Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink

Go down 
+3
GlibGuy
Fiftygrit
Ziabeam
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motomoto

motomoto

Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink Empty
PostSubject: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Hello everyone!  I just purchased a new 2015 WR250R this weekend.  I've been reading threads for the last month and determined that I could not live without a WRR.  I rode dirt bikes as a kid from 5 - 18 but haven't been on a bike much for 20 years.

When I went to pick up the WRR the dealer had already installed a Yamalink on it.  I was in a hurry, having 2 kids and a wife in tow, so I just told them to leave it on.  Besides, I liked the feel of the bike when I sat on it.  Now I'm wondering if or when I should remove it.

I'm 6' with 32" inseam (I think but not certain about accurate measurement).  I weight 200lbs without gear.  I'm a novice rider and I like the lower seat height but I feel like it might limit suspension performance or make the rear suspension too soft for my weight.

Could anyone here offer an opinion as to what I should do?  My current plan is to ride with it for a while until I feel more comfortable on the bike and until I can make a decision based on some riding experience.  

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Some reviews (including claims by lowering link manufacturers) elude to superior suspension performance attributed to the lowering link, while Race Tech swears it is a bad move to use a lowering link. Since Race Tech KNOWS suspensions, and loses no skin if you lower your bike, I'm inclined to look sideways at a lowering link unless it was reaaaaalllly needed.
Having said that, an average person can't handle what he or she can't manage to sit on, so lowering may be a necessary evil at times.
You being 6' with a 32" inseam, and some experience on dirt bikes, it's safe to say you may very well outgrow that LL. But you like the way it feels at the moment... soooo

I say leave it be for now. The "current plan"  you mentioned should work out very well indeed.
Back to top Go down
motomoto

motomoto

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Ziabeam wrote:
Some reviews (including claims by lowering link manufacturers) elude to superior suspension performance attributed to the lowering link, while Race Tech swears it is a bad move to use a lowering link. Since Race Tech KNOWS suspensions, and loses no skin if you lower your bike, I'm inclined to look sideways at a lowering link unless it was reaaaaalllly needed.
Having said that, an average person can't handle what he or she can't manage to sit on, so lowering may be a necessary evil at times.
You being 6' with a 32" inseam, and some experience on dirt bikes, it's safe to say you may very well outgrow that LL. But you like the way it feels at the moment... soooo

I say leave it be for now. The "current plan"  you mentioned should work out very well indeed.

Thanks Ziabeam!  The Race Tech warning is one of the things that I had read that caused me concern.  At the moment, I can flat-foot the bike so that is helping me build confidence while riding.  I thought that I felt it bottom out yesterday after hitting a bump.  I'm not sure what it was but perhaps I need to adjust sag and dampening before riding again?
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 3:06 pm

motomoto wrote:
...I thought that I felt it bottom out yesterday after hitting a bump.  I'm not sure what it was but perhaps I need to adjust sag and dampening before riding again?
Absolutely dial it in and experiment with the WR's adjustments, especially since it is already bottoming out. There are a few very well written on-line step-by-step articles that soundly detail how to adjust the WR's factory settings toward your riding style, weight etc.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm

I would not worry about it, people have used them for a long time without adverse affects.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 pm

I installed the Yamalink because I was uncomfortable (at my talent level for riding) with the height of the WR in gnarly terrain.  I have since ridden a WR without the Yamalink and that bike felt as comfortable as mine.  So it might have been psychological at first but I feel confident now that I could go back stock and be just fine.  I'll probably leave as is since it makes mounting/dismounting easier.
Back to top Go down
motomoto

motomoto

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 8:29 pm

GlibGuy, did you find that it softened your rear suspension significantly?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 pm

If its too soft you have options to stiffen the rear suspension, spring preload, rebound damping, and compression damping, thats the nice think of this bike you do have options.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 7:42 am

motomoto wrote:
GlibGuy, did you find that it softened your rear suspension significantly?

No it did not soften up the rear.  As Fiftygrit says you can adjust the rear a lot.
Back to top Go down
motomoto

motomoto

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 pm

OK.  Thanks guys.

Is there anyone out there that thinks I should get the Yamalink off my bike ASAP?  If so, why? I just like to hear from all sides if possible.
Back to top Go down
Stillwater97

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 pm

I don't think anyone will say you have to remove it. Ride it a bit, see if you like it. Then remove it and try it that way. the lowering link is really easy to take out.

Here is a 2 minute video with the instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUyUJsC4IZw

Back to top Go down
motomoto

motomoto

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Ok then. Thanks for the video link. I guess I'll stick with plan A.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:46 am

Message body...motomoto im the same as you 32 Inseam. I lowered it by the shock Clevis and cut the seat down when I first started riding as I improved I stated raising the bike. now my rear is about 1/2" lower and forks or 1/4" raised with 4" of rear race sag and 2 1/2 race sag on front
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:54 am

Message body...I ride with guys with 250 300 2 strokes race bikes in lots of nasty single track. so every weekend im trying different setups, suspensions and ride heights, to keep up with them
Back to top Go down
motomoto

motomoto

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am

paulie1960 wrote:
Message body...motomoto im the same as you 32 Inseam. I lowered it by the shock Clevis and cut the seat down when I first started riding as I improved I stated raising the bike. now my rear is about 1/2" lower and forks or 1/4" raised with 4" of rear race sag and 2 1/2 race sag  on front

Thanks for the info! It's one thing to read thread after thread but it's much more helpful for me to hear from guys in the same situation.
Back to top Go down
greenboy

greenboy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am

it's easy enough to take off later if it actually makes sense for your approach to dual-sporting. Guys that approach it like they really just want a plated dirt bike are going to look at it differently than someone who's a bit more casual about ripping it up. do what works for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink   Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink Empty

Back to top Go down

Opinions needed - New WR250R with Yamalink
Page 1 of 1