Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Helmets

Go down 
+17
macfast
skierd
shawngrodz
longtallsally
inspector
Fargo_Wolf
desertblue
Highfive
WeaveR
Bob
asheville thumper
Machtig
Buzzbomber
Nice Rumble
SheWolf
mr_mcbride
boogn1sh
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Helmets   Helmets EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 pm

Been needing a new helmet for dual sport use and have been liking the looks of the Arai XD-3 and Shoei equivalent. Just wondering about the face sheild, how it works, thoughts etc. It looks like HF might be using the Shoei.
I prefer the dirt helmet look, but don't wanna wear googles everywhere I go.... Or do I?
Back to top Go down
mr_mcbride

mr_mcbride

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 2:44 pm

WebBikeWorld has a few reviews. Scroll down to the section labeled Enduro Helmet Reviews:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/Products.htm
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 8:03 pm

I found the Shoei didn't fit my cheeks well. The Arai was tight in the head. I had an HJC that ft nice, but I couldn't find another one I liked. I ended up with a Fox V2 Pilot which fits incredibly well. thumb

Nice Rumble

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:38 pm

You'll want to keep a pair of goggles in your tank bag when using the Ariai XD or equivalent. When leading a ride you'll be fine but if following another rider or riders you'll get lots of dust in your eyes. The nice thing is you can flip up the visor and use the goggles.
Back to top Go down
Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 am

I was really excited to hear about the new AFX FX37 D/S helmet since I had to pretty much scrape up every penny just to buy the new WR. It seems to be getting fairly mixed reviews over on ADVrider, with most complaints related to shield distortion. I'm going to try one on as soon as I see one locally and make a decision from there. I'd love to go for an XD3 or Hornet, but it's a lot of money if I find out that I have fitment issues, and nobody stocks them around here... GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
mr_mcbride

mr_mcbride

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Here is a detailed review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/afx-helmets/afx-fx-37/

I have come to trust these guys. They usually nail it perfectly when they review products, at least IMHO.

Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Machtig

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm

I have the Shoei Hornet DS and it is the poop.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 am

Just purchased a new 2009 XD3 off Ebay for $338. They have a lot of "best offer" deals right now and they seem to making sweet deals on the solid colors....the ones with graphics I could not find for any less than $475.

The helmet could not be any more comfortable but it is the loudest helmet I have ever put on my head. I'm going to invest in a box of earplugs!!
Back to top Go down
Bob

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm

i liked the Shoei the best, but i have to move up a size due to my normal size being hella tight. i'll wait a bit for a good deal before i get one. i have 2 HJC's now and owned one before. i can honestly say i'll never buy another one with so many other helmets out there in that price range. it seems like i can only get about a year out of them before they get uncomfortable.
i like that Fox helmet, but its pure dirt. dirt helmet on the street = midevil torture.
Back to top Go down
WeaveR

WeaveR

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:17 pm

I looked at those XD3's and was getting the $338 best offer..... but I have a Shoei head and opted for a Hornet DS for $347.75 (using the coupon code and shipped free) from http://www.helmetshop.com/ViewCart.jsp?action=view&cpmessage=coupon%20found

If it's anything like my RF1000, I'll be happy.

I have an Arai Classic 3/4 helmet and that is a very loud helmet also.

I wear ear plugs on extended rides with any helmet
Back to top Go down
Highfive

Highfive

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 pm

I LOVE my Shoei Hornet. This is most comfortable & quietest full-face helmet I've ever worn. I'm not even wearing my Shoei RF1000 on street rides anymore. Just my Hornet. The ventilation adjustments are excellent and incrementally controllable. The face-shield seals very well. I thought I would have a dust problem on the trail and need goggles. But so far, I haven't. That's the biggest surprise. I don't even pack the goggles anymore. Sure, I get a little dust at times, but not very much. Remember, I'm not motocross racing or enduro racing with 20 other riders in front of me. Well actually, they'd be behind me, but I digress...

Its WAY quieter then the Arai XD (IMO). Fits me better too. Its "all day comfort" for me. First, I bought my regulare size (M). It was just too tight! I took it back and they swapped me for a Large. Perfecto! So, I'm wearing the Hornet in one size larger than normal....for whatever that's worth.

I am disappointed that the face shield is not some kind of quick release (neither is the XD). Its a bit more cumbersome to remove, requiring a screwdriver and some brain power. But I guess that's the price to pay for superior shield fit....reducing wind noise and dust. It is cool that its convertible. I can take the visor off, add the two side wing covers (included) and use it like a street helmet (for the LONG ride to camp). And, of course, remove the shield and use goggles like an MX helmet. I could squeeze goggles on with the shield raised, but its a bit tight. I'd prefer to remove the shield in that instance.

The visor does a good job too. Its shorter than an MX helmet, for sure. But lets the wind zip right through. There is some helmet pull back in the wind when I lift my head....yes. But nothing like happens when wearing an MX helmet. They did a good job on this design.

This helmet also came with one of those chin/neck guards that snaps into the bottom of the chin piece. I guess you'd call it a chin/neck curtain. First one I've had that actually really WORKS! Nuff said.

