditching the quick connects as they rub on the bike plastics...  just tied off the attachement straps under the seat.
They are for some reason only available in the USA walmarts .

*i have no idea how the seat cover would fit the WR maybe someone on the forum has tried it??

here is what it looks like mounted up.... the front buckle was the one that i noticed rubbing heavily on the plastics... thats why i removed them...

1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 15968505911_6e0fb2f9c0_c
HPIM3190 by freewillieklr, on Flickr

Looks like it may be a bit too wide for a WR seat but yeah, I wonder if anyone else has tried it scratch because it's only $19 at my local Walmart but it would have to be ordered. In other news though the weather finally broke and I was able to route a USB plug and charging wire behind the left side fairing up to the handlebar, I left the stock SAE connector that came with the bike alone and plan to use it to charge my camera gear during the trip.
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

PostSubject: UPDATE   1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

****UPDATE****

Took the plunge and bought a natural tone IMS 4.7 gallon tank, instal went without a hitch, also put on a white acerbis sm fender, I think it makes the whole package easy on the eyes wink . Absolute minimum range observed and expected is 250 miles, best fuel economy observed was 283 miles on one tank.
Things that still need to be done include installing a new oem chain with slider, oil change, thorough cleaning of the bike, and a new set of Bridgestone Trailwings that I know will get me there and back. thumb   more to come...

PICS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FUjlzcnFNeFhCT0VfLXBkY0tDMDBnN1VqTlF3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FZnVXOE5yWHk0TUwtdFVZajdwcGxwelBNNlh3/view?usp=sharing
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: "priorities"   1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Also very late to this party, but cool thread here, kind of ADVrider like, keep it coming!

One inmate commented: "Would it have been "easier" to haul the bike, of course, but I didn't buy it to haul it. I bought it to run the hell out of and being a working class hillbilly it is my only bike, my "everything bike"!"

That's it! You can haul bikes yet when you're 40+, have three kids and a wife getting that particular facial expression each time you just mention your bike. dddog That expression, more or less.

I assure you, there will never be lack of opportunity/excuses for bike hauling. Riding it intensively is a different story however. Those "other priorities" you mentioned yourself somewhere won't get less. So absolute right decision taken.

I have to get my WR back to Germany from Eastern Europe every two years just for the independent tech inspection mandatory to maintain my registration and insurance. A pure, otherwise useless utility trip actually. Could do it by trailer in one day, get the inspection next day and get back same day. As efficient as boring. Everybody in my family, but particularly the grandfather of my kids is whining "why don't you just trailer it?" Go trailer yourself!

So far I always managed to have a nice road tour up in late autumn, sometimes with temps close to freezing point, but thats just a question of gear, then store the bike at my parents place, have the inspection around Xmas when we're home anyway and have another nice tour back down to Austria or other location of service in best spring riding time. That, in recent years, is one of the rare occasions I get to ride more than 100 klicks in one single month.
So just take the opportunity while you can. Something will always happen on such distance, experience guaranteed.

Btw: I use sheep fur. The good thing with the WR is, you don't need breaks, as your butt will be dead regardless of how many breaks you take.
1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 Img00010
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 12:17 pm

[quote="Vulture"]Also very late to this party, but cool thread here, kind of ADVrider like, keep it coming!

One inmate commented: "Would it have been "easier" to haul the bike, of course, but I didn't buy it to haul it. I bought it to run the hell out of and being a working class hillbilly it is my only bike, my "everything bike"!"

That's it! You can haul bikes yet when you're 40+, have three kids and a wife getting that particular facial expression each time you just mention your bike. dddog That expression, more or less.

I assure you, there will never be lack of opportunity/excuses for bike hauling. Riding it intensively is a different story however. Those "other priorities" you mentioned yourself somewhere won't get less. So absolute right decision taken.

I have to get my WR back to Germany from Eastern Europe every two years just for the independent tech inspection mandatory to maintain my registration and insurance. A pure, otherwise useless utility trip actually. Could do it by trailer in one day, get the inspection next day and get back same day. As efficient as boring. Everybody in my family, but particularly the grandfather of my kids is whining "why don't you just trailer it?" Go trailer yourself!

I don't think you could have said it any better, if it's something that matters to you and that you really enjoy, you'll find a way and if not, there's always an excuse. Sometimes I meet up with people not much older with than me on trails that are only 50 miles away and they ask me why didn't I just trailer it..  Suspect  They must have forgotten why dual sports exist  tough and I'm still in excellent health at 19 years old  haha but that inspection you have to deal with sounds like an unnecessary hassle that I don't envy at all, everything is care free where I live, just act civil in local towns.

