Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Intent to Recall - overheating stator

Go down 
+40
Jens Eskildsen
Ziabeam
dmmcd
Zodiac1
LasVegasWR
dogfarm
wwguy
yaw
camaroz1985
grw800
alansz400
sbend
chabon
saddletramp
wrwiley
Handz
timzim
MADDOGGIE501
ezrdr55
f3joel
gordo
GlibGuy
jorgo
Serp
lank
Fiftygrit
blusmoke
sturgeon
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
sprocket
66T
wankle
IslandADV
WRXZ
alexWR
speersie
rsteiger
Evol
JS5Owner
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jens Eskildsen

Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 am

Agree thumb

Mine has spent its first 4-5 years as a dedicated endurobike by the PO, so I was really surprised to see the stator in such good state.

I've run it in sand with the fan coming on/off, but have never seen the temp warning light.
Back to top Go down
lank

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 9:16 am

lank wrote:
I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the oil only has around 100 km on it. I will need to talk to the service guy and see if they will replace it.
I called Yamaha Canada and they will not put synthetic oil back in the bike after the recall is done. I don't drive the bike much and just spent $50.00 on my oil and filter. (in Canada the price is higher for the filter and oil) The bike is a 2008 and it only has 4700km. I will wait and have the recall done next year when the bike needs the oil changed again. (I just switch to synthetic because I like to ride the bike when it is cold outside under 20C down to 10C) The bike does not get much use in the heat of the summer.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Well my dealer is useless, rang and apparently ordered the part over a week ago and no phone call back.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Alex my part took almost 2 weeks they are backed up since the recall, once they get it only takes 1/2 hour to do the job, pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 3:02 pm

My parts were ordered 3 weeks ago....Be patient, the recall hit and a lot of owners are waiting for parts.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm

this is the second time i've had to call though (when they actually told me this time they were ordering parts). the other occasion they didn't get back to me (when recall was first announced in oz).

service department isn't very good unfortunately only dealer around me ~45min drive away.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm

On the face of it, that's pretty rubbish if the parts are in stock. Most Yam dealers here in Adelaide or other capital cities get stuff overnight from Yamaha Australia. Regional areas probably a day or two more, I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Serp

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm

I called the dealer 2 weeks ago, the service manager checked the VIN and said mine is listed in the recall. He got a stator in and I had it replaced today.

The service from them was great so I'll be happy to go back if I need to.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 6:24 am

I have to say my dealer was fast. It was only a couple of days, and the stator was in for me to exchange.

Which doesn't help alexWR much. Sorry mate, not meaning to rub your face in it. Just pointing out that some shops are onto it, and having a go.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Well it's been 3.5 weeks and I stopped by my local dealer today to see what's up. They've got my parts.... budah
When were they going to call me? Anyhow, it'll be done on Friday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 7:45 am

I got mine done yesterday, I dropped the bike off Thursday after work and picked it up Friday after work, easy peasy.

The local dealer has a very good rep for repair/service work but they're not all like that.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 8:22 am

Biglake wrote:
I got mine done yesterday, I dropped the bike off Thursday after work and picked it up Friday after work, easy peasy.

You trying to copy me? hehehe

I did the exact same thing. They even washed most of my bike.
Back to top Go down
jorgo

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 am

Rang my local dealer and was told parts are on back-order from Japan and won't be in for 2 -3 weeks. Promised a phone call when they arrive to arrange install. Hope they remember.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 1:05 pm

I got my recall letter yesterday.   I recently had the symptoms of a bad stator but it turned out to be the rectifier or regulator.  Much simpler to replace but still $100+ just for the part.  Does anyone feel Yamaha might reimburse me for this when I get the stator replaced?  Someone advised that if I did have to replace the stator that the rectifier should be replaced as well.
Back to top Go down
gordo

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 2:04 pm

lank wrote:
lank wrote:
I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the oil only has around 100 km on it. I will need to talk to the service guy and see if they will replace it.
I called Yamaha Canada and they will not put synthetic oil back in the bike after the recall is done. I don't drive the bike much and just spent $50.00  on my oil and filter. (in Canada the price is higher for the filter and oil) The bike is a 2008 and it only has 4700km. I will wait and have the recall done next year when the bike needs the oil changed again. (I just switch to synthetic because I like to ride the bike when it is cold outside under 20C down to 10C) The bike does not get much use in the heat of the summer.

