Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

throttle cables binding up when turned

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
laxmax44

throttle cables binding up when turned Empty
PostSubject: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 am

well ever since i installed new bars, just some basic pro tapers, nothing crazy big or anything. ive been experiencing the throttle sticking. only when turning the bars though. mostly only towards the right side. straight ahead its perfect and snappy. to the left i can feel just slight drag. but to the right it actually will hold the throttle open wherever i leave it. i figured i routed the cables wrong and have retried it a couple times but i cant seem to get it right. i didnt really pay attention to the removal.... my fault. could some one please help me out with either pictures of their cable routing, or a diagram (i searched online but couldnt find anything).

edit:
heres some pictures of my mess so maybe someone could just talk me through it instead of you having to go take pictures.
sorry, its just camera phone quality.

throttle cables binding up when turned 7cc38527
throttle cables binding up when turned 17a568fa
throttle cables binding up when turned 95355b41
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 am

hard to tell by your pic,but the throttle cables and the two electrical cable sets do not share the same spot.
here is a old pic i found that may help....what i'm talking about is just above the date stamp(wrong date also).
also you may have the throttle tube contacting the end of the bars,just loosen it and move it out a little bit.

throttle cables binding up when turned 0182
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 am

When you're having the throttle stick, is there any free play in the throttle grip at that point?
If not, there should be some.
This is adjusted with that cable adjuster just downstream from the throttle grip, the one that has the rubber boot covering it.
Back to top Go down
laxmax44

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

No it's not the free play. It doesn't actually rev at all When turning, but just binds up after I turn it even full throttle and it just sticks wide open.

Thanks for the pic but I couldn't really manage to see any difference. Are you saying the cables don't even run through that metal loop with the wires? It doest really seem like they would go anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 9:31 pm

laxmax44 wrote:
No it's not the free play. It doesn't actually rev at all When turning, but just binds up after I turn it even full throttle and it just sticks wide open.

Thanks for the pic but I couldn't really manage to see any difference. Are you saying the cables don't even run through that metal loop with the wires? It doest really seem like they would go anywhere else.

no the cables do go thru the metal bracket/guide.....i was just refering to your pic that looks like your cables and the wires were both together,possibly causing the cables to drag on them and cause some binding when your turning.

if it's just sticking....did you check the clearance on the throttle tube to the bar end?
you should have a free turning throttle at all times.
Back to top Go down
laxmax44

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Yea it's not the tube. I actually have the end cut of to accomidate bar ends. But I did remove to make sure it wasn't them causing it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 6:37 am

All I can say is that every single time I've had a bike with a sticking throttle with the handlebars turned one way or the other, it was due to a lack of throttle cable free play while the bars were at that position.

Turn the bars to the trouble spot and then rock the throttle grip open and closed - you should have at least a millimeter of throttle grip rotation before the cable is pulled.
If the cable is pulled from the first billionth on a meter of movement, that's probably your issue.

Try dialing in a lot of slack and see if it solves the issue.
If not, then you've got a friction issue preventing the throttle grip from rotating.

When you changed handlebars, what did you do to the little locating tit that used to stick into the hole in the stock handlebar?
Some guys forgot about this and had misalignment with the throttle grip housing and mega friction. :)
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 pm

When I put my Zeta hand guards on and I cut the end of the throttle tube off I didn't take enough off the first time. I had to pull the guard back off and shave some more off the end of the throttle tube because the tube was rubbing on the bar end which was making the throttle stick. Doesn't sound like you are having this issue though because you are only experiencing this with the handlebars turned to one side. I would check to make sure you filed off the locating tit on the housing otherwise like YZEtc said it will not mount right and give you issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: throttle cables binding up when turned   throttle cables binding up when turned Empty

Back to top Go down

throttle cables binding up when turned
Page 1 of 1