Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best trail tire pump?

Go down 
+3
waltermitty
rsteiger
Phillyride
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Phillyride

Phillyride

Best trail tire pump? Empty
PostSubject: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 3:43 pm

What's up everyone? I'm looking to get a tire pump/ hopefully I never have to use it but as you know have to be prepared!!! Which do you all like ? As always your knowledge is second to none!!! Always much appreciated!!! So what do you use? Thanks Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I bought a small hand pump that I saw on sale in Walgreens while I was checking out. Not sure of the brand but it was cheap and small. I did not expect much from it but it has been with me for the last 3 years and has worked well on the trail.

I also have one of those electric pumps (I think it is a Slime brand) that I carry on my Strom. Never had to use it till last weekend when I wanted to air up my tires after coming off a trail. It worked well but the gauge on it is a p.o.s.
Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 4:55 pm

And do you think it is worth having a tire repair kit and tubes with you or just the tubes and a pump? Thanks
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:25 pm

I use a skeletonized 12v pump, probably like the Slime pump with the case and guage removed. If you don't have a cigarette lighter plug on the bike you need to put some alligator clips on it to connect directly to battery. Carry a patch kit except when I got on long trips and then carry spare tubes.
Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks Walter any advice on how the CO2 cartridges work- these kits seem to be in nice pack able cases! Worth it or not? Thanks
Back to top Go down
dogfarm

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 pm

I use a Topeak mountain morph pump: http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/mountainmorph

It works like a floor pump. You could use it to air up/down tires based on the terrain.

The size is 13.8” x 2.3” x 1.2”.

I carry a tube and a patch kit. A couple of patches and tube of glue doesn't take much space.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 6:39 pm

dogfarm wrote:
I use a Topeak mountain morph pump: http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/mountainmorph

It works like a floor pump. You could use it to air up/down tires based on the terrain.

The size is 13.8” x 2.3” x 1.2”.

I carry a tube and a patch kit. A couple of patches and tube of glue doesn't take much space.

I second the Topeak, I have the same pump & have carried it in my backpack for ~3 years. Lightweight, dependable & very quick. I have pulled over, plugged a puncture & aired up a front while the guys were still taking off their gear thinking it was going to be a 20 minute wait to change a tube.
It also is capable of the high pressure for the Tubliss system if I ever needed air in the high pressure bladder.
Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Awesome guys sounds like Topeka it is !!!! Thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm

I carry a Lezyne Alloy Drive hand pump, size medium (the larger of the 2 sizes they make.)  It's lightweight, compact, and high quality.

My flat tire kit is a Wolfman Enduro Carry-All bag mounted on the number plate above the headlight.  In it I carry:
- The Lezyne hand pump
- CO2 tire inflator with 3 cartridges
- Pencil-style tire pressure gauge
- 21" HD tube
- Motion Pro Bead Buddy
- Tube patches, glue, and sandpaper/grater.
- 2 aluminum Motion Pro "combo lever" spoon with axle wrench (1 x 22mm and 1 x 27mm)
- 1 Motion Pro spoon type tire iron
- Spare inexpensive tube valve stem caps with integrated valve core removal tool.

I still need to find room for 1 oz. containers of liquid dish soap and baby powder.  And some band-aids.

Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks guys! And wwguy I ordered the lezyne in the carbon - awesome lolling nice size pump
Appreciate everyone's help!!! Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:42 pm

I keep one of these on my bike. thumb
Best trail tire pump? Co210
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Topeak-AirBooster-Bicycle-Tire-Inflator-w-16g-CO2-Cartridge-TAB-1/29667609
Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Yes mcdoudle also going to get a repair kit which has this on it! Thank you! thumb
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Phillyride wrote:
Thanks guys! And wwguy I ordered the lezyne in the carbon - awesome lolling nice size pump
Appreciate everyone's help!!! Peace YAM

Nice!  Just be aware that Lezyne makes two different styles of hand pumps: High Pressure (HP) and High Volume (HV).  Each have unique sweet spots and challenges for operation.  I only mention this because I suggested the Alloy model which is HV style, and you selected one of the Carbon models, which are HP style.  It will work, but you'll be doing more work (pumps) to get your WRR tire to 20 psi with the HP model rather than the HV model.

From the FAQ page on Lezyne's website:

Q: What is the difference between HV and HP?
A: The main difference between HP (High Pressure) and HV (High Volume) hand pumps is the barrel diameter. The HP hand pumps have a smaller barrel diameter that pushes less air volume than the HV pumps, but allows you to achieve a higher pressure. Typically you want a HP hand pump for "high pressure" tires. This mostly means skinny tires, but some people have big wide tires that need high pressure. As you probably guessed, HV pumps work better on "high volume" tires that require lower pressures (mostly mountain bikes). HP pumps will inflate large tires and vice versa: HV pumps will inflate tires to high pressure. The reason there are two is that HP pumps will require a lot more strokes (and time) to inflate high volume tires and HV pumps will require a lot more strength to inflate tires to high pressure.

Regarding CO2 cannisters:  They're a great solution for putting most of the air in a tire after a tube repair or replacement.  But they're not so handy for occasional top-offs, slow leaks, or adjustments for transition between dirt and street.  Once they're empty you're SOL.  I only use mine for full-fill tube repair or replacement out in the wild.
Back to top Go down
Phillyride

Phillyride

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks bro I can always return plus going to carry CO2 also thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best trail tire pump?   Best trail tire pump? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best trail tire pump?
Page 1 of 1