Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kabulpostie

Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey There,
In an effort to try and smooth out off idle performance I adjusted the screw on the throttle body out. The bike started and idled for about 5 minutes no problem. I took this a good sign and used the bike to go do some errands. It ran fine for the mile and a half or so to the store, but when I came back out it refused to start. I tried bump starting and also just walked the bike in 6th hoping that that might fix the problem. I also used the handy dandy stock tool kit to screw the adjustment screw back in. No luck with anything. So a mile and a half push later I'm looking for help..not too many good riding days left!
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:52 pm

So try adjusting the screw back to where you started, sound`s like you change the FI idle adjustment. square one is a good start.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Well...aheeemmm yeah I sort of tried that, in my enthusiasm I just unscrewed it, not paying attention to where I started or where it began Shog . I have tried closing the screw all the way and opening it slowly with no result. Sometimes it sounds a little better, but never catches. I'm now waiting for battery to charge.

Is there anyway the spark plug could have gotten fouled? I really hope not as I just filled the 3.7 gallon tank and really don't want to fool with taking it off...

Thanks for the input, I'm sure it's going to be something simple since I only touched one thing.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 4:33 pm

It should adjust RPM not richness, when you do adjustments its in very small amounts, 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn can change the RPM a lot, get a hold of your locan shop and see if they can give you the factory setting, I dont know it off hand. probable would not hurt to put in a new plug.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Something funky is going on here.  The only adjustable screw on the throttle body should be the Phillips-head idle screw on the left side of the bike.  Not sure exactly what you were trying to accomplish, but "just unscrewing it" (counterclockwise) should have noticeably increased the engine idle speed immediately.

You mentioned that the original problem you were trying to solve was "off idle performance".  Assuming you're not referring to the WRR's TPS-related jerkiness this typically indicates the engine is struggling under load. I'd consider checking any or all of the following:
- Air filter clean and not over-oiled.
- Fresh clean fuel.
- Good clean spark plug with proper gap.
- Sufficient level and quality oil and coolant.
- Any recent mods and/or adjustments made to stock intake, fuel programming, or exhaust systems.

For future reference all of those should be verified before tweaking idle speed or TPS position etc.  My guesses from the bleachers are fuel or airflow problems, followed by insufficient spark.  Unfortunately you may have trouble identifying the real root cause until you adjust the idle screw back to where it was originally.  But I bet you've already figured that out by now.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:30 pm

That's the screw I turned. Nothing else was touched. Literally turned the screw a bit. Turned on bike and let it idle. Rode it and then it wouldn't start. I am replacing the spark plug...because why not? I guess I'll keep trying to figure out what's going on.

Update: So I replaced the spark plug and screwed in the adjustment screw and started gradually turning counter clockwise. I also cycled the kill switch just in case it was having issues, the bike actually caught for a second after I did that, but only the one time. Early on I had some success by twisting the throttle while hitting the starter, I would open it and then the engine would catch as I rolled off the throttle. It would only run for a second or two, but it was an improvement. As I started unscrewing more things got a bit better, but I could never get the bike to run for longer than about 5 seconds. Part of the problem is that I have to stop adjustments and charge the battery. I can't figure out what's going on, is it not getting fuel? or not getting air? I'm not mechanically inclined, but those seem like the big options. It's really frustrating as I only touched one thing and now it won't work..
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Update   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I couldn't make it work so I took it to the local shop. The verdict is that it's got no fuel pressure and recommended new fuel pump. So with tire balancing, diagnostic, new fuel pump and install the bill would be $700+ This seem freaking ridiculous to me, I was quoted $385 for a new pump. Quick google search shows results from $135 (for just the actual pump) up to $278 for the complete unit.

Questions:

1. If I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn the key doesn't mean it's working?

2. How likely is it that the thing failed at the same time I turned the adjustment screw?

3. Could it just have air in the system or lost prime or something?

I'm not really mechanical and am not working right now so I would like to find the least expensive way to fix this..without me making the problem worse. If you all don't have some insight that's simplier, I'll just buy a full assembly and install it unless just replacing the pump (this is what I'm referring to http://www.justgastanks.com/replacement-fuel-pump-for-yamaha-wr250r-x/) is fairly easy. I do remember that the fuel pump assembly looked pretty tight with lots of plastic connectors that I would be likely to break off.

Any additional input would be appreciated. And I do thank the people that responded to my initial post:)

Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Read thru this forum, guys are buying fuel pumps for under $100 dollars, its not that hard to change with simple tools, and yes you can hear them make a noise, but they still might not pump, is your battery charged right up as they need a certain amount of voltage to work properly.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, I dodn't really search much because I was pretty much poleaxed at the $700+ quote, anytime repair bills approach 50% value I do a double take. But I guess it makes sense to use my crap skills rather than pay dealer.I can't make it worse.
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Mugster2

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 12:35 am

Sounds like my bike minus fiddling with the screw. There's a stator recall that might be your problem. Look into that if you can. Would be a free fix.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am

Just to finish this off, I finally got the new (used) fuel pump installed and that fixed things immediatly, just bad luckthat it went out right when I fiddled with something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment   Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! Bike won't start after ham handed adjustment
Page 1 of 1