Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front Sprocket Removal

Go down 
+5
dirtytrixx400
YZEtc
ZED
duanew
Jus42
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jus42

Front Sprocket Removal Empty
PostSubject: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 7:40 pm

So I went with the consensus and ordered a JT 12T front sprocket. I am however having some difficulty getting the stock one off. I was able to pry up the little locking tabs with a flathead. I read through a few other post and tried putting a pipe though the spokes and over the swingarm...now I have a bent spoke as well baldy Any quick advise on how to get this thing off, and now am I in an even deeper hole with a bent spoke? What are the repercussions? Thanks
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Someone to help you is always a plus. If you have a impact wrench, use it. Otherwise this is the accepted method. You will have to have the chain and rear tire on the bike. You will also need an appropriate socket and a breaker bar. Stand on the right side of the bike and step on the rear brake. Lean over the seat of the bike and use the breaker bar to turn the nut. Having someone to help you would really make this easier. I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Jus42

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Yea I have a 27mm socket and a 1/2 driver...maybe I'll just wait for a helper. You know how it is, when you start it you want it finished now. Is that bent spoke a problem?
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 pm

I have done it before on a previous bike, but I did not have some one to help me.

I think that the bent spoke could be a problem. The experts on that need to chime in. I am not sure if you will be able to buy one or if you will have to buy a whole set. Maybe a specialty rim builder will be able to hook you up.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't know how to do it by ones self. I have someone sit on the bike with the brakes on.
I would not want to use an impact socket on my output shaft, and thereby, internal gears.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:30 pm

It can easily be done with one person.
Make sure those staked-in parts of the sprocket nut are free and clear of the indentations in the shaft - there are two of these, 180 degrees apart.

You need a long breaker bar for leverage, unless you want to strain with a short one.
Put the bike in 1st gear, stand on the right-hand side of the bike, step on the rear brake pedal, reach over the seat with your tools, pull upward on the breaker bar (nut comes off in the usual counter-clockwise direstion) and off it comes. :)
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:16 pm

i used my 1/2" drive air impact....transmission in neutral. no brakes needed,only held my foot against the rear tire to keep it from turning as i had it on my bike stand(wheels off the ground). it zipped right off....no fuss or transmission gears impacted or bent spokes,etc.
also....no turning of the engine over backwards....on some engines with cam chain tensioners and guides(most motorcycle engines) they can damage the guide by turning it backwards to normal rotation. the cam chain may snag on the top of the guide and break it.

i've never had to buy any spokes but a friend of mine has bought a few before from the dealer,he didn't have to buy a whole set. i would just straighten it as best as possible and re tighten it....then on the next tire change just put a new one in.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:53 pm

I did it myself, as short as I am. Front Sprocket Removal 810411 !/2" ratchet, 27mm 6 point socket and a good step onto the handle. Front Sprocket Removal 61865

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 pm

I did it by myself too. Bike in gear. On side stand. wooden dowel through spokes over swing arm positioned all the way out against the rim.
Socket on nut, ratchet handle in a lacrosse stick for leverage. Pay attention to what's happening and start torquing.

No issues. 12t installed.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 10:53 pm

I never had to put anything thru the back wheel. Front Sprocket Removal Icon_scratch I just had it in gear, stood on the brake with one foot and then leaned over the seat and stood on the ratchet handle with the other.

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:11 am

I reel a piece of wood into the chain and front sprocket
It locks it up tight and the wood wont hurt anything
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 8:24 am

I did not stand on the rear brake, or lean across the bike.

Whatever works.

I started without the dowel and the rear wheel spun. I was concerned about the spokes bending so I paid close attention to placement of dowel.
Way out against the rim seemed like the place to go. I watched real close as I applied torque to the wrench handle with the lacrosse stick on it to make sure the spokes here okay.

The rear brake technique seems like a winner.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 am

motokid wrote:
I did not stand on the rear brake, or lean across the bike.

Whatever works.

I started without the dowel and the rear wheel spun. I was concerned about the spokes bending so I paid close attention to placement of dowel.
Way out against the rim seemed like the place to go. I watched real close as I applied torque to the wrench handle with the lacrosse stick on it to make sure the spokes here okay.

The rear brake technique seems like a winner.

"lacrosse stick"......now that's just plain funny. good one motokid Front Sprocket Removal 851577
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 8:55 am

When you remove the cage from an aluminum (metal) lacrosse stick the opening is perfect for the handle of a Craftsman socket wrench.

It makes for a nice long lever. Front Sprocket Removal 61865

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 am

motokid wrote:
When you remove the cage from an aluminum (metal) lacrosse stick the opening is perfect for the handle of a Craftsman socket wrench.

It makes for a nice long lever. Front Sprocket Removal 61865

gotcha on the leverage....

i have a big assortment of "cheater bars" collected over the years....
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:15 am

If I need leverage I just use the good ol' snipe bar off the logging truck. Front Sprocket Removal 61865

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:01 pm

I have a 3 foot section of pipe for when I need some real leverage, but a standard breaker bar works for me 90% of the time.

Bike in 1st, stand on the rear brake, use a breaker bar and man up. Never had a problem with the wheel spinning unless I wasn't on the brake hard enough, the torque spec is only 69ft#'s.. Putting something through the spokes just seems like a recipe for disaster.
Back to top Go down
Jus42

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:38 pm

yea I realize that now...I was following the advice of another member. Can someone tell me if having one bent spoke is a problem. If I can get it reasonably straight am I ok to leave it that way? Or does it need to be replaced asap?
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Dont worry about the spoke
make it as straight as you can and fuggetaboutit
The weight actually hangs pulling on the spokes, there is no pushing force to bend it worse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Removal   Front Sprocket Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Sprocket Removal
Page 1 of 1