Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Knee Braces?

Go down 
+5
SpiritWolf15
Chadx
DirtFarmer
Don T
zrider
9 posters
AuthorMessage
zrider

zrider

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 3:50 pm

I used to ride Pro Motocross in the 70's and I'm now in my 50's. I have been thinking about getting a set knee braces and would like some opinions from those who are currently using them. I have never had a knee injury, but I do have arthritis in all my large joints. I am also thinking of when riding really challenging terrain at speed waring a set of shoulder braces. I have had both shoulders rebuilt and one of them twice thanks to over 25 full dislocations and a couple of SLAP tares. ( I don't like to let go of the bars or put my feet down.)

z
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 pm

I allways ride with a Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Jacket:
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_2_Protection_Jacket/pd/np/170/p/650658.html

And when I'm riding hard core off road I use Bionic XS Knee Guards:
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_SX_Knee_Guard/pd/np/170/p/650637.html

I work as a paramedic, so I have seen plenty times what happens to bikers not using crash protection...

cripple
Back to top Go down
DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:46 pm

I have Acerbis EVO knee guards along with their X - Tight boots.

Great combo, knee guards fit down in the boot and allows plenty of movement.

I wanted a pressure suit and decided to buy complete new gear.

Ended up being a very smart move, great help from MX1West. Gave me a good deal on complete outfit. deal

http://www.mx1west.com/

Knee Braces? 461334761_HDt6e-L

Knee Braces? 461334965_zDaYN-L

Knee Braces? 461334977_eEK2q-L
Back to top Go down
Chadx

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 pm

zrider wrote:
I have been thinking about getting a set knee braces and would like some opinions from those who are currently using them.

Just to clarify, are we talking knee braces or knee guards/protection?

I'm interested is peoples answers, too, as I'll be coming off of a knee injury just in time for riding season and will probably want to wear a brace. My knee protection doesn't have anything built in that will do the job. Maybe some types do?
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm using FLY Moto-Knee, Knee and shin braces

Knee Braces? 0031-1

They're pretty nice, they only let you flex to 90 and extend to 180 (approx for both) Meaning less dislocations, I hope.

-Tibby
Back to top Go down
CopaMundial

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Don't mess around   Knee Braces? EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 2:16 am

If you want real protection for your knee joint then you have two choices IMO.
(1) Get a prescription from an Orthopedic doc for custom braces (CTi, Donjoy or similar). The upside there is that your medical insurance would likely pay at least part of the $1000 price tag.
OR…
(2) Stop shopping, and go buy Asterisks .
They definitely get two thumbs up on the Copa scale.
Excellent joint protection from forces in all directions, including twisting, and impact protection on top of it (which some of the braces a Dr would prescribe don’t even offer).
They look pretty heavy and bulky in photos, but once you have them on (and adjusted) then they are very light and not restrictive at all (in normal range of motion). Lots of adjustments so you can fine-tune the fit and get them just right.
If you notice the small buckle on the bottom front portion of the brace in the photo… that’s a spot where you can attach a tether from the brace to your boot to protect against injuries where you foot is twisted in one direction or another. All around, I’d say these are by far the best.

Knee Braces? AsteriskCell2
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 3:05 am

CopaMundial wrote:
If you want real protection for your knee joint then you have two choices IMO.
(1) Get a prescription from an Orthopedic doc for custom braces (CTi, Donjoy or similar). The upside there is that your medical insurance would likely pay at least part of the $1000 price tag.
OR…
(2) Stop shopping, and go buy Asterisks .
They definitely get two thumbs up on the Copa scale.
Excellent joint protection from forces in all directions, including twisting, and impact protection on top of it (which some of the braces a Dr would prescribe don’t even offer).
They look pretty heavy and bulky in photos, but once you have them on (and adjusted) then they are very light and not restrictive at all (in normal range of motion). Lots of adjustments so you can fine-tune the fit and get them just right.
If you notice the small buckle on the bottom front portion of the brace in the photo… that’s a spot where you can attach a tether from the brace to your boot to protect against injuries where you foot is twisted in one direction or another. All around, I’d say these are by far the best.

Knee Braces? AsteriskCell2

What he said. I've got really messed up knees and nothing touches the Asterisks. As I understand it, they are the commercial division of CTI, but actually have better protection in terms of impact.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: braces for me knees   Knee Braces? EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:00 am

I'm glad to hear this affirmation because I've committed to buying a pair and I only have 12 miles on my WR. I'm 52 years old and just can't take any more hyper-extension or twisting. It's a big chunk of change at a price controlled $599. At least Cycle Gear is having a 10% off sale May 15, 2010 (for those of you reading this post before that date). I called the nearby store and they have them in stock. So I'll go there this weekend to try them on with my boots and riding pants. The manager there made sure I knew about the discount when I called, so maybe he'll hold a pair for me till sale day.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Asterisk knee brace follow-up   Knee Braces? EmptySat May 22, 2010 4:33 pm

I've had my Asterisk Knee Braces for a week now and put in a few off-road rides including one 5-hr ride. I would say these things are the bees knees, but then someone would have to shoot me. Seriously though, I'm quite happy with them.

Start by measuring your knee as per the instructions to get the right size. From there, the range of adjustability is excellent. I set mine for maximum hyper-extension control, which seems to be just under 180°, so walking or even just standing around is a bit ungainly. The important thing though is riding. The braces are completely transparent, don't even know I have them on. Right now I'm wearing Sidi On-Road boots, which are tall at about 14". They come right up to the bottom of the brace, so there's full shin protection. My riding pants are Olympia Air-Glide II. I don't have dedicated off-road wear...yet. These pants have armored/padded knees and there is no interference.

I've put my foot down hard a couple of times at very low speed, probably nothing injurious in the first place, but my legs felt supported and that is comforting. A couple more times of getting dressed with these and I think I'll have a system.
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 am

I used to do hare scrambles, and I used these braces a lot. These are excellent braces for the money. I got a used pair off eBay for about 400.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Knee Braces? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knee Braces?   Knee Braces? Empty

Back to top Go down

Knee Braces?
Page 1 of 1