Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blusmoke

Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? Empty
PostSubject: Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?   Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? EmptyFri May 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Just thought I would share a possible 40hp lead I regrettably had forgotten about until the other day. It may just be a load of topes , I know I kinda thought it at the time and did not think much about it but thought Id share anyways just incase this turns out to be the holy grail of wr250r/x modification. And would love any input especially from anyone thats heard/looked into this at all?

I was talking to a gentlemen around august of last year in either in the parts or service dept. at this local shop called Procaliber. We were talking about my wr and he mentioned someone he met/knew had dumped a bit of money into it and was able to get a shop to install a "450" topend on their wr250.

The pro caliber guy seemed to know a little bit about it and the gist of what he told me was that the WRR motor either had much more in common or was even based on the YFZ 450 quad motor rather than the yz/wr450 motor.

From the little research Ive just begun to do it looks like the yfz motor has a similar look and the stator cover looks the same. It has a different crank and bearings than the YZ motor. From what I've read the YFZ has a much sturdier transmission and has also been detuned for reliability reasons.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?   Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? EmptyFri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Never heard of this, and I tend to doubt it.
I'd have asked the guy to point me to the person with this info.

The YFZ450 engine is based on the previous (before it went with the "backwards design" for 2010) YZ450F engine.
To my knowledge, the WR250R and X is not based on any YZ engine design.
It doesn't even look similar.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?   Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? EmptySat May 30, 2015 2:34 am

Yes a class example of one of the 100+ shoulda coulda would have moments that occur in an average day for me lol, I even called pro caliber today but it sounds like this was a rough year for them and most the crew had left the company. I didn't remember/think anything about it until recently when I was thinking in my head about why the wr250r is limited to big bore kits less than 300cc when certain bikes like a 1994 klx 250 for instance have a 300 and a 350 kit available.

I was thinking if the yfz crank would fit then maybe the jug could be modified to as well. Maybe the ideal thing would be to swap the beefier quad motor into a bike frame eh, it would be five speeds but the transmission and clutch would be much sturdier and I bet it would be a lil less buzzy.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?   Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? EmptySat May 30, 2015 8:58 am

The klx 250 can be made into a 300 because theres also a klx 300 the shares the same bottom end and a 350 because they are boring out the 300 cylinder.

If you want a big cc wr250r get the stroker crank and the 280 or 290 kit for 306-310 cc, its not really hard to do its just expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?   Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine? Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible relation to yfz450 ATV engine?
Page 1 of 1