Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Custom Racks DIY

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
drbike

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:04 am

Here is a few shots of the racks I have made for the new bike.  I wanted something  that would provide a way to carry tools and fuel as well as a tail rack for when I am camping.  I am not sure how they will work out but for now they seem fine, and seem up to the task.

Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0678_zpslauetwqo

Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0676_zps6pd43inp

Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0673_zpsiemo0xvc

I made these up so that I can go with any one of the three racks alone or in combination.   I am pretty sure I will be adding some sort of holder for a large water bottle on one or both struts.  I wanted the fuel on the inside of the rack just for easy access when loaded with side bags.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 10:48 am

Looks good, my rotopax is in about the same spot, make sure when your rear suspension is totally compressed it doesnt hit your chain guard, mine was real close. cheer`s
Back to top Go down
drbike

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Hey Fiftygrit  we are nearly neighbours.  Go figure.  I am in Houston.    

I think it will be ok, I will post a rear shot of the alignment, I tried to keep it outside of the chain guard, I did a 30 km ride around the back roads here while it was still in the duct tape, tack weld stage and it came home where it was put.  The question is will it survive a sleep on the trail and not get too pushed in.  I was actually thinking of putting a cross bar from one side to the other.   scratch Might make it worse in a crash.

Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0679_zps8dvvr2eeCustom Racks  DIY IMG_0680_zpsqxvyirff

Its hard to photograph the 3D location on the bike, even harder to check out the location when riding  Very happy
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Very nice! Did you bring the left side out further to fit the rotopax or to keep it symmetric to the other side, or both?

How/where did you make the joint on the exhaust side? Grateful if you could post some closer, more detailed shots of the joints. Thanks thumb
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Small world drbike, ya well i thought mine was out far enough and the other night trying to follow my son through some ditches on an old logging road it hit my chain guard and the chain broke the end off, I may make one out of aluminum, I also bent the rotopax bracket out a bit, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
drbike

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 11:17 pm

beer goggle wrote:
Very nice! Did you bring the left side out further to fit the rotopax or to keep it symmetric to the other side, or both?

How/where did you make the joint on the exhaust side? Grateful if you could post some closer, more detailed shots of the joints. Thanks thumb

Regarding the joint on the exhaust side and rearward was the first piece I bolted to the bike, I used 1/4 inch flat bar,  I fitted the piece drilled and tapped it to take a M8 bolt, I was thinking I would back it up with a nut as well. I used the hole just behind the exhaust attachment.  It seems like that to get a bolt on there I will need to modify the exhaust bracket a bit, nothing a grinder won't fix.  The other option would be to make a small bushing or perhaps a stack of washers to clear the exhaust bracket.  The front attachment was off the passenger peg mount, to clear an existing bolt I doubled up the bar and gave it a bit of a tack
Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0685_zpszt29y2srCustom Racks  DIY IMG_0659_zpshxco4c3x

The left side and right side is nearly symmetrical the rotopax on the left is sort of where the muffler is on the right.  It is actually about a 1/2 inch further away from centre.
Custom Racks  DIY IMG_0684_zpsxn63tzhy

The mounts for the tail rack are outside the frame on the left and inside the frame on the right. On the top I did as is the norm and drilled through the fender and attached to the same nuts as the tail light, I uses small galvanized 3/8 connectors as bushings.
I made these with the thought in mind that shit happens....so any combination of these racks work.  This might have some real world value if they get bent beyond use.  

It seems like getting a decent photo on the cell is harder than making the rack LOL
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyWed May 13, 2015 11:26 pm

You folks in Houston are tough, no shoes and socks, what you think summer is here hahaha
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyThu May 14, 2015 6:27 am

looks very good. A removable cross piece might come in handy... if the bike takes a nap straightening out a bent rack might weaken it... and they all like to nap sooner or later. Thanks for posting up your skills /ingenuity !

Back to top Go down
drbike

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyThu May 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
You folks in Houston are tough, no shoes and socks, what you think summer is here hahaha

Yup girl kids are like that, hurts like hell to get out of bed at noon but can walk on gravel.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY EmptyThu May 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks drbike, you've given me some useful ideas. Cheers thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Custom Racks  DIY Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Racks DIY   Custom Racks  DIY Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Racks DIY
Page 1 of 1