Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Power commander vs fm for programer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Iceburg7

Power commander vs fm for programer Empty
PostSubject: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Thinking of getting a programer which do you like and why?
Back to top Go down
YAMAHA11.10.1775

PostSubject: Re: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Seems to be generally a dead horse topic here, but this is my $.02. When considering a programmer I kept an ear to the forum as well as browsing a few catalogs. The common call was for either the FMF or the PCV F&I controller. So from there I ran over to the Dyno-shop that my dealership works closely with and asked them what they had been seeing the best numbers with. The set-up they recommended (especially with the pipe and Muffler combo I was going to run) was the PCV, noting to be certain you got the one that controls fuel and ignition. They did also give me a heads up that for a short while there it seems Dyno-jet had a problem with their product packaging for a little bit, letting a few of the fuel only programmers slip into fuel and ignition controllers. They did say that Dyno-jet was very helpful and punctual about correcting the problem, just make sure you take the time to confirm. My other reasoning for choosing the PCV was the option of having two maps that can be easily changed with the optional map switch, this was important to me as I commute on my '12 WRR, as well as taking it trail riding. I wanted that option because a set of RAD manufacturing supermoto wheels is in the works for the near future, to be able to facilitate some better street tires/ road gearing for when I am commuting. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Now dont get me wrong, this is just my opinion, for what you get with a pipe and a programmer, look at setting the suspension up for your weight and riding style, a stock horse power bike set up properly will be close if not even faster than one with all the power adders, maybe 2 to 4 horse power, handling and tires are far more important, just my 2c worth from an old (old) rider hahaha cheer`s
Back to top Go down
YAMAHA11.10.1775

PostSubject: Re: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
Now dont get me wrong, this is just my opinion, for what you get with a pipe and a programmer, look at setting the suspension up for your weight and riding style, a stock horse power bike set up properly will be close if not even faster than one with all the power adders, maybe 2 to 4 horse power, handling and tires are far more important, just my 2c worth from an old (old) rider hahaha cheer`s
^ding ding ding. I absolutely agree, too many people are trying to chase ponies without thinking about if or how they can apply it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 pm

I put the Dobeck AFR+ on mine, and it works well for what I was willing to spend and ease of use. In my opinion, if you aren't going closed loop at cruise or setting to an AFR under load, you're missing out on power and can do damage since you literally are going "seat of the pants" unless you're using a wideband and watching it. The Dobeck AFR and the PCV are the only ones that do that. The Power Commander is for folks that want to tinker, and the Dobeck is for folks that want to set an AFR and just ride the heck out of the machine. One warning though, the air injection needs to be blocked off, or the AFR will hunt until the cat lights off (function in the ECU that turns the valve on and off when cold).

Bang and smiles for the buck, I'd do the suspension and tires first. Turns it into a machine you can trust at high speeds in the dirt versus something that is trying to buck you off in the woops. Having real rebound control over the rear end is a must. Pick the tires that best suit your terrain and level of road/trail use and have the suspension set up for your intended use. Travis at Go-Race knows what he's doing, and there are others. My 2015 rear shock had the same issues that they've had since 2008, and he fixed them. It's worth it, just do it. You don't need 2HP if you can't plant it.

Been riding for a long time also, and feel the same way Fiftygrit does about that. Don't want to date myself, but I had a brand new 1977 DT100 early in my riding experience. And it wasn't the first bike. Ouch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power commander vs fm for programer   Power commander vs fm for programer Empty

Back to top Go down

Power commander vs fm for programer
Page 1 of 1