I bought mine at Cycle Gear. They had to order it in....but it arrived in about 3 days. Got a whale of a deal during one of their big sales. Only paid about $345 for it, with the sale + discount coupon from catalog + $25 off coupon I had been saving. The Mgr just shook his head...

HF thumb
Back to top Go down
desertblue

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Worth it?   Helmets EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:48 am

I've been intrigued by the Arai and Shoei DS helmets since they came out, but am really turned off by the price. Come on, these helmets shouldn't be this expensive. That being said, why not just wear a dirt helmet with goggles if you're doing alot of off-road work? I've purchased high quality DOT and SNELL appproved dirt helmets (Bell, HJC, Scorpion) for a little over $100. Combined with a pair of high quality Oakley goggles you'll be paying far less than what you would for one of the high priced DS helmets. Yes, the off road helmets are noisy and provide a little less wide angle viewing, but I can buy 2 very good quality helmets (1 street and 1 dirt) and have money left over for what the Arai or Shoei cost.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySat May 09, 2009 9:20 am

I wear a Fox V2 Pilot and LOVE it. I don't even bother with my street lid anymore! I have a pair of Scott Xi Turbo goggles that I switch lenses in; a dual layer transition lens for cold/wintery stuff and then the single chrome lens for all the other, and fogging up isn't an issue. I don't find the wind noise any worse than the street lid, to be honest...then again I have headphones in there that help a bit. Very happy

Fargo_Wolf

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySat May 09, 2009 9:32 am

Here's a question on the goggle part: I wear glasses. How will this affect wearing goggles?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySat May 09, 2009 10:12 am

I'd go with a helmet that comes with a flip down visor. That way you can wear your glasses and not have them get squished by the goggles. You should be able to find a decently priced one.

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: glasses and goggles   Helmets EmptySat May 09, 2009 11:47 pm

Both Scotts and Oakley make goggles specifically to be worn over glasses. I prefer to wear my contacts when riding, but I know a top Baja racer who wears glasses all the time. Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:03 am

Yeah I guess you could go with the setup I have with the Quik Strap. They don't press down much on my face so you could maybe get away with that.

inspector

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyThu May 21, 2009 11:30 am

Getting real close to ordering a new lid. Would prefer not to have to try on a bunch in the store then order it online. Wear an Arai Quantum for the street (I think in large, need to check). Looking at the RockGarden lids. Anyone have any feedback on sizing?

***IT'S A GOOOOOOO! The wife approved the purchase. gimmy info
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 3:02 am

Arai is the only type of lid that goes on my melon. I run the XD on the pig and the WR and the RX8 Corsair on the track. Shoei makes a good product as well, but last time I checked, their helmets don't fit my head.

And yes, the XD is the loudest helmet I've ever owned. I also do not ride without ear protection- ever, unless on the trails at low speeds. Most of the time I use the iPod with Etymotic ER6i noise canceling headphones.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 am

Got my helmet in a couple of days ago. Googles should arrive today!! Of course I don't get to try them out until next weekend. dddog
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Ordered the XD-3, really liked the graphics, but it just does not fit right. Believe me. . . .I tried to justify keeping the lid but knowing comfort is paramount, I sadly had to return it. I have a Shoei Hornet coming my way (tried it on at the stealership and fit like a glove) But unfortunately, the helmet really only comes in solid colors. I have the matte black coming, my question is does anyone know a good place to get some stickers/graphics for my new lid? I'm not a "sticker freak" but I do feel the solid color is a bit boring. Also looking for some cool stickers "Yama" for the bike. . . . .any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am

shawngrodz wrote:
Ordered the XD-3, really liked the graphics, but it just does not fit right. Believe me. . . .I tried to justify keeping the lid but knowing comfort is paramount, I sadly had to return it. I have a Shoei Hornet coming my way (tried it on at the stealership and fit like a glove) But unfortunately, the helmet really only comes in solid colors. I have the matte black coming, my question is does anyone know a good place to get some stickers/graphics for my new lid? I'm not a "sticker freak" but I do feel the solid color is a bit boring. Also looking for some cool stickers "Yama" for the bike. . . . .any suggestions??

That is the one thing about Arai's; they either fit your head or they don't. Usually Shoei and Arai heads are very different and cannot wear the same helmets.

In terms of graphics, there is some dude same Troy Lee... wink
Back to top Go down
skierd

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:47 pm

I went with two helmets, an HJC CL-X5N for dirt/summer and a CL-SP for street/winter. With as much as I'm gonna fall off-road getting my skills up to par I didn't want to trash a $400 DS helmet, though I did find that the Hornet fit me about perfectly... fortunately so do the HJCs lol.
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:49 am

When it gets hot I compromise and use a full face Giro Remedy Carbon Fiber Down Hill Helmet, well vented & just over 2lb.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm

I have Arai (Quantum/Fs and VX-Pro), Shoei RF-1Ks and a THOR SVR. All seem to fit well. I must have an average head. Helmets Icon_rolleyes

I tried the Shoei, XD3 and TLD SuMo helmets and the Arai was the only one that seemed to fit for me.

The question is: Where do I get one with the least wallet evacuation !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets Empty

Back to top Go down

Helmets
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next