Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 9:36 am

I tend to not use my clutch that often when I'm riding in the woods. I just let off the gas and shift. If I'm on a nice straight away I will use the clutch, but if I need to down shift real quick, or if I go up a gear real quick in some tight trails, I don't pull the clutch.

Am I getting into a bad habit? Will I be causing damage in the long run to my clutch?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 9:40 am

Generally speaking, the clutch isn't necessary when upshifting (just unload the throttle a bit) but you should be using the clutch to downshift.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 4:40 pm

I sometimes use the clutch but many times do not. This has been hundreds if not thousands of hours on all my bikes from 90cc up to the Tiger triple. Never had a clutch or gear issue.

Oops! Not true. I broke the shifting mechanism on my Hodaka Super Rat when I was 16 years old. It had a weird expanding ball engagement that was known to fail. On that bike, i should have used the clutch...

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 5:23 pm

I shift without the clutch all the time as long as you back off the gas and time it well so theres no strain on the gears when doing it your not hurting a thing.

I've been doing this for years to many different bikes and atvs and havent hurt a transmission yet.
Back to top Go down
SumoWRR

SumoWRR

PostSubject: Re: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm

I have heard of a lot of people not using the clutch and the bikes last forever. Bikes known for soft shit forks or trans issues its best to use the clutch to prevent damage or trans fixes. If the WRR/Xs are solid feel free to bang away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?   Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit? Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch - Am I getting into a bad habit?
Page 1 of 1