Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Home made rules!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
beer goggle

beer goggle

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyThu May 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Ok, so it's kinda home made! I wanted a rack for my bike and decided the Scaggs was the one for me, but courtesy of the rise in exchange rates the price + shipping to Istanbul made me think twice. I drew up my own rack and made a temporary one from an old & used IKEA chopping board. That broke recently. So I took my design to a local shop who put it on computer and lazer cut it. I spent about an hour filing down the sharp edges and then scrubbing it to give it its brushed aluminium look. The shop charged me 40TL ($15) for the aluminium (5mm) and cutting. If the filing/brushing wasn't so boring I could have a batch of 10 made up and sell them for a serious profit. Unfortunately I'm not entrepreneurially minded (too damn lazy) baldy

IKEA

Home made rules!! Photo3_zpsd315acd8

Snapped IKEA

Home made rules!! IMG_2659_zpsdh4fiwyn

Fresh off the buzzsaw

Home made rules!! IMG_2737_zpsf7cqsk77

Filed/smoothed/brushed

Home made rules!! IMG_2738_zpslk4jnopk

On the bike...

Home made rules!! IMG_2739_zpsyzzmnlwz

Home made rules!! IMG_2740_zpsxvdmiyzm

Home made rules!! IMG_2741_zpspqhiw9f2

Home made rules!! IMG_2742_zpsssvzjsau

Ok, I know the bolts aren't looking good like that, but the dude at the shop told me the sunken type bolts would mean the rack would lose its strength. I had two made up so I might try the sunken types to see if it holds.

What do you think lads?
Back to top Go down
brek81

brek81

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyThu May 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Looks good! thumb

on the bolts, you could try a button/pan head to lower the profile a bit as well.
Back to top Go down
KiLLeRrKeN

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyThu May 21, 2015 7:25 pm

looks awesome, can't beat that price though
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyThu May 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Looks awesome. I agree with Brek use a stainless steel button head bolt no need for countersink..

link ->HERE<-
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyFri May 22, 2015 7:47 am

The bolts are M6 right? I'm having a bit of trouble finding longer ones (70mm)
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptySun May 24, 2015 9:32 am

dunno...i have not had the fender off yet or used the bolt holes..
but for length get something longer if you have to then hack it off to 70 mm .{i was going to post a android phone app to get bolt sizes but it only measures hex head size and bolt length}

again... the rack looks good and very functional thumb
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyMon May 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for the comments guys thumb

I'm thinking of drilling some Rotopax mounting holes, however due to the design I'll probably drill them width ways between the rack mounting holes rather than length ways, which is the norm. How many mm's gap is there between the Rotopax mounting holes? And can anyone see potential flaws doing it this way?
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyMon May 25, 2015 3:55 pm

beer goggle wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys thumb

I'm thinking of drilling some Rotopax mounting holes, however due to the design I'll probably drill them width ways between the rack mounting holes rather than length ways, which is the norm. How many mm's gap is there between the Rotopax mounting holes? And can anyone see potential flaws doing it this way?

Think I found what I'm looking for

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/21-accessories-/238758-rotopaxs.html

I do however have another Rotopax question...when installing on a rack is the mounting plate needed, or is the twisty thing simply bolted on from under the rack?
Back to top Go down
drbike

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 7:14 pm

That looks great. I think you should make a dozen and sell me one of them. I do like home made type stuff especially when it looks so professional. Great job.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 6:42 am

Thanks drb, let me get the ball rolling if I get some more made up I'll look into shipping costs etc and see if we can sort something out ;)

One thing I noticed is the brushed effect has rubbed off where the straps on my Wolfman Peak tailbag mount...for obvious reasons. I'm going to look into having it anodised...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home made rules!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home made rules!!   Home made rules!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Home made rules!!
Page 1 of 1