Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How important is a skid plate for an X

Go down 
+2
hjorth73
softjeans
6 posters
AuthorMessage
softjeans

softjeans

How important is a skid plate for an X Empty
PostSubject: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 2:44 pm

So I've just bought this sexy beast and I'm just wondering if i should get a skid plate for it. Ill pretty much always be on roads but I might go down some dirt tracks if I feel like it. Is it necessary?

How important is a skid plate for an X Media?id=d20d5ba86fc71dec2cbeec4307aae201&width=1024&height=680

Last edited by softjeans on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hjorth73

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 3:02 pm

I made one myself, I can see it is a good thing because of all the sandblasting there is on it now :-)
How important is a skid plate for an X Bashpl10
This is from when it was made.
Back to top Go down
hjorth73

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 3:12 pm

This is after only 200km dry road driving.
How important is a skid plate for an X Img_1914
Back to top Go down
softjeans

softjeans

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Right ok cheers ill look into it. Whats yours made from?
Back to top Go down
hjorth73

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

I made it out of 5mm aluminiumplate, and glued 2mm rubber on the inside.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 8:39 am

Risk vs reward, plus added noise.

I've got well over 10,000 miles on my X and never had a skid plate.
I've run some gravel and dirt roads plenty of times.

Was I pushing my luck, or not???? I don't know. scratch

I think street tires are much less prone to grabbing onto rocks and then throwing them.

My two cents - no guarantees or warranties associated with it. Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 4:33 pm

I have heard lots of rocks hitting mine on the road with my R tires. Never considered the sand. I also like the looks of a nice skid plate. hjorth73 - Nice job on that skid. Looks very nice. After looking at that nice pic you took again, I think your bike would look nice with a black skid plate on it. You will get some more noise though.

Last edited by mcdoudlehopper on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add more.)
Back to top Go down
softjeans

softjeans

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 5:19 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
I have heard lots of rocks hitting mine on the road with my R tires. Never considered the sand. I also like the looks of a nice skid plate. hjorth73 - Nice job on that skid. Looks very nice. After looking at that nice pic you took again, I think your bike would look nice with a black skid plate on it. You will get some more noise though.

Yeah I do have to agree with you there, black does look good. Why will there be more noise? surly if its attached probably it won't vibrate that much?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Noticeable louder with the skid plate. The engine noise reflects back up at you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Just fixed the noise issue on mine today.   It's the unsupported rear of the plate vibrating against the rear of the frame and a couple of the welds that stick down.   Put foam under the contact points at the back of the plate, put two thin rubber spacers between the frame and front mounting points, problem solved.   Back to being a quiet bike again.  

If I was going to run it on the street, I'd used the HDPE plastic.   That stuff works great offroad as well on a supported surface like under a floor pan of a side by side.   It will slide over rocks and not catch.   However, I'm dubious about it not collapsing if it's not being supported by a plate or bars behind it and hitting rocks.  For the street, I think that stuff is probably a fantastic option on a bike.

Update. Put 100 miles on the bike today. It's not perfectly silent, but it's almost there. Noise at cruise is nearly gone. Much less worrisome to ride long distances on. The helmet wind noise at 60-65 drowns any tire, engine or reflected noise now.

Last edited by Traveller on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 6:39 pm

I like having one on mine...

How important is a skid plate for an X CIMG1220
Back to top Go down
KiLLeRrKeN

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 7:11 pm

With all those comments I think I will be ordering one soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is a skid plate for an X   How important is a skid plate for an X Empty

Back to top Go down

How important is a skid plate for an X
Page 1 of 1