Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WR250XGUY

Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included Empty
PostSubject: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Here's a video of the knocking noise: https://youtu.be/J4-hvTmX0HM

So I recently started hearing this knocking noise at low speed. I could also feel it in my footpegs. At first I thought it was a spoke issue, but none of the spokes are loose. I got the bike on a stand and rotated the wheel in neutral and it was still knocking, which makes me think it's not the spokes since there is no weight on them. The chain is at proper tension and the axle blocks are even on both sides and there is no side to side play on the rear wheel.

Could it be that the spokes are too tight? Is it a broken bearing? Something else?

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 pm

I would take the rear wheel off, check the bearings, check the brake caliper and pads, check the rotor, chain tension bolts and blocks, and put it back on with the axle properly positioned with the blocks and nut properly torqued and see what that brings.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Thinking about it a little more, I would take the chain off, and spin it, see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Watch the chain at the front sprocket while spinning the wheel, it sounds like a badly kinked link or link missing the roller to me.

If its the chain you should see the bad link jump/bind while it goes around the front sprocket.
Back to top Go down
WR250XGUY

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 am

I will try that and report back...
Back to top Go down
Old Blue

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 12:45 pm

What Biglake said.
The chain will kink as it goes around the front sprocket and stays kinked til it goes around the back sprocket. It unkinks when the front sprocket "pulls" the chain off the back sprocket under power causing a click or knock that you can feel in the pegs. Happened to me on an older bike, just cleaned and lubed the chain and all was good.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:20 am

Another vote for chain. My SV used to do that when the links get tight and the chain needed replacing. My WRx just started doing it too. You can feel it in the pegs. Time to start saving for a new chain.
Back to top Go down
WR250XGUY

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been abroad for the last week so I did not get to look at the bike until today. I put the bike on the stand and cleaned then oiled the chain. This did not seem to help with the noise. Its a fairly new chain with less than 500 miles on it. I inspected the chain at the countershaft sprocket and did not notice any kinks or issues while going around the sprocket.

The noise appeared to come from rear wheel so I loosed the axle nut and spun the wheel and the sound went away. I retorqued to nut to spec (90 foot lbs) and the noise returned. I removed the rear wheel and inspected the bearings. They looked normal and didnt have any play but when I held the axle with my hands and spun the weel it seemed exhibit lighter version of the clicking I heard.

At this point I believe its the bearings but not certian. Im going to order another set just to rule them out. Any thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included   Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! Knocking noise coming from rear wheel - video included
Page 1 of 1