Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My bike doesn't float

Go down 
+9
BluePill
YamWOW!
inspector
SpiritWolf15
X-Racer
john92
duanew
YZEtc
HOSS
13 posters
AuthorMessage
HOSS

My bike doesn't float Empty
PostSubject: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Was out riding today and made a rookie mistake. Went through what looked like a shallow puddle and it ended up being about four feet. Took on water and the bike died. Got it out and home drained the oil twice, pulled the plug and cranked it, pulled the header off and drained the water out. The problem is it still won't start. Anybody got any ideas before I break down and take it to the dealer?
Thanks, HOSS
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Is the air filter soaked with water and crud?
That probably needs a service.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Kill Switch? It has happened before. My bike doesn't float 851577
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:55 am

I took mine swimming once but not that bad. If you've tried to the extent of your own expertice, you may have to take her to get checked out. My bike doesn't float 342500
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 pm

I recommend a rubber duckie wrap-around floatie and a few more times in the drink. That'll keep you from jumping into four-feet deep water and having to follow recommendations....

On that note: Everything that can hold water needs to be inspected, removed/emptied/replaced (Gas tank, all orifices etc).

Replacing the oil once was probably enough unless.... If you tried to start it with water in the cylinder you have likely blown seals/gaskets (water doesn't compress very well).

Battery good ? Check Spark ? Clean gas ? Lines blead ? No start ? Wallet time....

P.S. I've been there. "Submarined" that many times. ..at least you didn't go downstream in RAPIDS over your head ! I needed the Bell Moto III floatie adaptor ! Water ? What water ?
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 1:19 am

THe bike was on at the time... the comp may be waterlogged.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 10:02 am

I don't have any advice other then.....well really got nothin.

*PlZ keep us informed. I have been VERY curious about these bikes in water. I've only read two other bikes going into the drink. I seem to remember (maybe?) one of them blew up a short while later and the other went to the dealer and seems to be running fine so far.

**edit....I don't think that was a rookie mistake. That's what I do too to find out how deep it is. My bike doesn't float 983966
Back to top Go down
HOSS

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Well it's at the dealer now and getting fixed. I guess when the cold water hit the piston rings they contracted in the piston. This caused low compression, down to 50 psi when the dealer tested it, should be 150. This may have saved me from bending a rod or valve. No scoring on the cylinder or piston. New rings going in and should be back on the road this weekend. All of the electrics survived. Watch out for those water hazards.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:17 pm

HOSS wrote:
Well it's at the dealer now and getting fixed. I guess when the cold water hit the piston rings they contracted in the piston. This caused low compression, down to 50 psi when the dealer tested it, should be 150. This may have saved me from bending a rod or valve. No scoring on the cylinder or piston. New rings going in and should be back on the road this weekend. All of the electrics survived. Watch out for those water hazards.

That's good to hear, at least no damage was done.

As for finding out how deep water is, I find that if I don't know right off the bat, prodding with a stick works.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm

It would have made it as the Forum Header picture! My bike doesn't float 810411

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah I had my Go Pro with but had yet to turn it on. I was too pissed off to think about snapping one. I would say next time but I really hope there isn't a next time for something like this.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm

HOSS wrote:
This caused low compression, down to 50 psi when the dealer tested it, should be 150.

Good lesson. In addition to checking for water in the crankcase, remove the spark plug and shoot in a little oil, then crank over a few seconds to clear any excess, then re-install the plug and try to fire it up.
Back to top Go down
hamish54

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:58 am

I've had my R2 underwater twice. The first time, it hydrolocked. I drained the air box, wrung out the air filter, pulled the spark plug & cranked it to empty cylinder to get the water out. Drained the oil once. The engine lit right off. However since the oil was milky, decided not to ride the rest of the day. Later changed the oil 2x more with new filter until the oil showed clear. This was 4000 miles ago and no issues. Last week during our foray to North Carolina we took a day to play at Brown Mtn ORV area. Sweet trails! Partner and I had been skirting the large waterholes. Came to a section with three large holes soe I detoured through the woods for the 1st one. However the 2nd for some reason looked sooo easy, I just went for it. Front wheel dropped off, bike summer saulted over me. My partner looked over only to see the rear wheel, but no me. He thought surely I was under the bike & would drown. Somehow I wriggled free & killed the engine. Got lucky to kill it before hydrolocking. No problems from that swim except a sticky throttle that was cured by cleaning out with WD40.

Kayaking we always carry a set of dry clothes to don after a dunking. Never thought I would need these from riding offroad. The dry clothes sure were a life saver that day since temps were in the 40s and we had a 40 mile ride back to the mote.

bill
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 7:27 pm

hamish54 wrote:
Front wheel dropped off, bike summer saulted over me.

I wish you had a video of that. My bike doesn't float 851577
Back to top Go down
wtiger

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 am

My bike doesn't float P4100012hope your scoot got all fixed up. my klr doesnt float either.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

My bike doesn't float 640571 HOLY SHIT!! I hope you get it running and stays running after that swim.

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:37 am

My quartard of a little brother was out one day riding "my" LT250R when he got caught at the head of the hollow by a flash flood.

He was totally blocked off from getting back because the creek is actually part of the road in several places and he couldn't cross it.

What's his genius plan?

Flip the Quad upside down, hang on, and float it down the creek to our house, 8 miles away.

Needless to day we had a little talk after I used the winch on our truck to haul what was left of it out of the creek.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am

Did you get any pics of that?! That would have been priceless!

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 am

SheWolf wrote:
Did you get any pics of that?! That would have been priceless!

Nah...this was WAY back in the day (1989) before digital cameras were so common. I was too pissed at the time to think to grab the camera to be honest. I was too busy looking for a shotgun, LOL (was gonna shoot his ass, but just wing him with birdshot)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:58 am

My bro and I used to shoot each other with darts out of a pellet gun. My bike doesn't float 810411 Did your 250 look like this?
My bike doesn't float Bushwhacker

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:28 pm

SheWolf wrote:
My bro and I used to shoot each other with darts out of a pellet gun. My bike doesn't float 810411 Did your 250 look like this?

I'm at work and can't see the pic(they block most pics where I work)

My older brother and I used to play shoot-out with pellet guns too. We had to stop when I started lobbing lawn darts at him (make believe grenades) and caught him right in the Nads. He ran into the house screaming with a lawn dart hangin outta his sack, LOL My bike doesn't float 851577 We spent an hour in the ER while he has his scrotum poked, prodded, and stitched. I bet he felt like a Catholic Alterboy after that.

Then there was the time I threw a 45rpm record at him and it hit him so hard it "stuck" in his head. We had to go to the ER for that one too.

We had a rough childhood if you haven't guessed by now... My bike doesn't float 986936
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Ah yes...sibling rivalry. Know it all to well.
My bike doesn't float Nutkick

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

SheWolf wrote:
My bike doesn't float 640571 HOLY SHIT!! I hope you get it running and stays running after that swim.

it took about two hours to take it apart and clear the head and such, but i did ride away, wet and cold. we found a campsite with a dryer. it was a good experience to learn how to get the bike started afterwards. i was glad to have some good friends along to help get it out of the drink and that knew what to do afterwards.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:19 pm

SheWolf wrote:

That's what it looked like. I had an 1987 and a 1989 LT250R (older was a practice mount and I raced on the other one)

Looks like you have Holeshots on the back of that

I wish I still had mine to be honest...it was a blast to ride in the winters hahaha
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Holeshots would be correct. My bike doesn't float 61865

PostSubject: Re: My bike doesn't float   My bike doesn't float Empty

Back to top Go down

My bike doesn't float
Page 1 of 1