Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Customizing my WRR

Go down 
+9
mcdoudlehopper
N8
rsteiger
Atomist
blusmoke
Evol
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
YZEtc
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
blusmoke

Customizing my WRR - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Hey traveller, nice work on the new end cap, I really like how it makes your exhaust look! Did you have to make a new flange or did you reuse the existing one? Did you put the spark arrestor screen back over it?

I actually cut open my exhaust not too long ago for exploration purposes, before I had my new phone sorry I don't have any pics of the procedure. Our american mufflers differ a bit from the JDM ones. Mine at least did not have that Huge ceramic cat convertor pictured in the cross section, instead it had a small metallic one about a third of the size. I believe rstieger could confirm this as he mentioned removing his.

I decided to leave mine intact just incase it aids in exhaust velocity and instead remove the "baffles". There is really not a lot going on in there and is relatively "high flow", it's essentially only a 2 chamber muffler. there is a half plate positioned just after the cat the exhaust must go around before reaching the plate with the perforated tube that is visible with end cap removed. Since i cut my exhaust open at the seam just aft the cat I was easily able to take a hole saw bit and remove most of the half plate, and then remove the perforated tube from the second plate, this produces a straight thru shot from the cat. Without the perforated tube the end cap diameter is the only real restriction.

The noise output has slightly increased and sounds much deeper. Though nobody has complained yet, in fact three of my coworkers genuinely seemed puzzled when I asked if my bike is loud. I am currently running a map for a leo vince w/spark arrestor which is a non repack-able/baffled performance exhaust. The bike is responding really well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 am

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Atomist

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 4:30 am

Traveller wrote:
Some more road miles this week, more dirt miles this weekend.   Lower pressures offroad helps, and so did aligning the rear axle as straight as I could get it.   I think I'm going to throw the Yamaha axle blocks in a box somewhere and order a better set.   Measured the tire side to side in the swingarm and the blocks aren't lining up identically even though the bike rolls down the road better.   Less movement on the freeway and in the dirt both.  Really liking the Screens for Bikes shield for rolling 65+ on the slab.   Takes the stress off my arms from the air trying to blow me off the bike.   MUCH more pleasant on the slab without getting in the way offroad.  No issues with the Dobeck this morning running 71-72MPH.   It stayed in my lean cruise mode over 70, and still went to WOT mode if I opened the throttle all the way.   Looks like 12.2 on the red/blue switch point is the magic number on the gauge to get it to work that way on the slab.   I run the red/blue down to 11.4 for the dirt, and run the yellow zone AFR down to 13.4.   Still need to put a block off plate in the air injection.   Just going to make one this weekend.  

I enjoy this bike each and every time I ride it.   Would I like it to weigh 30 lbs less?   Of course, but for what it is, it's brilliant.  A little more power, a little less weight, pretty much the mantra for any car, truck, bike, aircraft or boat I've ever owned...

I'm curious to know if you have any experience with a Power Commander V with or without auto tune and if so, how you think it compares to the Dobeck AFR+? I use to own a WR250R and had a PCV with auto tune, sold the bike and regretted it and picked up a WR250X for a good price. I am about to make some purchases and can't make up my mind. Spend a little more and go with what I know, better features or try the Dobeck. I like the idea that I can control the AFR so easily with the Dobeck. And if I have to be honest, after having the PCV, I spent way too much time messing with fuel tables and it honestly kinda took away from me just riding. I guess that's a bit of a personal problem :P but there's so many settings for such a small and simple bike, I'm not sure I need that level of control.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:24 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 7:48 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 am

I just mounted up a set of TR8's on my 'street' wheels for my WRR. I was running Shinko 705's which were fine around town but with my riding buddies I really needed something with a little more off pavement performance whenever we are out riding and decide to hit a bunch of muddy dirt roads.

I had thought about going with the Shinko 244's but saw the TR8's and figured I would give them a shot. So far I have about 500 miles on them and they seem to be working well. Good grip on the pavement and decent off pavement. I don't think the rear will last as long as I hoped it would (~3000 miles). Once that goes then I probably will mount up a Shinko 244 on the rear.

If I know I will be riding trails for the weekend then I put on my 'dirt' set of wheels with a Pirelli XCMS front and a XCMH rear. Both are DOT approved and seem to do everything pretty well except they are allergic to pavement miles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 10:52 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm

How are you coming along with the Lexx? I've thought of trying to modify one for our bikes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 am

HaHaHa LOL your name is traveller and your moving. poser2 Sorry no pun intended or was your name intentional. Know your busy but stay in touch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Traveller wrote:
Screen name has been around for 20 years or so.   Started using it some time around 1995 when we were trucking (10 years as owner ops).   My wife and I also like to explore, so we're off on several hour road trips on the weekends as well as exploring all over the local area with the Jeep and dirt machines.   I've probably driven around 2 million miles or so if you add up all the trucking, motorcycle and car mileage.

Once we get settled in, and I can figure out financing, I'm thinking I may need another bike.   Fell in love with a Beta 430 RS down at the Beta dealer here in Boise.   What a NEAT machine.   More dirt oriented, which of course means I need to do the big bore on the WR and keep both... :)  They can be ordered farkled any way you want them just about, which means I'd just order the suspension I wanted and not have to valve/spring them.   244 dry weight, 50HP.   Yeah, I'm thinking about it...

Good news is, all my birthday present parts showed up at the house today, a day early.   My wife says it's all here, so I think I'll start installing this evening.   Whee!   New parts!  

A few years ago I picked up a Beta 520 RR demo bike from a dealer. The bike is a blast to ride and I still have my WRR as well.

The thing is at one point I found myself trying to make the Beta into a DS mule like my WR250R. I was not happy with the results and realized if I am going out on a 1000 mile DS ride and camping along the way that I am generally much happier on the WRR. But if I am going to head out to a campground over the weekend and do some exploring well then I don't need to carry all the crap on the Beta that I was trying to carry before.

So now the Beta is my basecamp play bike and the WRR is my long distance DS ride.
Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

rsteiger wrote:
Traveller wrote:
The thing is at one point I found myself trying to make the Beta into a DS mule like my WR250R.  I was not happy with the results and realized if I am going out on a 1000 mile DS ride and camping along the way that I am generally much happier on the WRR.  But if I am going to head out to a campground over the weekend and do some exploring well then I don't need to carry all the crap on the Beta that I was trying to carry before.

So now the Beta is my basecamp play bike and the WRR is my long distance DS ride.

I just recently DS my 450EXC and have reach the same conclusion.  Anything under a 2K mile round trip I'll be taking the KTM; anything over 2K the WRR gets to go.  Right now I'm limited to two weeks at a time.  I'm hoping that retirement will change that next year. wings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 1:23 pm

I just read read this great thread from the beginning. I couldn't agree more with your before/after comments about the suspension! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Customizing my WRR
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: