Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How often should I service my WR250X

Go down 
+4
Biglake
Evol
Fiftygrit
Zehno
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Zehno

How often should I service my WR250X Empty
PostSubject: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 pm

So I just bought a 2010 WR250X and the previous owner already just changed the oil.

In the future how often should i change oil and what other maintenance is required!

Thanks, pics coming soon if you guys want
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Welcome !!!

I only change my oil once a year, but my daily commute is only 22 km....
The recommended interval is 4800 km (3000 mi), but most riders change it more often.

Other stuff? Check your chain, brake pads, etc. Wipe the bugs off the headlight....Wash your bike (if you're one of those people).

Really, as long as you beat the crap out of it (like you should be doing), you shouldn't have to do much in terms of maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Zehno

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Alrights thanks, and when i wash it do i have to lube the chain?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 12:00 am

Zehno wrote:

I do just to make sure it won't rust. Sometimes I will just hit with some WD40 and other times I will use my favorite gear lube on it.
Back to top Go down
Zehno

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 am

rsteiger wrote:
Zehno wrote:

I do just to make sure it won't rust.  Sometimes I will just hit with some WD40 and other times I will use my favorite gear lube on it.

Alright thanks, and what lube would u recommend?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 2:11 am

I change my oil and filter about every 1000 miles, I know you dont have to, but most of my miles are around town and the bush, lots of clutch work, on the chain I clean it then use a chain lube with a wax, it dries and the dirt does not stick as much, an over lubed dirty chain will ware the sproket and chain way faster, just my .2c worth.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 6:07 am

Don't forget to clean, dry, and re-oil your air filter at some point.
For a WR250X that stays on the street, I'd do it once a month, and more often the more you may go off-road.
If you ride off-road as a habit, I'd do it after each off-road ride.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 7:00 am

YZEtc wrote:
For a WR250X that stays on the street, I'd do it once a month, and more often the more you may go off-road.
Or just get a K&N air filter and don't have oil it....
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 9:35 am

Evol wrote:
YZEtc wrote:
Or just get a K&N air filter and don't have oil it....

I feel bad for your motor eeek

You have to oil k@n filters too, they don't stop dust without oil.

If you ride on the road only, check your filter monthly and clean it when its dirty, it will take a long time to get it dirty riding on clean streets, same as your car, you don't change its filter every month.

I ride mostly offroad and can get several rides in before my filter is dirty, it depends on the ride, if I avoid dusty trails or im leading on dusty roads the filter stays clean for 1/2 a dozen rides, if im riding sweep on dusty roads I need to clean it every 2 shortish rides or after 1 long ride.

I check the filter after every offroad ride and clean it when needed, having a spare filter makes this quick and easy to do. If im riding on the road only I don't look at the filter often as it doesn't get dirty often.

I change my oil every 1000 to 2000 kms depending on how hard im riding the bike, if I do a bunch of hard slow trails I only go 1000kms, if I ride on the road and easy trails I go 2000kms before changing it.

I have to lube my chain every time I wash the bike or it will rust.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 am

Zehno wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
Zehno wrote:

I do just to make sure it won't rust.  Sometimes I will just hit with some WD40 and other times I will use my favorite gear lube on it.

Alright thanks, and what lube would u recommend?

Wars have been started over discussions about chain lube... I will give you my opinion and what I do but I am sure others will differ.

If I am mainly riding on the street and near home I use a 80W90 gear lube for the chain. I put the lube in a little hand pump oiler that I have and after wiping down/cleaning the chain I basically put a drop at each pin between each plate. This use to be a pain in the ass but I have gotten it down to where it is a pretty clean and fast process. I would like to use the same for my long trips on my Strom but finding the right container and a method to dispense while on the road is tricky. I know they sell Marine grade gear oil in tubes and I have bought that before and it seemed to work pretty well. But most of the time I end up using a pray on White Lithium grease (http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Marine-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B0000AY3XF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439218746&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+white+lithium+grease)

For the bikes that are in the dirt most of the time I will clean the chain with WD40 or Kerosene (usually WD40) and then I will either use Dupont's Teflon Chain lube or a special European pressure sensitive lubricant that I picked up some years ago (really don't think it is much different than the Dupont stuff). Thing is that if you are in a lot of muck you pretty much want the chain lube to dry after application so it doesn't attract too much grit.

I usually get about 25,000 miles out of the chain on my DL650 and about 9000 miles on my WR250R chain.

In both cases I have learned to keep an eye on the front sprocket. Usually that will wear out before the chain is shot. Once I see the front sprocket teeth beginning to look like a shark's fin I order a new one and replace it.

I replaced the chain on my Beta when I replaced the Aluminum rear sprocket with a steel one. That Aluminum rear sprocket went about 1500 miles before it was shot.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 11:29 am

Zehno wrote:
So I just bought a 2010 WR250X and the previous owner already just changed the oil.

In the future how often should i change oil and what other maintenance is required!

Click this link to download the owner's manual for your bike, including maintenance information.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Why on earth would you clean an airfilter monthly on a streetbike?

I'd say more like once a year, you should be able to ride many thousands kilometers without servicing the airfilter on a streetbike.

The wr requires no specific care, its the same as other bikes. So go to youtube and watch some tutorials, it seems like youre a new rider, its easely to get too much info, making the whole deal too complicated.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:

I'd say more like once a year, you should be able to ride many thousands kilometers without servicing the airfilter on a streetbike.

The wr requires no specific care, its the same as other bikes. So go to youtube and watch some tutorials, it seems like youre a new rider, its easely to get too much info, making the whole deal too complicated.

^^^ Good advice

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:

That's how I do oiled foam air filters, myself.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 am

On a street bike?

I have trips where I need to clean my filter after one ride, and other trips traveling over 1600km with no maintenance, thats on the "R" model...

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 7:33 am

I check my air filter at each engine oil change.

For my WRR that is typically every 3000 miles. I would say that the mileage is a probably 60% street and 40% off pavement. Usually the filter is fine and I probably clean and oil it about every 6000 miles.

However, if I will be doing a long DS (COBDR for example) I will clean and oil the filter ahead of time and carry a spare oiled filter with me in a zip lock bag. There was one trip on my DR650 where I needed to replace the air filter while we were covering a section of the TAT that was particularly dusty. We had a group of 8 riders and I was riding sweep and eating dust most of the time.

My Beta on the other hand sees 500 to 1000 mile oil changes and a clean air filter installed at least every 1000 miles. The Beta air filter is about 2 or 3x the size of the WRR's but get's dirty a lot quicker. Part of this is I do ride it off road more and since it is a bigger motor is flowing more air as well.

My Strom which is typically 90% street sees a new filter about every 15,000 miles if it needs it or not.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 7:44 pm

On a street bike.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 7:58 am

Let's see a pic of the filter next month, do we can dertermine it this should be a concern for a new rider, that already has a lot on his mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often should I service my WR250X   How often should I service my WR250X Empty

Back to top Go down

How often should I service my WR250X
Page 1 of 1