Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do I Need a Fuel Pump?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

Do I Need a Fuel Pump? Empty
PostSubject: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 pm

While riding today my "check engine" light came on but the bike continued to run OK.   Later, after a rest stop, the starter barely turned the engine but I was able to bump it and get started.  At the next rest the engine seemed to be running rough at low idle so I shut it off but was able to bump it and start again.  Finally at the next low idle (waiting for my riding buddy who was following me back to home base) the engine coughed and sputtered and I was not able to go.  Again it had been running OK prior to that stop.  When I got home I tried to start but the engine didn't turn - I did hear a fluttering sound.

So has the fuel pump gone bad?   My riding bud says it's my battery.

Chime in if you have any thoughts or ideas.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:01 pm

I would start with the simple, easy, obvious stuff.
I'd charge the battery and have it tested with a motorcycle battery tester.
Motorcycle dealer service departments have battery testers.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Put the new battery on this afternoon.  The bike cranked fine, the check engine light stayed on but only briefly and all seems to be fine.  I checked the volts in the old battery after it had been removed and it showed 10.25.  

I guess my riding buddy was right about the battery being the culprit.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Just to be sure, it would be a good idea to have the charge rate checked. It should be around 14v at idle.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 4:11 pm

66T wrote:
Just to be sure, it would be a good idea to have the charge rate checked. It should be around 14v at idle.

Just checked volts; 13.09 before I started the engine.  Dropped to 12.48 at idle.

Sounds like I have charging system issues doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Did it go up at all when you rev the bike a bit, it should, if it does not then yes you have a charging problem.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
Did it go up at all when you rev the bike a bit, it should,  if it does not then yes you have a charging problem.

It didn't change when I revved it.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 pm

I believe the WRR is pretty much at full charge at idle. Once I replaced my stator, revving it made no difference. Full charge ie around 14v at idle. My idle is set pretty high 16-1700rpm, but that mightn't make much difference.

With the stator recall going on, this might be the time to contact your dealer and, depending on VIN, get yours done.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 3:31 pm

With the stator recall going on, this might be the time to contact your dealer and, depending on VIN, get yours done

I contacted my dealer; he had not heard of a recall but he checked my VIN and said there were no recalls out there for my bike.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Hmm. That's annoying. However, I've bought stators from the US and they're really cheap compared with prices in Australia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I Need a Fuel Pump?   Do I Need a Fuel Pump? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I Need a Fuel Pump?
Page 1 of 1