I had the stator recall done a week ago: I use Amsoil 10W40 and gave them 1.5 quarts to replace as they said they would put in 10W40 yamalube conventional, no problem. A big note on the work order at the stealership that they can use the oil I've provided......picked the bike up and they didn't use the oil I'd brought, still sitting in the fender bag. The oil window was already looking dirty, asked what type of oil they used, long wait, 'something 10W40'.............I bet my right nut the mechanic just dumped the drain pan back in......I said it sure looks a little dark for new oil, even with no filter change (I'd changed it recently). He told me some oils look dark even out of the container............... Can't prove anything, took my bike home changed it to the Amsoil 10W40. I asked them for a new crush washer. Don't like the place, but it's just so close to my house.

Learn from my mistakes, a mechanic you trust is priceless.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 10:26 pm

The local dealer didn't change my oil at all while doing the recall, im not sure if they even drained it.

Its not a big deal to me at all but it would've been nice to get a free oil change.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 10:23 am

Got my letter yesterday.
Not sure if I need a new stator as I haven't had any issues in many miles/years.

Can I just hold on to this letter in case the stator goes out down the road?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 am

I dont know why you would not get it done, new stator for free, all good.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 pm

If they will just trade me out old stator for new I will.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Just got my recall letter yesterday, made an appt. for tomorrow to drop the bike off. Dealer has the parts in stock as they ordered a couple when the recall hit. Should have the bike back Friday. They're really busy, but are working in any recalls as quick as they can. Evidently the recall covers 2015 models built during the first half of production (summer to fall 2014). Didn't think I was going to get a recall letter, but I did, so off to the dealer it goes...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 12:26 am

Dropped off the bike at noon today, got a call at 5 that I could pick it up. Swung by after work with my wife and rode the bike home. Painless. They added .83 quarts of 20W50 Yamalube, so evidently they lose some oil on the job, then top it up. Didn't change it completely, as that's not called for in the recall instructions they showed me at the dealer. I'll drain it all and change the filter again in a couple hundred more miles.
Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 9:30 am

Fiftygrit wrote:
I dont know why you would not get it done, new stator for free, all good.

I know why...Stealership:  "I always did want to mess with one of them there lectrical thingys."

As soon as I get mine home I'll pull it out of the back of the truck, pull the cover and check to make sure the stator screws are Loctited and put dialectic grease on the connector.  Also one of the cover screws has a copper washer, so I'll check to make sure that's where it should be.  All the cover screws will get Loctite.  AND of course check the output and charging voltage.

Did I miss anything?  Oh, and I'll use a new gasket.

Why do all this?  Because I'll be riding it 6500 miles (WABDR) the week after I get it back from that guy that has always wanted to mess with lectrical thingys. thumb
Back to top Go down
MADDOGGIE501

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am

I spoke with my dealer who completed my recall. They put the bike at an angle and don't lose any oil. They also showed me all the gaskets from bikes they already completed. The gaskets come off in one piece, no scrapping, and hopefully no worry go getting gasket material in the engine. They also said, not one WR250R has come in with an overheated stator issue.
Back to top Go down
timzim

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Just got mine back yesterday 12000 miles well maintained the top of the stator was melted. The bike showed no signs of a problem.
Back to top Go down
Handz

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Dropped my WR250X off last night to the dealer for the recall repair. Said it will be done today and I will pick it up tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Intent to Recall - overheating stator
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next