Sheep fur is hard to come by here to say the least and its another first I've seen, is it really much more comfortable though? or do you use it more for the added warmth? Thank you for your input and inspiration
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: sheep fur   1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 18, 2015 10:29 am

To be honest, I use because it's cheap and easily available for me. It will never ever compete with a professional modification of the WR seat I guess.
It does improve the seat on long distances mainly because you do not feel the seat edges so much when it's on. It's not recommended when going real hard trail riding as you sit/feel a bit loose on the bike. But it can be taken off and on easily. Also it adapts to your geometry with time, thereby improving rideability a bit. I strap it down with two straps, front one from the small auxilliary frame left side under the tank to the lug on the right side of the engine, rear one using the rear pegs. Stays in position better than I initially expected. So it went from improvisation to permanent solution as with many improvisations...

To make it work/meaningful you need a real thick one with long felted hair, not those cut and treated ones sold at IKEA as a baby mat. It has to stink yet to be really adventure proof. kumbaya
It can be used with hair side up or down. I prefer down. The effect of the edges suppression is stronger and remains longer, you slide easier forth and back and it's not been much of a problem in rain that way. But thats all more about personal preferences and experimentation I think.

It gets dirty with time and wears out (i.e. the effect of suppression of the seat edges fading), in final stadium the skin gets brittle and it gets holes. Thats the time for me to get a new one at the Vietnamese markets near the Czech-German border. They trade at about 20 EUR, I usually got them down to 18 EUR. In Germany they sell these furs on medieval events for what I saw 60-80 EUR, tourist rip off clearly. In general these furs are sold for the purposes of a) decoration and b) as pad/cushion for armchairs, terrace furniture etc., maybe you can find something along these lines in the US, no idea.
However, what I get from the market is a way to large fur, so I usually cut it in two halfs, keeping one half as spare. So I get along for about 1-3 years (depending on how much I get to ride) with a 9 EUR solution (10USDsomething now?). Then use up the second half. If I am in the mood I try to extend its life by creaming it with some leather cream/fat.

The best thing about it is the scared looks you get once you arrive back from your adventure trails to "civilized" areas such as restaurants. If you are slightly mucky and your face dust covered, the sheep fur completes the Mad Max appearance perfectly. Very happy
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptySat May 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Vulture wrote:

To make it work/meaningful you need a real thick one with long felted hair, not those cut and treated ones sold at IKEA as a baby mat. It has to stink yet to be really adventure proof. kumbaya

Unfortunately that's all I've been able to find, cheap highly processed furs that are way overpriced, I found a nice vinyl cushion that resembles something you'd see on a boat, this will also double as a pillow if it doesn't get filthy  

The best thing about it is the scared looks you get once you arrive back from your adventure trails to "civilized" areas such as restaurants. If you are slightly mucky and your face dust covered, the sheep fur completes the Mad Max appearance perfectly. Very happy

Unfortunately that's all I've been able to find, stuff you'd find in IKEA, cheap highly processed furs that are way overpriced, I found a nice vinyl cushion that resembles something you'd see on a boat, this will also double as a pillow if it doesn't get filthy  

Seriously... bow Probably the absolute best reason to have one of those in my area, haven't seen anything like that since your post and i'd love to see their reactions lurk

This will be my last post most likely until I get back from Moab unless I encounter some serious downtime, Bike has 7,500 miles and I decided it was the perfect time to switch over to synthetic, I went with Yamalube 15-50, also among the 5 hours I spent prepping the bike I put on a new oem chain (winter killed the old one), greased swing arm joints/ bearings since it was already off, put on a new chain slider that was almost worn all the way on the bottom new tires, and got a new no toil air filter... After all this I started her up and noticed she was abnormally loud, so I figured I didnt seat the air filter right, I checked and it was and then I found this...  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FdDlaTW5kY0I5X29zaHNVbjFKLVFxVkdZYUE4/view?usp=sharing

The weld snapped clean off, I noticed my bike was a tad louder last time I rode which was in the poring rain but I didn't think anything of it, My exhaust system has no damage anywhere else so hopefully it will be covered under warranty when I get back, I caught this two days ago so going in for repairs this late wasnt an option, so I made a temporary fix with some exhaust wrap.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lbURF2119FZXppR0ZRY3lnVmJLRUVkWTltZnRsc1hYNUZN/view?usp=sharing.

Anyway wish me luck! I'll make a new thread in the ride report section here when I get back and possibly post on ADVrider if I have time, till then I'll be posting from my phone on Instagram and Snapchat as erik77ss
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptySun May 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Have a great trip! Good for you to do what you want and ignore the naysayers and trailer advocates. Trailers are for boats!
Be safe, have fun and keep us posted on your adventure.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 pm

So how was the trip? Your butt still recovering?
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Bueller, Bueller!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 11:30 am

Maybe he didn't go?
Maybe he's still there?
Maybe he's stuck under a boulder and sawing his arm off as we type?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1600 mile trip to Moab Utah    1600 mile trip to Moab Utah  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

1600 mile trip to Moab Utah
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2