Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

bike won't run

Go down 
+3
66T
SumoWRR
Fiftygrit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Bike won't run WR250R. Here's the specifics:

I fired up the bike rode it around for a few miles to warm it up pretty good, hit the interstate and held either 3/4 or WFO for around 30 minutes in top gear. At about 25 minutes getting close to the exit i noticed what i would refer to as a lean bog going up hills so i backed off the throttle. I could get back to wfo going downhills.

Coming up the offramp the bike would idle with the clutch pulled in but wouldn't take any throttle. Then it died. Would not restart. Ran the battery down to where it wouldn't spin. Attempted to bump start about 5 times until I gutted myself and gave up. Fuel pump *sounds* normal. Got it back to house about 11pm, it was a long day, lol.

So today I got the tank off and pulled the plug, cleaned it up with a wire brush. It looks pretty good, do have alot of rust around the upper part of the plug from moisture. Checked for spark and I can see it clear in broad daylight. Reinstalled.

Dumped out gas, put in a fresh gallon. Turned on ignition with fuel line disconnected, the pump is pumping good seemingly. Plug it all back together.

Bike started right up, then died after 20 seconds. Pulled the plug again, looked normal. Tried turning on/off ignition several times to pump up fuel pressure, no dice. Stumbled a bit.

Any ideas? Clogged injector? Bad fuel pump? Thing is the fuel pump pumps. Does the fuel pump not pump any fuel at all if it dies or is it a pressure problem thing? Oh I did pull the air filter to make sure no dirt dobbers got in there or something.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 pm

What year is it, has the fuel pump in the tank been replaced, sounds like the pump to me, also let every one know what mod`s have been dont, the more info you give these guys the better the chance they can help, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 5:14 pm

No mods, original fuel pump, 3500 on the odo but those are pretty hard miles. Its an 08.

I have read the fuel pump threads, wow what a bummer. I don't know if I can check fuel pressure or not. What should in spec fuel pressure be? Maybe I can glom a gage from someplace, but I don't know where to tap in. I hate to cut the fuel line in half.
Back to top Go down
SumoWRR

SumoWRR

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Do a compression check bogging down to nt starting with a random fire is indicative of a top end or ring job
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 9:14 pm

+1 for the pump. Your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. Pump buzzes up but the bike won't run for long.

Junk the pump and I honestly feel that you'll have your WR back again.
Back to top Go down
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 am

If i can find my compression tester i'll give it a shot while i have it apart. I'll also put in a new plug (cheap enough). I'll fool around with it another hour or so and go order a pump and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

Check on the forums there are some cheap pumps out there, rather than OEM, guys have used them and they seem to stand up pretty good, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 am

Update, lol.

So I did get and install a new yamaha fuel pump last weekend. Don't ask how much it cost.

The bike starts and runs strong for a minute or 2 and then dies. I repeated that about 15 or 20 times...killed the battery while using a trickle charger. Put in a new one. Finally on a start try it backfired a couple times...and then it backfired really bad and rattled the exhaust pipe. All I can think is there is some type of electrical issue or the injector is clogged. I keep thinking bad gas but its fresh, right from the pump. I guess its possible I burned something up running high rpm on a lean condition for as long as I did. I do think the original pump went bad. What I see now are different symptoms from the original problem.

Anyone ever pulled the injector? Think its worth pulling?

I'm going to have to take it in to a yamaha shop I think. Let a mechanic take a look.
Back to top Go down
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Update, took it to the shop, dropped $100 and it now runs. No diagnosis was given. I put a couple hundred miles on it the last few days...it runs great. Shrug.

They ordered a stator for me so I'll have them throw that on there when it shows up.

They did say they put fresh gas in. So now I'm dodging all the shell stations and going with BP so I guess I'm invigorated. Other than bad gas right out of the pump I have no idea and my wallet is $100 lighter.

Back to top Go down
michiko

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 am

what a load of codswallop!
the bike shop wont tell you what the problem was. apart from you didn't put gas in it!

fuck me...... wake up.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 am

He didnt say they wouldn't tell, just that they didn't...
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 am

I would never have paid them or took my bike form the shop without knowing wtf they did.

...But I'm glad it working for you now!!
Back to top Go down
michiko

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 4:16 am

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
He didnt say they wouldn't tell, just that they didn't...

either way
Back to top Go down
Mugster2

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Well, to clarify, I asked the counter guy what they did to get it going (maybe 3 or 4 times). All I got from it was it started after the fuel was drained/refilled.

It was starting to get to the point of an awkward conversation. If I refused to pay (or started yelling or something), I guess I could have gotten the bike and taken off. It didn't seem worth it. IE, bike wasn't running...I took it in to shop...now its running...cash owed.

Although this is exactly why I'd almost rather lose a finger than let another mechanic work on one of my bikes. And this particular bike seems to be pretty fussy in terms of fueling and ignition based on all the "stuck on the side of the road threads" in this forum.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bike won't run Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike won't run   bike won't run Empty

Back to top Go down

bike won't run
Page 1 of 1